HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:25 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I just thought I'd share of few user comments regarding this article, good for a few laughs I promise.
Ah yahoo news..attracting the internet's finest. Almost as good as the Sun chain's peanut gallery.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I wouldn't say it's that we don't like Montreal, everyone I know who's been to Montreal loves the city and people. I'd say it's that we are just sick of Quebec's bitching and whining about how bad they are treated by the rest of Canada even though y'all have the cheapest services and post-secondary education in the country if not the continent(thanks to the $2 000 per capita in transfer payments). We come in droves to stop separation because we don't want our incredible country divided(and Quebec is a huge part of the incredible-ness) and for some reason we have some hope that maybe the whining will stop someday and they will just be happy with the autonomy and 8 billion a year we give them.

I'm not saying everyone in Quebec is like that, but it's all we see in the news and shit, so it's how people see it. Plus that dirty b*tch of a premier that was just elected, talking about taking down the national flag in the Quebec Provincial legislature! Treasonous, ridiculous. That is probably what pisses me off the most, personally.
What a ignorant comment..

Quebec has the highest taxation rate in the country. If you want more service ( low tuition education, 7$ daycare , etc) , just ask your provincial governement to increase taxation .

I suggest you to read that: http://thoughtundermined.com/2012/04...isconceptions/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:39 PM
ARTchitecture

Okay so why are so many Quebecers always bitching and whining (protesting) about how disenfranchised they are and blah blah blah?

I never said I wanted any of that here, I said I(as well as many other people) want Quebec to stop it's self-victimization. If you're so disenfranchised, stop voting to stay with us. If you don't like such high taxes, tell your government to lower them. It's not like the feds are making Quebec pay the highest taxes.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:44 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Okay so why are so many Quebecers always bitching and whining (protesting) about how disenfranchised they are and blah blah blah?

I never said I wanted any of that here, I said I(as well as many other people) want Quebec to stop it's self-victimization. If you're so disenfranchised, stop voting to stay with us. If you don't like such high taxes, tell your government to lower them. It's not like the feds are making Quebec pay the highest taxes.
Who is bitching? Who and where are these people who speak of?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:47 PM
video et taceo

it's not quite like that. it's a demographics/social democracy thing. quebec isn't really "bitching" about any of the circumstances that constitute the federation. a certain percentage of quebecers want out (i'm not one of them). that's how it goes when a regional minority comes into its own. it's why kosovo is albanian now, and quasi-independent. it's a historical process, and doesn't have much to do with rates and treaties and numbers. nothing can be adjusted. they just don't see themselves as canadians. some never will. we're growing apart. it's going to be annoying and hard and maybe quite shitty (cf. kosovo), but whatever squawks and cries occur aren't the disease they're just the symptoms.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:47 PM
ARTchitecture

The insane protests over "how expenses university is" and that c*nt of a premier talking about taking down the national flag at the legislature, any number of things.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:50 PM
video et taceo

she doesn't want to be canadian. to her, it's a colonial power. she hates it when she sees that flag. i'd never have voted for her, but see it for what it is. it's not about whatever thing is conveniently lying around to make an issue of.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:55 PM
ARTchitecture

ohhh and an article I read in the paper today saying a pro-independence organization released a study saying that Canadian federation is committing "soft ethnocide" against Quebec. Apparently it identified 92 ways in which we prevent Quebec from developing its interests. Of course this study was funded by the b*tch premier and her party, and other pro-independence political parties.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:56 PM
ARTchitecture

If she doesn't want to be Canadian than she can get the fuck out. The English won the war 3 centuries ago, it's time to stop crying about it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:59 PM
video et taceo

i feel like that's not gonna solve the problem somehow. sometimes shit is weird and not everyone is on board and it's not all cut and dry. i don't know. whatever. i left.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:59 PM
ARTchitecture

Could a mod please delete this rant of mine? Wrong thread.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:02 PM
video et taceo

oh whatever. it'll just get buried under more other stuff. story of our (national) life

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Kool: I find there is a certain point in the Quebec-Canada issue where people say certain things that indicate that it is not possible to have an intelligent discussion with them. With apologies to Godwin, I call this Acajack's Law of Quebec-Canada Analogies. I humbly I think your interlocutor passed this point long ago. Your arguments and rationale are going over his head.

Chad: I have been reading you on here for a long time and usually enjoy your posts. I really thought you were better than this.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Chad: I have been reading you on here for a long time and usually enjoy your posts. I really thought you were better than this.
Same here

Quote:
The insane protests over "how expenses university is"

A debate about this very subject happened on ssp last year so I would have hoped such comments would be at least more nuanced...

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...=199524&page=4

Some of the things you've said in this last page are full of buzz words which are so often found in articles regarding Quebec in the National post... For someone who seems to be so interested in his country as a whole, I thought you would know better.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
ohhh and an article I read in the paper today saying a pro-independence organization released a study saying that Canadian federation is committing "soft ethnocide" against Quebec. Apparently it identified 92 ways in which we prevent Quebec from developing its interests. Of course this study was funded by the b*tch premier and her party, and other pro-independence political parties.
I believe the report refers to soft ethnocide refers to francophones outside of Quebec, and that the point is that Quebec must become independent so that the same fate not happen to Quebecers as well.

We may agree or disagree but this is what the report is about.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:45 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Well, sorry to disappoint. I've just had enough of the ungrateful shit we get on a monthly basis in the news out of Quebec. This is Canada, the most diverse country ever to exist, Quebec is part of our amazing culture and heritage of diversity. End of story.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:00 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
I believe the report refers to soft ethnocide refers to francophones outside of Quebec, and that the point is that Quebec must become independent so that the same fate not happen to Quebecers as well.

We may agree or disagree but this is what the report is about.
The problem is that there has basically been hard "ethnocide" within Quebec against anglophones though (although I don't really think ethnocide is the appropriate word).

Interestingly enough however, an example from here... enrolment in French Immersion in Regina's school systems are up 22% in the public system and 37% in the catholic system over the last 5 years (not to mention that the Fransaskois system had to move to larger premises because they were over capacity), as was reported in the Leader Post recently. This has also been mirrored in the Saskatoon divisions I believe. Also interesting to note that English isn't the largest ethnic group in Saskatchewan, German is; however linguistically French is stronger. So obviously, although it could be doing better, French isn't fairing too poorly here.

Things would be doing better if the Quebec governments (esp. the PQ) didn't always become so adversarial. I think another issue is that many people have a problem with having a provincial party in the national parliament, whose sole intention isn't nation-building, but rather self interest or the destruction of said nation. It also doesn't help that whenever there is a chance for co-operation, Quebec seems to pull out or take the option of not joinin the discussion (prime example is the health care project that was started at the council of the federation to examine how we can improve our system). Where we could have grown together, we have grown apart because we have such a decentralized system now. I blame our politicians who try to divide and conquer instead of the strong nation-building principles that existed decades ago.

But back to bridges.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Question though, from reading the article it says the new bridge is to replace the Champlain Bridge (another of my favourites). Are they intending to demolish the Champlain Bridge or convert it to some other use? I know Montreal has had issues in the recent past with deteriorating infrastructure; is the Champlain bridge in pretty bad shape? Just wondering because it would be a shame to lose that bridge (aesthetically speaking).
Any answers/thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:05 PM
ARTchitecture

There we go! I've been a bit too impassioned to say things eloquently like that, but there you go, I agree!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:58 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Well, sorry to disappoint. I've just had enough of the ungrateful shit we get on a monthly basis in the news out of Quebec. This is Canada, the most diverse country ever to exist, Quebec is part of our amazing culture and heritage of diversity. End of story.

kosovo was part of serbia's amazing culture and history of diversity too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:03 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
anyway, whatever, i am both an anglo-quebecer and, at the end of the day, a federalist, so i can't go too deep into the p.q. rationale.

it's just that these things are hard and old and people don't just shut up or accept their fate in the way that we might want them to. not even if we yell at them. they exist and speak and have families and have entire ways of looking at the world that are different, even sometimes mistakenly so, and that lead them to view things you think of as being amazing as not being very amazing at all.

albanians don't think kosovo's long history in serbia, and its role at the centre of that country's national myth, is very amazing at all. they think it's perverse and irrelevant. that's because they want to go around speaking albanian and being albanian and having the main founding institutions of their country -- not their province, their country -- be representative of this albanian-ness.

and so here they are. they squawked and protested and acted ungrateful until everyone had had so much of their shit (from the serbian perspective) that they were okay with milosevic strutting into fushe kosova, just outside of pristina, and telling everyone: end of story.

but then all of a sudden it very much wasn't.

funny old world, innit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada