HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which option would you vote in favour?
Option A 2 33.33%
Option B1 2 33.33%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option B3 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 8:37 PM

A commenter on The Spec mentioned that there's no garbage cans, and it's already looking gross. Nice.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 12:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

How is it during the night? The last design it wasn't lit up very much at night.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 1:28 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I checked it out yesterday and was impressed. I really like the design of it. I also walked through Gore Park yesterday around 5:30 and there was not a soul to be found.
This is my fear and others too. That Gore will be a dead zone. It better be policed and made the piazza it's intended to be. Maybe quality retail will open, if they see the finer people. Note: I always hated the south side of Gore, it's freezing on the patios, always in the shade. South side of condos are premium because the sun shines most of the day, but not when it's in the shadow of a streetwall. I hope Im wrong, it will at least never need umbrellas.

I do think it looks good. I wish it covered the street more, more dramatic looking. but it's good for Hamilton.

Did they build a sidewalk along the western side along the Convention Centre? because that was always stupid with no sidewalk

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 2:20 AM
Hammer'd

I'm pretty sure there is indeed a sidewalk there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 12:40 AM

There is a sidewalk along the southern half of the west side along the back of Hamilton Place. It ends at the parking garage ramp, where there is a designated walkway across to the platforms and the east side of the street

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:26 PM

This transit terminal should be moved to Burlington.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
This transit terminal should be moved to Burlington.
lol... it is getting funny now isn't it

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I checked it out yesterday and was impressed. I really like the design of it. I also walked through Gore Park yesterday around 5:30 and there was not a soul to be found.
I knew that was going to happen and that was one of the reasons I did not support the building of the transit terminal.

Transit riders bring life to an area, and by removing those thousands of riders from Gore Park, it will and has created a dead zone.
The buses were one of the main reasons to go to that area. With the transit gone, there just is no critical mass of people now.

Transit should not be something that is banished to the margins of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 5:23 PM

photos by me, last night (as you can tell in the bottom of the second pic lol)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 11:34 PM

So my friend who never takes the Bus decided to join me in Toronto last weekend just to get outta town for a minute.

Upon our return, she was so amazed to realize that her HSR bus would be waiting directly behind where our GO Bus disembarks. Her reaction, and I quote, "OMG this is so easy! Why aren't all buses this easy to transfer to? I'd take em all the time!"

..just sayin.. Hamilton Fail!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post

..just sayin.. Hamilton Fail!

where is the fail in this? sorry. I may be reading it wrong.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msakalau View Post
where is the fail in this? sorry. I may be reading it wrong.
Sorry, the Fail lies in where the City chose to put the actual terminal (McNabb St rather than w/in the inter-regional transit node, TH&B).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Don't all or most of the buses pass by the GO Station before entering MacNab station?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Don't all or most of the buses pass by the GO Station before entering MacNab station?
Along John, yes (and James if traveling Southbound).
My issue is that the buses don't layover there, which would create ease in transition. ALSO there is no signage to advise non-HSR regulars that Mountain-bound buses can be caught at James & Hunter (there are signs directing folks to the 1,2,3 & 51 however).
Should also mention that not every Southbound bus stops at James & Hunter, some stop before that near James & Jackson.
People must fig this out themselves, or if the HSR booth is open (rarely), they could always ask one of the never-present reps.

When it comes to Public Transit, we must make it as SIMPLE and USER-FRIENDLY as possible or how is it ever going to compete w/ the 'ease' and 'convenience' of a personal vehicle?
Gas prices are higher than ever, yet I doubt we'll see a rise in Public Transit-use in Hamilton.

Critical Mass is critical! Why don't civic leaders get this!?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Along John, yes (and James if traveling Southbound).
When it comes to Public Transit, we must make it as SIMPLE and USER-FRIENDLY as possible or how is it ever going to compete w/ the 'ease' and 'convenience' of a personal vehicle? Critical Mass is critical! Why don't civic leaders get this!?
Sometimes the leaders have to follow the people. The original plan was to route all buses through a much larger MacNab terminal. Unfortunately the Piggot building residents organized a complaint, and the city decided it wasn't worth buying or annexing the parking lot next door. Without room to fit another four or five platforms at MacNab, we're left with the current dual station mess.

Personally I don't think the Mountain buses should have ever left Gore park. Without all those bus-waiting pedestrians, I fully expect the businesses in that area to tank.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
Sometimes the leaders have to follow the people. The original plan was to route all buses through a much larger MacNab terminal. Unfortunately the Piggot building residents organized a complaint, and the city decided it wasn't worth buying or annexing the parking lot next door. Without room to fit another four or five platforms at MacNab, we're left with the current dual station mess.

Personally I don't think the Mountain buses should have ever left Gore park. Without all those bus-waiting pedestrians, I fully expect the businesses in that area to tank.
To be fair, I thought GorePark would be a deadzone once buses/riders were removed (which was the case for the first few months).
But I've noticed since the nicer weather, the park has been bustling.
As for the businesses w/in the park; I can't tell you how they're doing. I'm assuming Al Centro is still crapping out due to their lack of effort/care.

As a side note, due to removing the buses from GP, I have now made it my 'meeting spot' for when I have to meet friends downtown (and encourage everyone to do the same).

As for the 'Piggot' lot, I don't think that was ever a real option. Am very glad that never materialized! Still dissapointed the City chose Macnab over TH&B but what can ya do.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 1:08 AM

Is it just me or does anyone else prefer waiting for a bus at Gore Park rather than that terminal on MacNab?

Last edited by realcity; Jul 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 4:50 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else prefer waiting for a bus at Gore Park rather than that terminal on MacNab?
Hands down...though my bus is the 24 or 23, I'll take Gore Park over anywhere on James St. or MacNab. Even though it'd be nice to check out the new terminal since I havent yet.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Don't worry, you can park you car and let it idle just like the buses used to do if u want to re-live the exhaust-experience.

ps it looks like Al Centro has closed down since my last post about it.
..that despite Kathy Drewitt of the GorePark 'Downtown' BIA tried a pretty lame attempt to bring ppl to the Gore.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:45 PM

Metrolinx funds HSR enhancement

Ken Mann 900chml.com 5/7/2012

Display screens will soon be installed at the McNab Street Transit Terminal for the benefit of HSR passengers.

A city committee has approved the installation of the equipment which is being funded by Metrolinx.

The screens will show bus schedules, any late arrival or departure times and any route changes due to construction or other factors.

General Manager of Transit Don Hull says the technology will also allow the city to better keep pace with requirements under the Ontarians with Disabilities Act by offering verbal notification for those with visual or hearing impairment.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure