HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I must be crazy too then
^I thought doctors didn't like this building?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
^I thought doctors didn't like this building?
I'm an air traffic controller.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I know the pillars are staying but are they going to get clad in something or painted?
Well, they're nicely illuminated in the renders. I have to imagine they'll get stainless cladding, like Trump's columns. Here's to hoping Related makes the right call.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:05 PM
dream fast

3/11

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:37 PM

Why would they clad the lower floors last (with the glass)? Does it have something to do with that needing a further cleaning/inspection due to it being the unique circumstance of the hulking shell it was for several years and/or the parking integrated into the tower itself rather than a newly-traditional large base? Or did the just need the parking un-clad in order to haul in further materials? I'm not a construction expert, that is why I ask.

Don't most recent towers (435 Park, 73 E Lake, Aqua, etc) start cladding from the ground up?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
Why would they clad the lower floors last (with the glass)? Does it have something to do with that needing a further cleaning/inspection due to it being the unique circumstance of the hulking shell it was for several years and/or the parking integrated into the tower itself rather than a newly-traditional large base? Or did the just need the parking un-clad in order to haul in further materials? I'm not a construction expert, that is why I ask.

Don't most recent towers (435 Park, 73 E Lake, Aqua, etc) start cladding from the ground up?
The site is VERY tight, supplies and equipment are staged in what will be the 1st floor lobby.

Chicago has lots of exposed concrete - including most of the streets and many of our bridges, survives the weather just fine as long as you don't bury it in salt.
Just a block east 55 W Wacker - exposed for all these years ;-)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho View Post

I'm not certain but it makes sense to me that you would want to cover the the new floors from the weather first as opposed to covering the portion that has been open to the weather for years first.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I'm not certain but it makes sense to me that you would want to cover the the new floors from the weather first as opposed to covering the portion that has been open to the weather for years first.
The "new floors" were left exposed until cladding was ready to start. The building is concrete - stands up very very well to wind/rain/snow.

March 2013

Aug 2013

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:29 PM

Thanks Harry & rlw for answering my question.

I guess Related is taking a liberal approach to "opening Summer 2014", as it is only 10 weeks to the start of summer (Memorial Day), although I bet the cold winter set them back a bit. Maybe opening in August sometime?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 6:26 PM

What a difference a year makes in the once abandoned project.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Chicago has lots of exposed concrete - including most of the streets and many of our bridges, survives the weather just fine as long as you don't bury it in salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
The "new floors" were left exposed until cladding was ready to start. The building is concrete - stands up very very well to wind/rain/snow.
Concrete does hold up to the weather fairly well but it's not immune to weather. It doesn't crack because it's buried in salt it cracks because water has a greater volume in a solid state. When water get's into the pores of concrete it creates pressure when it freezes which causes cracking and deterioration.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 4:02 PM

March 12

March 13
Working on elevators behind the temporary wall ?

March 14

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 4:20 PM
THAT Guy

Looks like they wisely toned it down at the base

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 8:02 PM
TL;DR

Huh, they toned it down? You posted a rendering last summer and I don't see any major changes apart from the Related banners (looks like Related may be moving their offices here from the less-glamorous block of Hubbard they're on now).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Huh, they toned it down? You posted a rendering last summer and I don't see any major changes apart from the Related banners (looks like Related may be moving their offices here from the less-glamorous block of Hubbard they're on now).
Those were up last year too

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:43 AM

So there are two retail spaces and possibly office space for Related?

It's been disappointing to see these new office towers in the city totally removing any relevant mid-scale retail (fast food/coffee/deli/dry cleaners etc.) from their bases/atrium areas (111 S. Wacker, 155 N. Wacker, 300 LaSalle, etc.) other than the token high end restaurant and the (admittedly stunning) glass high ceiling reception areas.

So good to see that some new residential high rises in the city aren't necessarily following suit.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:01 AM
TL;DR

New construction buildings aren't really supposed to host that kind of business anyway. In a place like the Loop, older buildings offer the low rents that small businesses need, often in less-prominent locations.

Right by OneEleven, Lake St is lined with everyday retail. So is Wells. Why would a developer market space directly on Wacker to that kind of use when he could make so much more money with a boutique restaurant?

Many new office buildings do in fact set aside space for this, but it doesn't usually get a prominent place in the building. River Point will have a Starbucks, but it's tucked away on the Canal Street side.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 9:05 PM

This might just be a factor of the position of the sun and the observer, but today I noticed how 77 W Wacker reflected off the side of this building and couldn't decide how I felt about it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
This might just be a factor of the position of the sun and the observer, but today I noticed how 77 W Wacker reflected off the side of this building and couldn't decide how I felt about it.
The effect is very pronounced on sunny days for an hour or so after noon - not a big fan.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i think the effect is actually kinda cool.

77 w. wacker has never looked better

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive