HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1281  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:05 PM
Mazrim's Avatar
Mazrim Mazrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Recessed reflectors seem to work fine elsewhere.
I'm curious where you've seen them work. My experience on a project in the Okanagan was that even when recessed, they didn't survive. They were approximately 10-20 mm below the road surface which also reduced their usefulness in the winter when covered with snow, ice and grime.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1282  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:15 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BODY: Edmonton. HEART: Kelowna
Posts: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well, looks like the Okanagan will never have a true highway then.

That one councilor Charlie Hodge sounds like he is straight out of Vision Vancouver. Stating that he hopes a second crossing is never built...

Strange how much people in BC love start and stop traffic.

Couple that with the Peachland upgrades likely going through with traffic lights...
I'm confident something will come up by 2035-2040. Kelowna just needs to build Clement to suit short term needs and not allow anything to develop that would hinder its future conversion to a freeway. I do agree that in the interim, a freeway to nowhere doesn't make sense. Clement as it is has very little traffic anytime of day so we shouldn't be throwing a huge amount of taxpayers money at it. Even Enterprise Way which the Clement Ave extension would be relieving is not horrible and was my preferred route over Harvey Ave during rush hour.

I think South Perimeter Road is also a potential corridor as the province did not confirm the location of a second crossing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1283  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:58 PM
Glacier Glacier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'm curious where you've seen them work. My experience on a project in the Okanagan was that even when recessed, they didn't survive. They were approximately 10-20 mm below the road surface which also reduced their usefulness in the winter when covered with snow, ice and grime.
highway 6 near Vernon. From the Coldstream Ranch to the 4 lane section.

It lasted 5 years no problem. Painted lines lasted a matter of months (heavy traffic with people cutting corners so paint wears off).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1284  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 8:10 PM
Mazrim's Avatar
Mazrim Mazrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
highway 6 near Vernon. From the Coldstream Ranch to the 4 lane section.

It lasted 5 years no problem. Painted lines lasted a matter of months (heavy traffic with people cutting corners so paint wears off).
I took a look on Google Streetview and didn't see anything in that stretch between 2012 and 2018. Maybe I was in the wrong area?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1285  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:27 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 13,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I'm confident something will come up by 2035-2040. Kelowna just needs to build Clement to suit short term needs and not allow anything to develop that would hinder its future conversion to a freeway. I do agree that in the interim, a freeway to nowhere doesn't make sense. Clement as it is has very little traffic anytime of day so we shouldn't be throwing a huge amount of taxpayers money at it. Even Enterprise Way which the Clement Ave extension would be relieving is not horrible and was my preferred route over Harvey Ave during rush hour.

I think South Perimeter Road is also a potential corridor as the province did not confirm the location of a second crossing.
Meant to respond to this a while ago, haha.

I definitely agree that it is not the city’s responsibility to build a freeway, that should be 100% provincially and federally funded.

I just hope that they build such a road with a future freeway upgrade in mind.

And yeah, flat out crazy that one councilor saying that a second crossing isn’t needed...
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1286  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:11 PM
melissasandever melissasandever is offline
April Melissa Sandever
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Victoria
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Meant to respond to this a while ago, haha.

I definitely agree that it is not the city’s responsibility to build a freeway, that should be 100% provincially and federally funded.

I just hope that they build such a road with a future freeway upgrade in mind.

And yeah, flat out crazy that one councilor saying that a second crossing isn’t needed...
Just wanted to say like your YouTube page!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1287  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:17 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissasandever View Post
Just wanted to say like your YouTube page!
Oh shoot, I didn’t even know that Metro-One has one.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1288  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:23 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 13,671
Thanks a bunch, both of you! (I think this is the first time anyone has ever noticed/ brought it up on this forum!).

I hope to add some more videos in the near future. There will definitely be more next year during the summer.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1289  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:43 PM
melissasandever melissasandever is offline
April Melissa Sandever
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Victoria
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Thanks a bunch, both of you! (I think this is the first time anyone has ever noticed/ brought it up on this forum!).

I hope to add some more videos in the near future. There will definitely be more next year during the summer.
Look forward to seeing new videos next summer! Sounds exciting!

Wanted to also mention, that I'm glad I'm not the only one that still has a Flicker acct!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1290  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:57 PM
flipper316 flipper316 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Thanks a bunch, both of you! (I think this is the first time anyone has ever noticed/ brought it up on this forum!).

I hope to add some more videos in the near future. There will definitely be more next year during the summer.
Link ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1291  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:31 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Link ?
It's in his signature. It took me a while to realize that too.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.