HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
This could be a huge positive to keeping the Chargers in San Diego... can anyone say, Los Angeles Vikings?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...erious-setback
I really hope so.

Even though I no longer live in San Diego, the Chargers need to stay there.

If they ever had an opportunity to move to Portland though I'd support that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:01 PM
Babylon falling

Agree about the twins concept, lets mix it up an bit. This project is a bit uninspiring and I would like to see the towers a bit thinner and taller. What is the height on those as they stand now?

About the Vikings moving to LA. Chargers wouldn't be totally out of the woods because there is a lot of talk about having one NFC and one AFC team in LA. So if the Vikings moved first, the Chargers could simply move in and be a "tenant" in the new stadium without selling a piece of the team.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 5:55 PM

Two teams in the same city is stupid. Shoot neither the Giants or the Jets play in New York. They should at least give Jersey some recognition. The New Jersey Jets has a nice ring to it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 9:06 PM

The California Coastal Commission voted unanimously Wednesday against the Navy’s redevelopment plans for its 16-acre waterfront property, concluding that it is no longer consistent with state coastal requirements.

The vote, taken at the commission's meeting in Oceanside, will further delay a project that has been in the works for two decades.

The Navy had earlier informed state coastal officials that it does not agree with that agency's findings. Commission staff said it expects the next step will be to either enter into mediation or file a new lawsuit against the Navy.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...development-p/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplesla View Post
The California Coastal Commission voted unanimously Wednesday against the Navy’s redevelopment plans for its 16-acre waterfront property, concluding that it is no longer consistent with state coastal requirements.

The vote, taken at the commission's meeting in Oceanside, will further delay a project that has been in the works for two decades.

The Navy had earlier informed state coastal officials that it does not agree with that agency's findings. Commission staff said it expects the next step will be to either enter into mediation or file a new lawsuit against the Navy.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...development-p/
Does this surprise anybody?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Does this surprise anybody?
It's a wonder how anything at all happens here. It's no wonder businesses can't wait to leave...too bad for the Navy they're stuck here!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:06 PM
Pipe Layer

The proposal by Manchester isn't worthy of that location. That bayfront 16 acre parcel is arguably one of the most desired spaces for urban development in the entire country and that's the best they can do? A bunch of bland rectangles and squares.

If there was a place to put something iconic for San Diego then this is no doubt the best place for that. Aside from the potential jobs being delayed, maybe it's a good thing it was rejected. It needs to get done right! This proposal just screams "We are San Diego! We are mediocre!"

http://www.signonsandiego.com/

Manchester is the absolute worst bunch to put in charge of this project. They gave us the uninspiring Hilton and French Chateau Tower (Hyatt). Just put me at the helm of this project and I can draw something up more creative and fitting for that location in a couple hours.

Last edited by mongoXZ; Nov 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoXZ View Post
The proposal by Manchester isn't worthy of that location. That bayfront 16 acre parcel is arguably one of the most desired spaces for urban development in the entire country and that's the best they can do? A bunch of bland rectangles and squares.

If there was a place to put something iconic for San Diego then this is no doubt the best place for that. Aside from the potential jobs being delayed, maybe it's a good thing it was rejected. It needs to get done right! This proposal just screams "We are San Diego! We are mediocre!"

http://www.signonsandiego.com/

Manchester is the absolute worst bunch to put in charge of this project. They gave us the uninspiring Hilton and French Chateau Tower (Hyatt). Just put me at the helm of this project and I can draw something up more creative and fitting for that location in a couple hours.
What do you expect in san diego?? something like in dubai??

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 1:29 AM
Category Five

Hey I like the French Chateau Tower...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Agreed. It lacks originality. A space like that on the waterfront should not be wasted, we need some nice, original design and modern.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklo Velka View Post
Agreed. It lacks originality. A space like that on the waterfront should not be wasted, we need some nice, original design and modern.
Which is never going to happen, no matter how hard anyone tries.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 8:30 AM
In urbansim we trust

Quote:
Which is never going to happen, no matter how hard anyone tries.
We need a Bilbao effect on the waterfront, and not Gehry. I say open a huge international competition and invite progressive firms to bring a big idea to the waterfront - BIG.dk

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
We need a Bilbao effect on the waterfront, and not Gehry. I say open a huge international competition and invite progressive firms to bring a big idea to the waterfront - BIG.dk
Even then, what ever anybody comes up with is going to have a hard time getting approved.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Even then, what ever anybody comes up with is going to have a hard time getting approved.
Cause San Diego is so damn picky lol.. no matter what they offer to san diego you're gonna have people who like it and some who don't.. you can never have something that everyone will like or love .. sooner or later developers are just gonna be like fuck it.. if you guys keep up with the "ew i don't like that i want this!!" "no give me something better i want more!!" "no thats too much give me something less!!" "no no no your all fucked up.. thats not enough!!"

WTF DO YOU WANT?!?!?! you're like bratty lil children!!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 5:18 AM
In urbansim we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesDreamin View Post
Cause San Diego is so damn picky lol.. no matter what they offer to san diego you're gonna have people who like it and some who don't.. you can never have something that everyone will like or love .. sooner or later developers are just gonna be like fuck it.. if you guys keep up with the "ew i don't like that i want this!!" "no give me something better i want more!!" "no thats too much give me something less!!" "no no no your all fucked up.. thats not enough!!"

WTF DO YOU WANT?!?!?! you're like bratty lil children!!

One quick look at what has been built in this city it's difficult to say that people 'are so damn picky'.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
One quick look at what has been built in this city it's difficult to say that people 'are so damn picky'.
hahaha - that's just what I was thinking! It's not like this city is packed with world-class architecture. I'd be delighted if SD got something like Manchester's proposal because based on what's downtown now, I am afraid the reality is going to be so much worse.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 3:42 PM

They're bouncing off the walls, in Austin, over the convention hotel Manchester has planned for there.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 4:49 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
They're bouncing off the walls, in Austin, over the convention hotel Manchester has planned for there.
Is that a positive reaction? This NBC thing is a tough call while I agree that the current proposal is very bland I think that if we wait to try and come up with a project that pleases everyone (or more than 50%) something may never be built.

So here we are with Lane Field still with no start date and NBC delayed indefinitely I think we run the risk of having parking lots sitting at the waterfront for decades to come if we don't get going soon. The economy isn't going to get any better so we might as well put some shovels in the dirt now.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Is that a positive reaction? This NBC thing is a tough call while I agree that the current proposal is very bland I think that if we wait to try and come up with a project that pleases everyone (or more than 50%) something may never be built.

So here we are with Lane Field still with no start date and NBC delayed indefinitely I think we run the risk of having parking lots sitting at the waterfront for decades to come if we don't get going soon. The economy isn't going to get any better so we might as well put some shovels in the dirt now.
Positive, ecstasy bordering on gibberishness.

Re: Lane Field, first time I visited San Diego was in 1990. And at that time the redevelopment of Lane Field was in the 'advanced planning stage.'

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 8:00 PM
Time to musk up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
They were bouncing off the walls (in a positive way) when the first proposal was made public. It was a beautiful, tall building that most architecture enthusiasts were proud of, even for those who are very picky in Austin. However, word is that the proposal had since been shortened (because of an addition of a helipad) and the spire was cut out. So along with the changes, and Manchester's homophobic past, many people aren't bouncing any longer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations