Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:13 PM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I don't see the Tokyo resemblance....

Tokyo

Houston.

Either way, I liked the tour. It's rare to see Houston on this site outside of the downtown core.
To be fair, I have noticed the Tokyo resemblance too. Not to tokyo proper, but to the outlying residential areas where there are miles of wall to wall single family homes with postage stamp sized lots. The only difference is that suburban Tokyo isn't on a grid.

As for the power lines, I like them, especially some of the bigger ones. It makes the city feel less like a park and more like some kind of organic machine.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:05 PM
BANNED

The difference couldn't be more stark. Houston looks Brasilia or an ugly Perth, or some other boring sprawl city. Tokyo is a real dynamic mature city, Houston is a child city who doesn't quite know what it wants yet, if it wants to be countryside or city.

Tokyo people like mingling in crowds and aren't shy to use their city. Houstonians shun their central city instead preferring to live more isolated lives in sprawling suburbs. They have made the decision that life is better when one is rather isolated from each other either by space or the metal and glass frame of a car. They made the choice to shun their downtown and make a hash of its development, now they have live with it. They claim to like it. They are an alien species to me. Then again, I like cities where one isn't always in one's car and can walk here and there.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post

What many people fail to understand is that many of those NYC brownstones also have yards, some actually pretty large. The yards just happen to be hidden in the back instead of as a buffer in the front.
Comparing NYC to Houston just doesn't work.

Quote:
Also, in conjunction with having backyards, many people just go to neighborhood parks for greenery, walking dogs, exercise, etc.
There are no parks, dogs, or exercising in Houston everyone just stays indoors.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The difference couldn't be more stark. Houston looks Brasilia or an ugly Perth, or some other boring sprawl city. Tokyo is a real dynamic mature city, Houston is a child city who doesn't quite know what it wants yet, if it wants to be countryside or city.

Tokyo people like mingling in crowds and aren't shy to use their city. Houstonians shun their central city instead preferring to live more isolated lives in sprawling suburbs. They have made the decision that life is better when one is rather isolated from each other either by space or the metal and glass frame of a car. They made the choice to shun their downtown and make a hash of its development, now they have live with it. They claim to like it. They are an alien species to me. Then again, I like cities where one isn't always in one's car and can walk here and there.
Another person who completely missed the Tokyo and Houston comparison but thanks for your comment.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:36 AM

Quote:

You seem interested in hijacking (and ruining) what was a good thread. You also need to understand the full picture before making sweeping generalizations (e.g., do some research on what the inner loop is all about before making a statement that "Houstonians shun their central city....".

Last edited by AviationGuy; Mar 7, 2012 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:04 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
I dont like where they decided to put all this stucco. There is nothing wrong with the style but why do they slap this stuff up in the middle of nice neighborhoods. Why not go fill a parking lot downtown with them? Like the one of the four next to your new apartment.
4? Shit, Houston House is completely surrounded by parking lots. Its like a ghost town around here.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
You seem interested in hijacking (and ruining) what was a good thread. You also need to understand the full picture before making sweeping generalizations (e.g., do some research on what the inner loop is all about before making a statement that "Houstonians shun their central city....".
I'm sure it's very nice, but don't mention Houston and Tokyo in the same sentence.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:27 AM

Quote:
I'm sure it's very nice, but don't mention Houston and Tokyo in the same sentence.
Not even Tokyo is denser and more walkable than Houston will ever be? You seriously missed the initial comparison.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
4? Shit, Houston House is completely surrounded by parking lots. Its like a ghost town around here.
Why did you move to Houston House if you don't mind me asking? Relatively inexpensive high rise living?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:30 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yeah, its less than a grand a month for my apartment and has a kick ass view. Theres a light rail stop just a block away so I usually head down to Rice Village in the evenings or over to all the new developments in Freedmans Town just across from 45.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Not even Tokyo is denser and more walkable than Houston will ever be? You seriously missed the initial comparison.
In the last month I've seen other similar posts from Aquablue. His remarks would be best ignored.

Again, great photo thread. Please keep 'em coming.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Comparing NYC to Houston just doesn't work.
Amen, ain't that the truth...

Quote:
There are no parks, dogs, or exercising in Houston everyone just stays indoors.
Hell, you coulda fooled me...because I didn't see ANY of those things in the pictures in this thread.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yeah man, Aquablue has like a personal vendetta against Houston. I remember in one thread, he saw a picture of some construction site in Houston and went on and on about how shitty Houston was and how it looks like a desert and how could anyone live there!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:14 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

enuf with the Tokyo comparisons and Houston bashing.

Thanks for the photos. I like the variety a lot. I would have to agree though that some seem fortress-like and unfriendly but it sure beats a whole line of modern cookie-cutter townhomes.

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Hell, you coulda fooled me...because I didn't see ANY of those things in the pictures in this thread.
Well did you not notice my thread title? Townhome madness? Nor park or people riding bikes or running or walking dog madness....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Amen, ain't that the truth...
I know I know NYC is the greatest city there ever was, ever will be, etc and nothing, especially lowly Houston should be mentioned in the same breath. Glad to see elitism and snobbery are still alive and well on the east coast.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
enuf with the Tokyo comparisons and Houston bashing.

Thanks for the photos. I like the variety a lot. I would have to agree though that some seem fortress-like and unfriendly but it sure beats a whole line of modern cookie-cutter townhomes.
Thanks. I wanted to show the unfriendly, the ugly, the weird, and the cool which is Houston.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:47 PM
urbanpln

People who bash usually have some insecurities. I like some of those projects especially the building with the wood and metal panels. There are some similar buildings in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:20 AM

The two New Yorkers who have posted in this thread have poorly represented NYC. I've found NYC to be quite friendly. But there are always bad apples (pun intended!).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:34 AM

i meant from a ground level, obviously not by skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos