HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Elysian in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 3:47 PM

To everyone who keeps speaking about how slow Waterview & The Elysian projects are progressing, I believe that you are speaking out of turn and a little uneducated as to what it actually takes to bring a complicated foundation/earth retention out of the ground. Inexperience is not the reasoning. The earth retention systems that were used in both of these projects are some of the most dufficult to work within. Be patient, they know what they are doing. You will all be cheering when these projects are flying at 3 or 4 days on typical floors.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 10:03 AM

^^^ That's probably true, but both do have inexperienced first timers at large skyscrapers, so I'm sure there are constant (if not small) kinks being worked out here and there that slows stuff down a bit.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
between this and waterview, i'm starting to wonder if they have the same crew working on both. jesus... do these guys work one day a week or what?
Christ... Learn some damn patience. It's a 700' tall building, not a lego set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcityaustin View Post
I think this is just another case of inexperience. I don't think we have to worry about financing with this one though.
Maybe they should be using your construction expertise to expedite the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supt11CJ View Post
To everyone who keeps speaking about how slow Waterview & The Elysian projects are progressing, I believe that you are speaking out of turn and a little uneducated as to what it actually takes to bring a complicated foundation/earth retention out of the ground. Inexperience is not the reasoning. The earth retention systems that were used in both of these projects are some of the most dufficult to work within. Be patient, they know what they are doing. You will all be cheering when these projects are flying at 3 or 4 days on typical floors.
Thank you. Your screen name suggests you know a thing or two about construction.

Last edited by BVictor1; Jul 7, 2007 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 1:18 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

Quote:
Absolutely. Both of these sites are constricted for space and surrounded by other developments. To all that complain of slow progress I would remind that if you screw up the foundation, everything else is for naught. The Elysian has another 400'+ residential tower going up just to the south (10 East Deleware) and that has to be complicating construction.

Pictures are from 7/2

^^ The cranes in the background are for 10 East Deleware.

^^^ Yes Please!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 2:38 AM
Back in the Windy City

Quote:
See, this is what I was talking about when I asked about "vexing technical issues" in the other thread.

I am admittedly uneducated about skyscraper construction, but trying to gain some insights by reading these threads and asking questions. If my questions are dumb or out of place, feel free to message me and tell me to screw off.

Now, in an effort to be at least slightly on-topic, let me ask this: What exactly is it about the earth retention system used here that makes it so difficult? I realize that this is obvious to some extent — what I mean is, what's going on when it looks as if nothing is going on?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Maybe they should be using your construction expertise to expedite the process.
Ah, thanks. That's very kind.

Sly insults aside, I was just making a suggestion, no need to mock me...not a friendly way to treat fellow forumers.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 11:27 PM
Chicago

July 20, 2007

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 3:42 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

Great shots Solar!

Glad to see this one rising above street level!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 2:38 AM
. . . . . . .

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 2:41 AM

I haven't been over to the site for awhile, does anyone know how this one is comming along?
Also how large are the floor plates for the highrise and how fast do you think this building will rise once it get off the ground?

thanks

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
July 20, 2007

So are both of those other lots in this shot also in development now? That neighborhood is gonna transform overnight.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 5:22 AM

Where those beams are, is that where the townhomes are going to be???
With the parking garage under?? I have no idea!!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 5:15 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
So are both of those other lots in this shot also in development now? That neighborhood is gonna transform overnight.
Yes. The lot in the upper left (to the left of the raker beams with the white truck) is a 400'+ condo tower called 10 East Delaware. Nice design that's complementary to the Elysian style. http://www.teneastdelaware.com/ The lot at the top of the picture (with the cars) will be a pair of towers I believe. (can't remember the name)

Last edited by djvandrake; Aug 8, 2007 at 5:16 PM. Reason: Correct street reference

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:55 PM

^ Walton on the Park is its name.

I think that they'll have to shut down the entire intersection for all the construction traffic going through right there.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 8:17 PM
BANNED

^^^Yeah its kind of going to be sick we will seee the elysian @ 700ft, 10 east @ 410, wlaton north will prob be about 400ft, and walton souht prob about 350 or so....some nice height in that area suddenly...lets not forget a bit south with nearly 600ft loyola tower & 50 East chestnut which I think is like 500ft

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 2:08 PM
Cleared for takeoff

^Yea it should be interesting. What impact do you think these will have on the skyline?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 2:26 PM
Cleared for takeoff

I'm hoping these will bulk up that part of the skyline as it seems that all of the attention has been drawn to the river front and the southern side.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Definitley, my long term wish is to see highrise style development essentially all he way to the river....with such projuects as the Kingsbury project & allure a little south & furhter west I am hoping that over the next 10 years or so we will see more tall development running from the river north to North ave west to the river...I do not know what all the zoning is in this area & I do not necessarlily wan t all lowrise stuff knocked down...I'd just like to see some area esp areas that used to house old industry transformed into accessible highrise tower...one that interact well with the neighborhood wlaking experience...these don't have to be 40 or 50 story 500 or 600ft monsters but even stuff in the 15 - 20 or 25 stroy range if done tastefully & incorporated into the neighborhood fabric effectively could make this area relly incredible

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
Definitley, my long term wish is to see highrise style development essentially all he way to the river....with such projuects as the Kingsbury project & allure a little south & furhter west I am hoping that over the next 10 years or so we will see more tall development running from the river north to North ave west to the river...I do not know what all the zoning is in this area & I do not necessarlily wan t all lowrise stuff knocked down...I'd just like to see some area esp areas that used to house old industry transformed into accessible highrise tower...one that interact well with the neighborhood wlaking experience...these don't have to be 40 or 50 story 500 or 600ft monsters but even stuff in the 15 - 20 or 25 stroy range if done tastefully & incorporated into the neighborhood fabric effectively could make this area relly incredible
The SoNo towers should be a very good step in this direction, plus there is that proposed 3-tower project also by North and Clybourn (one of the towers I think would be about 25 stories). In addition to these, if a couple of the following projects - 735 West Division, 617-627 West Division, and the 1111 North Halsted towers - get built, that will go a long way to further the skyline in the western area of Old Town and Cabrini.

Also, a bunch of the new condo buildings going up in the Cabrini area (eg - Parkside, a couple buildings by Chicago and Larrabie) are in the 7-10 story range. I think that given that a lot of these buildings are not just 3-4 stories, will allow for 15-25 story buildings to be tastefully incorporated nearby.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
The SoNo towers should be a very good step in this direction, plus there is that proposed 3-tower project also by North and Clybourn (one of the towers I think would be about 25 stories). In addition to these, if a couple of the following projects - 735 West Division, 617-627 West Division, and the 1111 North Halsted towers - get built, that will go a long way to further the skyline in the western area of Old Town and Cabrini.

Also, a bunch of the new condo buildings going up in the Cabrini area (eg - Parkside, a couple buildings by Chicago and Larrabie) are in the 7-10 story range. I think that given that a lot of these buildings are not just 3-4 stories, will allow for 15-25 story buildings to be tastefully incorporated nearby.
I agree wholeheartedly and I apparently cannot type to boot......I was aware of all these proposal save for the mentioned 3 story one near clybourn...do you have details, renderings, website etc.

SoNo I think is rumored to be near commencement, & I think those towers along division are a pretty good bet

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture