HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:51 PM

Heres how SF did it. Kinda cooler I think:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:47 PM

Well I don't mind the rainbow crosswalks as I am gay too. I like the SF ones better but think the Austin proposal is also good. I'm wondering who is reading these thinking this is some gay agenda to turn the city streets all rainbows. lol

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:09 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I prefer the Austin plan to SF's.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 10:10 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I'm wondering who is reading these thinking this is some gay agenda to turn the city streets all rainbows. lol
I want to see a superstitious homophobe walk across one. I'd be curious to see what happens. lol

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:06 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Lol, right... I wonder if Trulock's, the Hanger and whoever else that had some sort of concern thinks that just because they will be there that some people may not venture to their businesses anymore. I seriously don't think that will happen at all and if there are some by chance then who cares. They can go somewhere else if they have so much of an issue crossing or being in an area with colored sidewalks. Pretty petty and small minded imo. Either way, every establishment on that block will continue to get plenty of business.

They can live with Rainbow flags in full view from their businesses, oh but 4 Rainbow crosswalks is just too much? Puleeez!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Lol, right... I wonder if Trulock's, the Hanger and whoever else that had some sort of concern thinks that just because they will be there that some people may not venture to their businesses anymore. I seriously don't think that will happen at all and if there are some by chance then who cares. They can go somewhere else if they have so much of an issue crossing or being in an area with colored sidewalks. Pretty petty and small minded imo. Either way, every establishment on that block will continue to get plenty of business.

They can live with Rainbow flags in full view from their businesses, oh but 4 Rainbow crosswalks is just too much? Puleeez!
I don't think there will be much of a problem with it in Austin. Most people will probably just think its Austin being weird anyway and not know what it symbolizes.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I want to see a superstitious homophobe walk across one. I'd be curious to see what happens. lol
That might be worth waiting for .... camera in hand!
! LOL!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 7:55 PM

As someone who is also gay . I agree in its current format it looks tacky. Don't get me wrong it's nice that they are doing this but they should at least change it a little. Make it wavy or something. I mean for goodness sakes we are gay. Shouldn't it be real beautiful and artistic and at least look like a gay man/women did this. It just looks too tacky.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 7:57 PM

Sf did it right. I mean it would be really cool if they like did a rainbow skyline of Austin onto these crosswalks.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 2:17 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
Sf did it right. I mean it would be really cool if they like did a rainbow skyline of Austin onto these crosswalks.
Skylines change. It'd be difficult to justify ongoing expenses to change the sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:42 AM

Well I was thinking the skyline on the crosswalk would be permanent. More of a period piece. Stuck in 2014

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 10:19 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't see what the issue is with solid colors being tacky. For goodness sake, I don't know when San Francisco did there's but West Hollywood I think was the first to do it and theirs are solid and not one person that I know who has been to West Hollywood thought those were tacky just because they are solid colors. Be glad we are actually getting something like this at all. I have no problem with them being solid rainbow colors.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 6:26 PM

Like this view...if the lines join, I know I might have had too much to consume....referring to the SF coloring.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:15 AM

Personally, I prefer the rainbow crosswalks with separations between each color or with stripes like the one pictured in SF. I agree that the full-on rainbow color blocks are kind of tacky. However, tacky or not, as a gay man, I obviously support their implementation in Austin.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:17 PM

G a y A l s o

On vacation for the time to come out in mass on this site.

Since Austin does not have a "Gay District" I think something along the lines of SF's crosswalk is appropriate. Most folk might not immediately recognize the crosswalk as a nod to the history of the area....however they will notice something is "different". The SF crosswalk likely will not "scare" away customers who are not "of the rainbow." The SF crosswalk will also allow folk who refuse to walk on a rainbow to tip toe in the crosswalk on the black lines and still be crossing the street at the crosswalk.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
G a y A l s o

On vacation for the time to come out in mass on this site.

Since Austin does not have a "Gay District" I think something along the lines of SF's crosswalk is appropriate. Most folk might not immediately recognize the crosswalk as a nod to the history of the area....however they will notice something is "different". The SF crosswalk likely will not "scare" away customers who are not "of the rainbow." The SF crosswalk will also allow folk who refuse to walk on a rainbow to tip toe in the crosswalk on the black lines and still be crossing the street at the crosswalk.

So at least 11 gay men on this forum. That's a pretty good percent. I wonder what that percent is on other city forums. Hmmm....

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:19 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I think there are fewer straight guys on the Austin forum than gay. haha

Let's have a straight coming out party!

Me...I'm assuming Kevin and Hill Country. Not sure who else.

Honestly, I don't really care about the crosswalks. I've already stated my opinion on the execution of the idea. I will say rainbow crosswalks would not keep me out of an area. I don't really believe in districts anyway. It's my town and I go wherever I please. I think that's the way it should be for everyone.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:30 PM

I believe everyone should be welcome everywhere, yes, but I also believe that groups should be able to carve out niches where they can feel comfortable.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:54 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I know many people feel the same way you do. I don't and never have. I was never clique-y in HS either. I'm an army of one.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 9:52 PM
Meh

I don't always come close to hitting a tree, but when I do it's because I was distracted by a woman.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin