Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:37 AM
Heart of the Continent

I hate green tea. My fiancee loves it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I hate green tea. My fiancee loves it.
Yeah, you either love it or hate it. Maybe a good future surprise for your fiancee

In the big super markets here there is an entire section that is nothing but green tea flavoured snacks.

They have green tea Aero bars as well

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:03 AM

I love Vanilla Coke and am disappointed I can never find it up here.

Cherry Coke is also a favorite of mine. It seems they do a can-run of Cherry Coke every 3 months or so it seems. Costco used to have them through the summer. Now I seem to find it in Walmart every 3rd month or so, in a 24-pack tray. Next time I'll probably try to get two packs for my lunch drinks.

One thing I loved that never came up here and seems to be disappearing in the States is the Mr Goodbar's. The mini ones are in the Hershey's Assorted Minibar bags for Hallowe'en, but hte big ones are never here. And even when I'm in the states, they seem to be disappearing.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I love Vanilla Coke and am disappointed I can never find it up here.

Cherry Coke is also a favorite of mine. It seems they do a can-run of Cherry Coke every 3 months or so it seems. Costco used to have them through the summer. Now I seem to find it in Walmart every 3rd month or so, in a 24-pack tray. Next time I'll probably try to get two packs for my lunch drinks.

One thing I loved that never came up here and seems to be disappearing in the States is the Mr Goodbar's. The mini ones are in the Hershey's Assorted Minibar bags for Hallowe'en, but hte big ones are never here. And even when I'm in the states, they seem to be disappearing.
A lot of products with peanuts in them are disappearing. Peanut allergies are the reason.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 10:46 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The different brands of candy always come to mind. When I was growing up, it was all accessible because we lived right on the border. To be honest, I always preferred Mars to Milky Way and Oh Henry to Baby Ruth. And Americans don't have Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp or Smarties.
Chocolate bar selection is one area where Americans really lag behind Canadians. They are either missing the best ones, or their versions suck in comparison.

In my experience, convenience stores often sell unusual soft drink flavours that you don't normal find in the grocery store. I came across some Pineapple Crush in my local corner store, and I see Vanilla and Cherry Coke all the time (with stickers on them so that they comply with nutritional labelling guidelines).

My guilty pleasure from the US would have to be Ale-8-One. It's in the 7-Up/Sprite class of beverages and oh so satisfying after a hot, tiring day of climbing. It's mostly only distributed in Kentucky and a few nearby areas in neighbouring states.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 1:08 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
You guys are lucky to have so many flavours!

In Japan the pop selection is, well, what selection?

Pretty much it is only this:

Pepsi / coke and their diet variety
Sprite / 7-Up (the two pops I like the least).
Canada Dry (makes me proud!)
and then Fanta (usually grape and orange)

Then there is a Japanese only variety called Melon Soda.

After that, nothing.

You need to go to special import stores (that are super expensive) to maybe find Dr. Pepper and if you are lucky, A&W Rootbeer.
China is pretty much the same. Dr. Pepper and Root Beer are at least 4 times as expensive as Coke/Pepsi, and that's if you can find them at all.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
China is pretty much the same. Dr. Pepper and Root Beer are at least 4 times as expensive as Coke/Pepsi, and that's if you can find them at all.
I miss Root Beer so much. I actually prefer Root Beer when eating pizza over beer. I say this with shame in my eyes (for I do love beer so much), but it is true. Something about the combination of good pizza (also scarce in Japan) and Root Beer that can't be altered.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 1:34 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Every item in this thread is absolutely terrible for you.
Until now.

Easily the best Greek yogurt (by country of origin and style of yogurt) is available in the US, but not in Canada.

http://usa.fage.eu/

Try to figure out the pronunciation. No Google cheating ...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 2:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
You guys are lucky to have so many flavours!

In Japan the pop selection is, well, what selection?

Pretty much it is only this:

Pepsi / coke and their diet variety
Sprite / 7-Up (the two pops I like the least).
Canada Dry (makes me proud!)
and then Fanta (usually grape and orange)

Then there is a Japanese only variety called Melon Soda.

After that, nothing.

You need to go to special import stores (that are super expensive) to maybe find Dr. Pepper and if you are lucky, A&W Rootbeer.

Where Japan rocks variety is with Kit-Kat chocolate bars, they love kit-kats!

There is normal
Dark chocolate
White chocolate
Cheese Cake
Pumpkin
Green Tea
Strawberry
Cookies and Cream
and others

As for the Canada / America divide. When I was a child we had American friends accross the border we would see once every 6 months or so.

Every time we went we would bring them a box of Coffee Crisps (cant buy in the US at the time...maybe still today?) and they would give us a box of Baby Ruths (could not buy in Canada at the time, but i have seen them in BC now starting about 10 years ago).

Yeah, but you get Pocari Sweat! (terrible name for a drink)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 2:28 PM

Haha, yeah, it feels like it is straight out of Tropic Thunder.

In all honesty, the best way to describe Pocari Sweat is "mildly flavoured water" IMO.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 3:43 AM

As far as products go, there are only a few I feel as though Canadians are missing out on. Namely all the different flavours of Mountain Dew found in the States, and Tillamook dairy products (specifically their ice cream).

Now as far as stores I wish we had... That's a much longer list

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 4:20 AM

When I lived in South Africa, I developed a taste for Appletiser, a brand of carbonated apple juice. I haven't seen it in Canada for years and wish it were available.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:22 AM
lets race

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It's being sold right now as part of their share a Coke campaign. Also Costco and some No Frills have been selling it since 2014. It's not bottled in Canada though so the amount sold would be limited and might also exclude Quebec because the labels would not be bilingual.

Here's one item they used to sell here waaaaay back when I was a kid but no longer carry it.

from amazon.com
hey dude i havent read the whole thread but the banana powder nesquik can be bougt any any specialty candy store that stocks stuff from overseas. there are a bunch in downtown TO. i nkow how special that powder is!

also ANY Korean corner store (koreatown, cabbagetown) stocks cherry coke, other american sodas/drinks, and american cereals/snacks. they do special runs and group buys from the US.

also for all these japanese snacks hit up Sanko on queen west or Heisei mart in Jtown! They stock everything. Even the korean stores like PAT in koreatown stocks stuff.

enjoy!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 11:17 AM

Same is true for Vancouver many Korean. Chinese, and Japanese markets that sell many of these products, but the prices are usually quite high (especially for the less common / seasonal variety)and there are still a few varieties that wont be found at all.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:36 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Until now.

Easily the best Greek yogurt (by country of origin and style of yogurt) is available in the US, but not in Canada.

Here in Scandinavia, Skyr (Icelandic yoghurt) is very popular and it compares well to Greek yoghurt. Is it in Canada yet?

There is a company bringing it into the States; I saw it in Ralph's over Christmas.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:40 PM

I'm not incredibly travelled, but I'm trying to remember if there is anything I've seen South of the border that I really wish we had here... Every unique product seems to be excessively sugary and/or otherwise unhealthy. (Pork Rinds, all of the "chocolate"...)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

pork rinds are sold at Walmart here in SW ontario.

Sounds gross.

Also, I saw Skyr at Costco not too long ago.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I'm not incredibly travelled, but I'm trying to remember if there is anything I've seen South of the border that I really wish we had here... Every unique product seems to be excessively sugary and/or otherwise unhealthy. (Pork Rinds, all of the "chocolate"...)
There are some vegetables here in Japan that I wish were grown and sold regularly in Canada, renkon is one of my favorites (lotus root).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:21 PM
DRINK

Is Coors Banquet available across the country now? It's been in Alberta for a few years and is pretty much solely responsible for the beer belly I'm developing.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:49 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Is Coors Banquet available across the country now? It's been in Alberta for a few years and is pretty much solely responsible for the beer belly I'm developing.

It's been available in the LCBO in Ontario for a few years now. I assume the Beer store too, but I haven't been to one in at least 3 years.

Not a huge fan but when it's hot out it is one of my go-to beers to drink in the park / backyard / patio. Especially after a long bike ride. Ice cold, of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada