HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 10:19 PM

Communauto seems to be pretty popular in Halifax and I think the same system exists in Montreal. Some cars need to be returned to the station they were rented from but others can be used "one-way" and left elsewhere. I'd been looking into it a couple years ago but I haven't really ended up needing a car very often during the pandemic. Most of their vehicles are small sedans and about half are hybrids - it seems likely that they'll expand into plug-in EVs within the next couple years.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
At this stage I can literally bikeshare to a preferred carshare and I don't think I would have been able to say that three/five years ago. Even better if they're electric.
Carshare services are practically the perfect cars to electrify. If there's plugs at the parking spots, the returning customer can just plug them in, and the next customer could get a full tank. No need to detour to fill up before returning. At minimum, at least the next customer can have an idea of how much range they'll have, from the app. Fuel costs are also fixed rate. There's no changing gas prices.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 8:43 PM
recession proof

My neighbour finally bought a Tesla Model S, trading in his BMW 7 series. His wife got a new Audi SUV (ICE.) Most people buy new cars, including Teslas, as status symbols, nothing to do with going green. (I've been coal rolled three times now driving my Micra in the countryside around KW: twice by a RAM and once a Chevy Silverado. RAM driver pissed I passed him ha.)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 8:59 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
My neighbour finally bought a Tesla Model S, trading in his BMW 7 series. His wife got a new Audi SUV (ICE.) Most people buy new cars, including Teslas, as status symbols, nothing to do with going green. (I've been coal rolled three times now driving my Micra in the countryside around KW: twice by a RAM and once a Chevy Silverado. RAM driver pissed I passed him ha.)
I don't know if that's the only reason. Maybe he wanted to save money on fuel? I would think the 7 Series is more of a status symbol than a Model S since it's probably got a lot more luxury features. The build quality is also far superior.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 9:00 PM
ハルウララ

Even if they are viewed as status symbols - so what? It's people buying electric vehicles which is better than people buying giant ICE vehicles.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Even if they are viewed as status symbols - so what? It's people buying electric vehicles which is better than people buying giant ICE vehicles.
Exactly. There's a whole lot of people who seem to want to discount any personal action as virtue signalling. Quite frankly, if it even marginally helps, who cares?

The entire purpose of vehicles like the Tesla Model S is to target those who want a great car. Musk and Straubel have repeatedly said, they didn't just set out to make electric cars. They set out to make the best car possible. They believed that showing people electric cars could be better would make EVs a natural option. And they are right. These are people who would never buy a Prius. And that Model S is going to be one more great option on the used market when Richie Rich gets bored in 4-5 years.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 12:00 AM
recession proof

I would consider a small two or four door hatchback electric car, basically an electric version of a VW Up, if available with at least a 400km range and for under $15,000.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 12:03 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I would consider a small two or four door hatchback electric car, basically an electric version of a VW Up, if available with at least a 400km range and for under $15,000.
This is probably the closest you can get at the moment.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 12:37 AM
Volatile Pacivist

There aren't even many ICE car under $15k except the most bare bones econoboxes. And given the much lower the cost to power and maintain EVs resulting in a lower total cost of ownership, I'd argue that they don't need as low of an upfront cost for them to be as affordable.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 1:20 AM
recession proof

The Ioniq 5 is huge! I want something around 150 inches long and 68 inches wide.

I wouldn't trust Hyundai Group with my life - they struggle to make a quality ICE car (check all their recent engine fires & recalls.)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
This is probably the closest you can get at the moment.
Not really. A VW Up! Is 140 inches long. The Ioniq5 is over 3 ft longer at 182”.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
I never heard of coal rolled before. That is the most moronic thing I've ever heard. (OK, probly not, but it's up there)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:
The Up isn't even sold in Canada. Was it ever? It's unfortunate that we don't get a lot of A-segment options from Europe. There's some great options. Especially as this segment gets electrified. I like the new Fiat 500e.

On your general requirement, you might be able to find something in the used market that meets your price/range requirement in about 5 years. Probably difficult before that.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 2:06 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I never heard of coal rolled before. That is the most moronic thing I've ever heard. (OK, probly not, but it's up there)
Something I have to just not think about to avoid my existence from being consumed by rage.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 2:18 AM
recession proof

^Yeah when my brother used Car2GO, the rednecks up around Wasaga Beach and Barrie would coal roll him: happened once when I was along for the ride. I couldn't figure out why a jacked up pickup was backing slowly towards us; suddenly we were blasted with black soot.

I tracked down the RAM to a house in Milverton - possibly an evil Amish/Mennonite?! (It's a distinctive c.2000 RAM with tacky mods.)

Even when I drove the mk4 Golf, pick up drivers would suddenly speed up on the 401 etc when I passed them at 130kph, especially between Oshawa and Kingston area.

Anyway, small used ICE hatchbacks still provide a fun driving experience for little money.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Communauto seems to be pretty popular in Halifax and I think the same system exists in Montreal. Some cars need to be returned to the station they were rented from but others can be used "one-way" and left elsewhere. I'd been looking into it a couple years ago but I haven't really ended up needing a car very often during the pandemic. Most of their vehicles are small sedans and about half are hybrids - it seems likely that they'll expand into plug-in EVs within the next couple years.
Commuauto was created in Montréal and was the first car share in North America.

I've had a membership for 4 years now and have used it only 3 times (but it sure came in handy those 3 times!).

I hadn't even realized that my Ontario licence had expired in 2010 until I suddenly needed a car in 2017. (had to do a written and road test - funny stories abound!)

They have both 'fixed' and 'floating' cars and it works well, until a period of high demand when it's almost impossible to secure a car.

I also had a Car2Go membership until they withdrew from N.A.

When I was in Berlin they had about 6 or 7 different carshares and it was almost impossible not to find a car at any time - not that I ever needed one, not that anyone would ever need a car in Berlin.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:12 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
The Ioniq 5 is huge! I want something around 150 inches long and 68 inches wide.

I wouldn't trust Hyundai Group with my life - they struggle to make a quality ICE car (check all their recent engine fires & recalls.)
You’re not going to get any Up sized EVs coming to North America unfortunately. Your other options are the Leaf, Bolt, MX-30, or Mini Cooper SE. None of which are particularly desirable due to low range or lack of excitement or style. The Honda e would be neat but it’s not coming to NA sadly and it lacks range. And VW decided not to bring the ID3 over, so the e-up is definitely out of the question.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:50 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Clearly you're not from rural Alberta! How nice for you! Seriously though, even driving a diesel Smart Fortwo you'll still be RC'ed here typically by a Dodge Ram with the exhaust removed. It's, ugh, exhausting to say the least. That's how aggressive and ignorant a good chunk of people here are. The electric age can't kill the fossil fuel economy fast enough of you ask me!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 8:13 PM

Another thing holding back EV sales, besides the huge purchase price, is the anxiety of how long the batteries will last and how much it will cost to replace them.

For those that can afford an EV every few years it's not an issue but it becomes a huge issue for those who plan to keep their car more than 8 years when most battery warranties run out. In a few years after that, the batteries may really start to degrade and have to be replaced................who the hell is going to buy your car when the first thing they have to do is spend $10,000 getting/installing new batteries?

Added to this is the cost of disassembling the batteries. ICE cars use standard lead batteries but not EVs. EVs use lithium batteries which are far heavier and MUCH harder, expensive, and more time consuming to recycle. This is due to having several hundred lithium components which have a particularly nasty habit of exploding if not dismantled correctly.

Certainly the batteries will continue to last longer, get lighter, and the recycling infrastructure will continue to expand but as of right now, re-selling your EV when nearing the end of it's battery life is going to be like trying to sell sand to a Saudi.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 8:54 PM

Im not into car sharing. For some people cars are just an instrument designed to get from A to B. They aren't into the driving experience at all. I know many people like this. You buy a new car and they walk right by it without even noticing. Cars are just not their thing.

I am not that person. I love vehicles, I love the experience inside and out. The feeling of having total control , to go wherever whenever. Being self employed, cars are a write off for me so I end up getting back 50% of all expenses I put into them. Plus I get huge enjoyment out of my garage, detailing my car, buying accessories. Just like some people are like that with clothes, computers, their pets, horses, etc. For me owning a car is a thrill. It's also 100% necessary for my job. Without a vehicle I might as well just quit. Ride sharing wouldn't work either as I need to be able to leave at a snap of a finger and head out on the road.

Each to their own though, I understand not everyone is like me. I respect that. I will say however it does bother me when people try to tell me how to live my life. If you aren't into cars that's great, good for you. But others are...so respect that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada