HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which CMA will reach 1 million first?
Quebec City 18 13.53%
Winnipeg 69 51.88%
Hamilton 35 26.32%
Other 11 8.27%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 8:30 PM

Next CMA to reach 1 million

Just for fun, saw that there was a poll like this from a few years back and thought it should be updated.

2016 census data:
Quebec City 800,296 (up 4.3% from 2011), 807,211 Jul. 1, 2016 estimate
Winnipeg 778,489 (up 6.6% from 2011), 811,874 Jul. 1, 2016 estimate
Hamilton 747,545 (up 3.7% from 2011), 778,417 Jul 1, 2016 estimate

Last edited by balletomane; Apr 10, 2017 at 11:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 8:33 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

My money stays on Winnipeg for 900K, but Hamilton sneaking in for 1 million. Mostly from there just being so many people in the region and Hamilton having cheap land, combined with eventually gobbling some nearby towns into the CMA.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 8:39 PM

Winnipeg as it becomes Canada's Portland, and continues to grow at sustained rates with young expats from more expensive big cities in the country

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 9:03 PM
Montérégien

It's a very good question.

I think that Hamilton has the better chances of reaching the 1M mark, being so close to the GTA. Toronto's growth is already spreading (in Burlington for example) and is not ready to stop with very strong immigration numbers.

On the other side, Winnipeg's growth is strong these days. But there's not much outside the city itself.

Quebec City is another interesting case. The metro region is already at ~903 000 if we add up all the suburban towns surrounding it that are developing fast (Donnacona, Cap-Santé, Pont-Rouge, Saint-Raymond, Saint-Apollinaire, Beaupré, Saint-Anselme...) All of these have reached 35 to 55% commuting to QCC, and steadily increase their connection to the city... The growth rates are slow but steady however.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 9:19 PM

I think the race comes down to Winnipeg and Hamilton. Although Hamilton has the slowest growth as of late, its proximity to Toronto could allow for it start booming a few years down the road.
As it stands right now, I'd say Winnipeg. The greatest hindrance to Winnipeg's potential is the lack of vision among the city politicians. Although the atmosphere of the city is becoming more proud and hopeful compared to the dead times of the late-1990's and early 2000's, there are still many people that seem to think of Winnipeg as being the "butt" of the nation. The city recently unveiled a report that hopes Winnipeg will grow to 1 million by 2035. If they really had vision they would be trying to get it there a bit faster and focusing on LRT instead of rapid transit...
I know little of Quebec City's growth, but from what I hear it receives the least number of immigrants annually and its growth rate has slowed recently.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 9:50 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

This is an old topic/thread... and needs to be merged with the previous thread...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 10:24 PM

Winnipeg hands down.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 10:25 PM

Many people are moving out of Toronto to Hamiton, Guelph and Kitchener. I have see steady growth in Waterloo region

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:08 PM

I'd expect Hamilton would take this race given that it benefits from the massive numbers at play in whatever GTA growth spills over to them.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'd expect Hamilton would take this race given that it benefits from the massive numbers at play in whatever GTA growth spills over to them.
I'd expect the same given its proximity to Toronto...but maybe those of us who are not from Hamilton overestimate the effects geographic proximity would have on development.

I think the original thread about this topic (from 2008?), had Hamilton and Quebec City almost in a tie, with a slim majority for Hamilton. Most were saying Winnipeg would be last. Interesting how so much can change in a decade, lets see what the next one brings!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:04 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
I'd expect the same given its proximity to Toronto...but maybe those of us who are not from Hamilton overestimate the effects geographic proximity would have on development.
Right now it's only moderate (Burlington has decent growth), but as Toronto keeps growing it will likely shift. Proper Go transit connections between Hamilton, Niagara, and Brantford will likely help a bit too (though those two areas aren't growing too fast... that could change), and eventually some nearby areas will fold into the Hamilton CMA (adding about 60K right now, putting it back up with the other three).

It'll be close though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:01 AM

I'm curious to know which city/cities those who voted "other" had in mind.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:13 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmira Guy View Post
I'm curious to know which city/cities those who voted "other" had in mind.
Surrey and Brampton

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Right now it's only moderate (Burlington has decent growth), but as Toronto keeps growing it will likely shift. Proper Go transit connections between Hamilton, Niagara, and Brantford will likely help a bit too (though those two areas aren't growing too fast... that could change), and eventually some nearby areas will fold into the Hamilton CMA (adding about 60K right now, putting it back up with the other three).

It'll be close though.
Improved GO Transit service was what I was thinking of when I made my comment... well, that and stratospheric real estate prices in Toronto which may or may not last.

With Toronto growing at a quick rate, Hamilton getting even a small portion of those large real numbers could really you guys up towards a million in a hurry. Quebec and Winnipeg don't have those potential boosts from a larger neighbour... picking Hamilton is not to suggest that the other two are in any way unhealthy or fading as cities, it's just that Hamilton has a very big neighbour next door.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:44 AM

Hamilton is dependent on how much spillover Toronto growth it gets. If the number increases significantly, it will most likely be the first, but it hasn't caused a surge in growth yet.

So without that, my guess is on Winnipeg, particularly because it is the primate city for a huge hinterland to draw upon, as well as being a popular immigrant destination vis-a-vis Quebec City.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 4:33 AM
gettin' rich!

I don't see Winnipeg getting to a million for a long time. Growth not that fast.

Hamilton, growing slow, but with benefit of not being in the middle of its own hinterland.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 8:16 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

My money's on Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 10:18 AM

I'm thinking Hamilton, just for the reasons others have outlined.

Having said that, I'm betting all three will hit a million within that same 5 years span. Almost a photo finish perhaps?
This grouping is just as tight as the middle three.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:36 AM

Poor Quebec City has even less votes than "other"...

What CMAs are people thinking of when voting other? KWC and London?
Suburban cities like Mississauga, Brampton and Surrey I guess could be in the running but they don't have a CMA.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:45 AM

For me, Quebec City has the greatest potential. Only if the immigration level ramps up. because there is none. only 3500-4000 immigrants /year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada