HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I've never heard of economic nationalism so looked it up. It's populism - using it to justify bad economic theories.
The CAQ has nothing to do with it, people in Quebec buy local, and Rona is not a local company anymore. BMR, Patrick Morin, Canac and Réno-Dépot are local hardware stores, Quebec brands.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:15 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
The CAQ is the 1st government that represents Quebec (people) like they always wanted to. It's not populism. They are doing a great job with the economy, they deliver what they promised, and they will probably do even better in the next election.

The CAQ now preaches economic nationalism.
What have they done with the economy?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
What have they done with the economy?
They haven't messed with it

The Quebec Liberals used to have a total lock on the reputation of being the one party "of the economy", but that's changed now.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Okay if I proposed a law that banned people who eat curry from serving in government or public service and claimed that it’s not racially motivated and that some white people also eat curry would you not conclude that I was in fact targeting south asians? Even assuming you are right and it isn’t specifically racially motivated it’s still intolerant, bigoted, asinine, ignorant, xenophobic, prejudiced, authoritarian and just plain stupid.
If there was an excellent reason to prevent curry eaters from serving in government that had nothing to do with ethnic origin and was important for the greater good of society, then it would be perfectly possible to do just that without it being "racist". And all the people living here of South Asian origin would be more than welcome to adapt and fix their "unemployability" by stopping eating curry.

We don't want religion in schools, surely that isn't hard to understand? We got rid of the Great Darkness once already, and that's enough.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:30 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
That’s tough and I understand why you’d want to be closer to family. We’ve been lucky to have someone as engaged as you are tracking projects in the city and doing photo updates. Will leave a pretty big hole if you go. I guess Kenney’s getting what he wants though, chasing away young progressive post secondary grads who aren’t in the resource sector.
Awe I really appreciate that. But yeah, having moved out when I was 17 and being away over a decade now, I've missed all of my nieces and nephews lives, so gotta make up some serious uncle time. Also true about Kenney, Alberta's future is fucked.

Also, is Lio incapable of doing multiple responses within one message?

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
The CAQ has nothing to do with it, people in Quebec buy local, and Rona is not a local company anymore. BMR, Patrick Morin, Canac and Réno-Dépot are local hardware stores, Quebec brands.
Rona's prices are horrible. (Réno-Dépôt is just another banner of Rona.)

I always buy everything at Canac (and sometimes, at Home Depot; they match Canac's price AND take off 10%), except on Montreal-area jobsites where my choice is always Patrick Morin as there's no Canac nearby. (Canac has better prices than PM, though.)

BMR is okay. But not as good as Canac.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Also, is Lio incapable of doing multiple responses within one message?
When it's different lines of conversation I've always preferred doing it like that and I have absolutely nothing against others doing the same.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:46 AM
Go Preds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
They haven't messed with it

The Quebec Liberals used to have a total lock on the reputation of being the one party "of the economy", but that's changed now.
It used to be the Liberals or the separatists... not anymore.

The CAQ gives a great alternative of a party that really cares about the economy. They were the only party that wanted to decrease the quantity of immigrants to improve the quality based on the needs of the province. Getting rid of school boards is great. Only a person that has never dealt with them think they are efficient structures. Now, if they lower taxes in their next budget, I think their re-election with over 50% of the votes is all but assured.

The complaints against Bill 21 is music to my ears really. The bill is long overdue in a secular country.

I have to admit I didn't vote for them due to Legault history as a separatist. However, I will, 100% vote for them in the next provincial election.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:38 AM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

The CAQ gives a great alternative of a party that really cares about the economy. They were the only party that wanted to decrease the quantity of immigrants to improve the quality based on the needs of the province. Getting rid of school boards is great. Only a person that has never dealt with them think they are efficient structures. Now, if they lower taxes in their next budget, I think their re-election with over 50% of the votes is all but assured.

The complaints against Bill 21 is music to my ears really. The bill is long overdue in a secular country.

I have to admit I didn't vote for them due to Legault history as a separatist. However, I will, 100% vote for them in the next provincial election.
There is a good opportunity for the CAQ to make some decent gains on Montreal Island next time.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:44 AM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
If there was an excellent reason to prevent curry eaters from serving in government that had nothing to do with ethnic origin and was important for the greater good of society, then it would be perfectly possible to do just that without it being "racist". And all the people living here of South Asian origin would be more than welcome to adapt and fix their "unemployability" by stopping eating curry.

We don't want religion in schools, surely that isn't hard to understand? We got rid of the Great Darkness once already, and that's enough.
One of the people who has filed a legal case against Bill 21 is a Catholic schoolteacher with a name like Josée Tremblay. She filed it jointly with two Muslim women.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

So you're an Anglo Montrealer whose vote always automatically went to the Liberals' object/animal they ran in your riding, and the CAQ has just managed to steal your vote from the party that previously "owned" it...?

If you're somewhat typical, that's interesting.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
So you're an Anglo Montrealer whose vote always automatically went to the Liberals' object/animal they ran in your riding, and the CAQ has just managed to steal your vote from the party that previously "owned" it...?

If you're somewhat typical, that's interesting.
I have cousins who are Ashkenazi Jews living in Birnbaum's riding who say the same thing. I actually think the CAQ will pick up a decent amount of anglophone support next election. Generally they're impressed with the efforts Legault's government has made to reach out to the Anglo-Quebecer community.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
If it makes you feel any better I have a couple people on my facebook from Alberta who are small "c" conservatives and from their posts today they are pretty pissed off regarding the education cuts.
This post and the film industry uncle are the same thing we've seen from down south. It's all good until the cuts impact you personally.

Any informed voter could see those things coming a mile away, but alas the hard right wing seems to repeat these mistakes continually.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Although I don't agree with them, I 'get' the larger cuts to certain spending. What seems needlessly petty and pointless is all the small cuts to things like the X Games.
The BC Libs (right wing, don't let the name fool you), actually cut free bus passes for people on disability programming while bragging about a $2B surplus. The bus pass program was probably in the range of $10M/year.

Unbelievably cruel and insane from a policy/PR perspective. It must be quite the echo chamber inside these budgetary planning meetings.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I've always been a firm believer in investing in education and infrastructure. I like many others want smart, responsible spending by our government that will help to grow the economy. Jason appears to be doing exactly what Klein did which is to get out of deficit and then pay off the debt with no plan to do anything else. IIRC interest rates were a lot higher back then which makes the debt we have now not as big of a concern as they're making out to be. Yes, we should be cutting spending but not in the areas they're targeting.
I guess the real question is, if there was an election tomorrow, would you vote differently? I would guess not.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Too bad your Premier is even worse than ours.
Fair point, although I'd say they are both cut from the same cloth. The difference is that Ontario will vote Ford out, Alberta....not so sure. With the exception of the 4 year NDP experiment, Alberta has elected the Conservatives provincially for the past 50 years. Ontario regularly shuffles around parties when they get out of control.

Federally its much different with Alberta only EVER voting Conservative for the past 50 years, while Ontario regularly changes back and forth depending on who's offering what.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:05 PM
Fake News

Quote:

You do realize the rest of Canada is a secular society right? We don’t attack people based on religion but we also have separation of church and state. You make it sound like without Bill 21 a theocracy would suddenly take over Quebec and imprison all non believers. That’s ridiculous. The venomous hatred of non atheists in Quebec taints their view of reality.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:08 PM

All of this Quebec political talk is very interesting. Seems that the CAQ is doing a fantastic job in the province. The Liberals were doing a good job too in Quebec I remember, but it seems this new party has been nurturing the economy well and continuing down that same road of economic prosperity. I like to hear that! So it looks like they will be around for quite a long time if they keep it up.

I wish Ontario had a nice socially progressive leader who was also fiscally on top of their game. 2022 can't come soon enough so we can get Douggie out. I hope the Liberals pick a new leader that's seen as progressive but also more right of centre for fiscal conservatism. Basically out of the Jean Chretien/Paul Martin playbook.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:24 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
This post and the film industry uncle are the same thing we've seen from down south. It's all good until the cuts impact you personally.

Any informed voter could see those things coming a mile away, but alas the hard right wing seems to repeat these mistakes continually.
Yes agreed 100%. Conservatives’ level of empathy is reliant on whether or not something directly affects them. They only care about gay rights if their own kid is gay. They only care about drug treatment if they know an addict. They only care about infrastructure if they will personally use it. It fits in with the general selfishness of modern conservatism.

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 3, 2019 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 4:29 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Fair point, although I'd say they are both cut from the same cloth. The difference is that Ontario will vote Ford out, Alberta....not so sure. With the exception of the 4 year NDP experiment, Alberta has elected the Conservatives provincially for the past 50 years. Ontario regularly shuffles around parties when they get out of control.

Federally its much different with Alberta only EVER voting Conservative for the past 50 years, while Ontario regularly changes back and forth depending on who's offering what.
You’re absolutely right. I think our only hope here is a resurgence of the centre right Alberta Party. Unfortunately they were obliterated in the last election.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada