HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 PM
ARTchitecture

CALGARY | Eau Claire | 135M/443FT | 100M/328FT | 80M/263FT | 50M/164FT | 45M/148FT

This incredible development definitely needs its own thread. It will add thousands of residents and office workers to Calgary's CBD/Eau Claire area, and hundreds of hotel patrons as well.

Tower 1, at 35 storeys and ~135 meters will be office.
Tower 2, at 25 storeys and ~100 meters will be mixed use (hotel/residential)
Tower 3, at 20 storeys and ~80 meters will be residential.
Tower 4, at 15 storeys and ~50 meters will be residential.
Tower 5, at 13 storeys and ~45 meters will be residential.

The Land Use Amendment has been submitted, with the DP currently being worked on as well. The project is expected to start in early 2015, and will take 7 - 10 years to complete all phases.

Here are some renderings...

http://www.crebnow.com/harvard-devel...claire-market/

http://globalnews.ca/news/980340/gal...ic-eau-claire/

http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/01...ents-2013.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWZM1wdWV5c

... and the project video presentation...

Video Link

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:06 PM

Stunning! Any info on the retail component ?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM
ARTchitecture

The site is currently occupied by the Eau Claire Market in downtown Calgary. The ground and 2nd floors of the entire development (excluding residential, hotel, and office lobbies) would be the rebuilt Eau Claire Market, so it would be an open -air mall type retail experience in the summer (refer to the video where the wall literally folds up to make it open air) and a closed air atrium-style mall in the winter. The public plaza will be adapted for all seasons, with a performance stage in the summer turning into a skating rink in the winter, and other such stuff like that. Here is the information about the plaza redevelopment, which has been designed and will be handled by the City of Calgary.

It includes PDF's showing the uses of various sites in and around the plaza.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...velopment.aspx

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:45 PM

Thanks, Chad. Sounds like wise-use. Will keep an eye on this beauty.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 10:20 PM
ARTchitecture

No problem A block over, in the same neighbourhood (Eau Claire) there is unofficially announced (but leaked) proposal by Great West Life for 7 residential towers across two surface parking lots, apparently with a pedestrian scale never before seen in Canada. So that is pretty exciting news That whole area of downtown is going to see massive densification over the next decade or so.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
No problem A block over, in the same neighbourhood (Eau Claire) there is unofficially announced (but leaked) proposal by Great West Life for 7 residential towers across two surface parking lots, apparently with a pedestrian scale never before seen in Canada. So that is pretty exciting news That whole area of downtown is going to see massive densification over the next decade or so.
Good, but can we please limit these blockbuster announcements to one per day ?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 10:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh haha this Eau Claire one was proposed in November. I think no one got around to putting it in the global section till now because it has so many towers and usually the developments on here are one or two max, so maybe it should be in the "general developments" section. But they're all highrises, so why not put em here! I believe the GWL proposal will be sometime this year.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:19 PM
Editor

I almost forgot about this one!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:27 PM

Development I'm looking forward to the most!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:57 PM

Is there any indication of what phase will start off the project? The mall or one of the towers.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:59 PM
ARTchitecture

I believe the office tower (135+ meters) is phase 1. I'm not sure if it will include the market or not. Logically it should... however, it would be a huge expense to build the tower, the huge parkade for the office, market, and 2 shortest residential towers, plus the construction pads on top of the market for the two res towers. So I feel like we may just get the office first, but who knows.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 9:45 PM

Eau Claire Market Redevelopment To Transform Downtown Community

Quote:
Adjacent to Calgary's financial district to the north is the Eau Claire Neighbourhood, home to approximately 1,800 residents. Organized around the urban retail and entertainment destination known as the Eau Claire Market, the area is undergoing a major revitalization and modernization plan that will eventually lead to the demolition and further redevelopment of the existing mall. Built in 1993, at a time where Calgary's downtown population was insufficient to draw large crowds of shoppers towards the retail complex, the market was never able to develop a viable clientele, which resulted in the closure of several stores by the early 2000s.

In 2004 and 2007 respectively, Harvard Developments bought the mall and surrounding 2.95-hectare site for a total of $41.5 million. After several years of stagnation, the plan for a mixed-use urban village to replace the mall is now one step closer to realization after Calgary's city council's unanimous first reading of the developer’s rezoning application last December.

While the developer hopes to start construction by the end of 2016, the city has the option to repurchase the land, at market value, if it’s not redeveloped by the end of 2018.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 10:20 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Love the site plan and the design. I wonder how delayed it will be with the downturn in oil prices/layoffs... Still have fond memories of the existing Eau Claire Market, even as a semi-abandoned relic of the early 90's... Heck, I even planned my X-mas vacation this year around the Sheraton and the Market...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Love the site plan and the design. I wonder how delayed it will be with the downturn in oil prices/layoffs... Still have fond memories of the existing Eau Claire Market, even as a semi-abandoned relic of the early 90's... Heck, I even planned my X-mas vacation this year around the Sheraton and the Market...
I am pretty sure it's been approved. I just don't think we'll ever see it happen.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:42 PM

^^^ Chad: Thankfully! I know you'll disagree... just my opinion.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals