HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 5:15 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I don't think that industrial land is well suited to transit, no matter what you do. The density per worker is just too low. Office is much better suited.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 5:28 AM

Well if they were replacing those industrial lands with high density office projects, then that would be good, more local jobs, but instead it is just going to be more condos.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:22 AM

in a sense we need a mix of both... which i haven't really seen occur yet.

i think this might be due to low office demand and high land prices.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:59 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
in a sense we need a mix of both... which i haven't really seen occur yet.

i think this might be due to low office demand and high land prices.
Now if only someone was willing to develop a office tower with a industrial podium. I've been trying to make something in sketchup along that lines, but let's just say my sketchup skills are pretty craptastic at this point.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well if they were replacing those industrial lands with high density office projects, then that would be good, more local jobs, but instead it is just going to be more condos.
they are trying to move burnabys industrial to the south along the river and make this area residential

dumb idea but thats what they are doing - i would think riverside condos and hwy #1 industrial parks would make more sense

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 7:58 PM

Fantastic point SpongeG. Does it not make sense to keep the industrial grounds close the highway 1? If they are all moved into south Burnaby that is going to clog up Marine Way all the way to Brunette interchange even worse.

Again, that entire area should remain office and industrial with condos only built directly around the M- Line stations. No more rezoning, there is plenty of low density residential landi n the area to build condos upon without taking land out of commercial and industrial zones.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:39 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahbahblacksheep View Post
also, the developer said that the city of Burnaby wants to get rid of all those ugly big industrial stores/offices and turn that whole area into a nice PARK! and douglas road will be closed off (turned into a cul-de-sac) when perspectives complete. no more turning right or left onto lougheed highway. that should quiet down the area a bit. and dawson street will be extended all the way to douglas road.
The dead end section of Dawson east of Beta is about to get busy.

Does anyone have the link to Burnaby's future road network in this area ? They need to get Still Creek Ave connected with the new Wayburne overpass asap.

pics from today.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they are trying to move burnabys industrial to the south along the river and make this area residential

dumb idea but thats what they are doing - i would think riverside condos and hwy #1 industrial parks would make more sense
how do you know the city of burnaby is moving the industrial crap to south bby? where do you find that out?

East Van, thank you for the photos. it appears that they are working on the 8th floor (7th storey) now. the developer told me it has 33 floors (29 stories in total), excluding floors 4, 13 (as usual), 14, and 24. suites with "4" never sold well with the Asian community. =P

i found this online: http://www.burnaby.ca/cityhall/depar...ts_Issued.html ("New 29 storey residential apartment building/215 units on 4 levels of underground parking. *Refer to MASTER PERMIT BLD07-01568 for construction value, fees paid, and total # of units.")

And behind the tower will be 8 townhomes facing dawson street ("4901-4923 Dawson St- 8 new townhouse units *Refer to MASTER PERMIT BLD07-01568 for construction value, fees paid, and total # of units.")

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 6:07 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

The problem with putting larger buildings in big bend is that they're built over what used to be cranberry fields. That area is a fair ways out into the delta, so they'd probably have to add a fair bit of piling before they could add more floors.

May as well dense on competent soil.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 8:13 AM

Quote:
how do you know the city of burnaby is moving the industrial crap to south bby? where do you find that out?

East Van, thank you for the photos. it appears that they are working on the 8th floor (7th storey) now. the developer told me it has 33 floors (29 stories in total), excluding floors 4, 13 (as usual), 14, and 24. suites with "4" never sold well with the Asian community. =P

i found this online: http://www.burnaby.ca/cityhall/depar...ts_Issued.html ("New 29 storey residential apartment building/215 units on 4 levels of underground parking. *Refer to MASTER PERMIT BLD07-01568 for construction value, fees paid, and total # of units.")

And behind the tower will be 8 townhomes facing dawson street ("4901-4923 Dawson St- 8 new townhouse units *Refer to MASTER PERMIT BLD07-01568 for construction value, fees paid, and total # of units.")
it doesn't take a genuius to drive down marine way and see the growing industrial office parks in south burnaby

its in the plan for the area - which is available somewhere on this forum that shows the "industrial" area around brentwood south east to be replaced with towers, apartments and a school or tow and some parks

they knocked down a building to put up two towers which have since been cancelled apparently

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Van View Post
Quote:
also, the developer said that the city of Burnaby wants to get rid of all those ugly big industrial stores/offices and turn that whole area into a nice PARK! and douglas road will be closed off (turned into a cul-de-sac) when perspectives complete. no more turning right or left onto lougheed highway. that should quiet down the area a bit. and dawson street will be extended all the way to douglas road.
The dead end section of Dawson east of Beta is about to get busy.

Does anyone have the link to Burnaby's future road network in this area ? They need to get Still Creek Ave connected with the new Wayburne overpass asap.
no thanks to the wayburne overpass + i doubt its going to happen anytime soon. But go ahead and extend dawson to douglas. I live directly south of perspectives, 5 years ago great view not so much any more.

I'd actually rather keep that crappy low rise industrial in the area, its unobtrusive for us residents south of the hwy1, and its has its benefits like a purolator distribution centre so i can pick up my missed packages in 5 mins or less.

i guess i'm now a nimby

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 6:29 PM

last year my partner and i almost bought into this building but changed our minds, good thing we bought into mt pleasant instead and are way better for it, anyways, from what the developer showed me was everything south of the tracks will stay industrial and everything north from holden stn to gilmore stn will be a mix of low to high rise with some mix use developments along major roads, should be really nice when all completed since there will parks and schools built as well.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:31 PM

update

soruce: me (10 minutes ago)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 9:31 PM

Thank you for the shot. It certainly has gained some height since the last time I was in the area.

I wonder if anyone has information about what the ground level will be like? It looks like a typical tower-in-the-park approach but I wonder how it will meet the street. Also, isn't the street it is facting onto supposed to be the neighbourhood's commercial high street? The Tandem and OMA developments near the Gilmore station got the ball rolling on this endeavour.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:15 AM

in the plan I saw that street, if its the one I am thinking of, will become a dead end and traffic will be rerouted to holdom to access lougheed and the commercial in that area is set to become residential and a smaller local street with less traffic - the dawson extension is to be used to access perspectives isn't it?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:19 AM

tGill: Thank you for the photo update. Seems to be going up at one floor/week!

SFUVancouver: The tower seems to face kinda between Lougheed and Douglas. The developer said the tower will have a Douglas Road address (sounds better than Lougheed Highway, I guess). The developer told me there will be no commercial directly in front of the tower or facing Dawson…she said there MIGHT be commercial directly west of Perspectives on Lougheed between Perspectives and Memento, where there is currently a ghetto car dealership. =P

SpongeG: Yes, Douglas will supposedly become a cul-de-sac where Perspectives residents/visitors can enter the parking lot. And the Dawson extension is for the townhome residents.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:40 AM

that car dealership is awful - if it moves and stays commercial i wonder what work there i'd hate to see a trip mall type thing but it might be better than the car dealership

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 6:29 AM

Last edited by bahbahblacksheep; Dec 9, 2009 at 8:34 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 7:24 AM

Perspectives as of November 15, 2009:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:33 AM

Perspectives as of December 8, 2009

…FYI, Affinity by Bosa has seemed to have replaced Luxe: http://affinitybybosa.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley