HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 10:55 PM
National Capital Region

January 2014 - Strandherd Armstrong Bridge Update

http://www.stevedesroches.ca/index.p...-bridge-update
I would like to provide residents with an update on the construction of the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge. Over the course of the winter months residents can expect to see the following work take place:

· Utility installation (i.e. Hydro, Bell, Rogers, traffic, lighting) on the approaches;
· Removal of the formwork for the deck;
· Formwork, rebar and concrete pour of the barrier walls as weather permits;
· Electrical wiring and lighting work, ducts, wires, installation of fixtures;
· Continued removal of temporary structures from the River.

City engineers continue to work very closely with the contractor to ensure all opportunities to accelerate the work continue to be explored.

I am pleased that progress continues to be made over the winter months, in sometimes difficult weather conditions. I look forward to the completion of the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge project.

The planned completion date for the bridge remains September 2014.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:27 PM

Anyone mind posting this article in here (I already viewed my 10 free monthly Sun articles)? The bridge isn`t even open yet, but it is already rusting!
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/23/...ilding-bridges

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:52 PM

I've used up my 10 views as well. I drive by here at least once a week and I'm not surprised. Hell, the bridge is probably halfway through its life cycle already, and it isn't even open!

So many times I have cursed this bridge because I needed to use a bridge to hop the river in that exact location.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Anyone mind posting this article in here (I already viewed my 10 free monthly Sun articles)? The bridge isn`t even open yet, but it is already rusting!
I'm pretty sure that if you delete your cookies, you'll reset your article count to zero. But here goes.

Quote:
City 'rusty' at building bridges
BY RON CORBETT ,OTTAWA SUN
FIRST POSTED: SUNDAY, MARCH 23, 2014 04:01 PM EDT | UPDATED: SUNDAY, MARCH 23, 2014 04:08 PM EDT

The e-mails started coming a week ago.

"Have you seen the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge recently?"

And:

"You have to go check out the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge."

My personal favourite:

"Is that what I think it is, on that stupid bridge in Barrhaven?"

So I went and checked it out, as suggested, and I'm here to confirm what those e-mailers saw while driving by that "stupid bridge in Barrhaven."

Yes, it's starting to rust.

Rather badly, as a matter of fact. Before a single car has driven across it.

It's almost an eyesore, as one of my e-mailers pointed out, a fellow who used to walk a nearby trail because of the lovely vistas of the Rideau River.

Now he walks and gazes upon the not-so-lovely vistas of a rusted-out-bridge.

"What in the world is going on?" Fred Garrett asked me. "I've never seen a bridge rust before it even gets finished."

Neither had I.

Even though there have been many firsts in the construction of this almost mythical creature called the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.

Now, before we go any further, I want to say I had an interesting visit to the bridge and I do not believe this rust is another city of Ottawa bridge cock-up.

Nothing calamitous has happened. There are no safety issues. There should be no further delay in finishing the bridge because of its rusting girders.

Yet it's still a strange sensation, standing before something that's badly rusted but never been used. Sort of like being in a Ford showroom in the mid-1980s.

"The problem is the paint," says Gloucester-South-Nepean councillor Steve Desroches.

"They weren't able to get it all painted last year when the pieces were put into place, and where there's no paint it has begun to rust.

"There is nothing wrong with the material. Nothing is rusting away."

Which is good to hear, as this bridge collapsing into the Rideau River would seem to many in Ottawa as a logical conclusion to the saga.

The City of Ottawa has been building the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge for nearly four years. By comparison, it took six to build the Rideau Canal back in the 1830s.

The latest expected-completion date for the bridge will see it take longer to build a 143-metre span over the Rideau River than it took to build the Confederation Bridge linking Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick.

By nearly a year.

It has been an embarrassing tale for everyone involved - the city, the contractors, the bonding company, a few welders - no one is swaggering on this one.

I even poked my head into the Delcan site-trailer when I was at the bridge last week -- just to confirm the no-paint-is-the-problem story -- and suspect there were biblical lepers who received warmer welcomes.

"My goodness, we can't talk to you," said one of the young engineers in the trailer. "Do you know how sensitive this project is?"

Well, yes.

Luckily for me they were three good lads, who did end up confirming the paint story, and what's more, convinced me in the earnest way politicians can't seem to master anymore, that the worst is behind us on this one.

"You'll be using it this year," one of them said. "We're on track for the completion date."

I was further encouraged when I left the site-trailer, drove to the Prince of Wales entrance to the bridge, then through an open gate, and rather surprisingly found myself at the lip of the bridge.

Where there were tire tracks in the snow, leading to the other side.

I stared in disbelief. Someone has actually used this thing. It works.

I was half tempted to try it myself (don't. I repeat - don't) then thought better of it.

This is Ottawa. This is a bridge. Why tempt fate?

Now, as for the completion date. It is Sept. 14. Confirmed once again with Councillor Desroches.

"And by completion date," I asked the councillor, "you mean that is the day when we will be driving across this bridge, right?"

"Yes," he answered.

"And all this rust, they just grind it down in the spring and put on a coat of paint?"

"Yes."

"It won't cause a delay, and there are no extra costs?"

"Yes."

"Are you tired of talking about this bridge?"

"Yes."

ron.corbett@sunmedia.ca

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:02 PM

Voila

Quote:
City 'rusty' at building bridges

BY RON CORBETT, OTTAWA SUN

The e-mails started coming a week ago.

"Have you seen the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge recently?"

And:

"You have to go check out the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge."

My personal favourite:

"Is that what I think it is, on that stupid bridge in Barrhaven?"

So I went and checked it out, as suggested, and I'm here to confirm what those e-mailers saw while driving by that "stupid bridge in Barrhaven."

Yes, it's starting to rust.

Rather badly, as a matter of fact. Before a single car has driven across it.

It's almost an eyesore, as one of my e-mailers pointed out, a fellow who used to walk a nearby trail because of the lovely vistas of the Rideau River.

Now he walks and gazes upon the not-so-lovely vistas of a rusted-out-bridge.

"What in the world is going on?" Fred Garrett asked me. "I've never seen a bridge rust before it even gets finished."

Neither had I.

Even though there have been many firsts in the construction of this almost mythical creature called the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge.

Now, before we go any further, I want to say I had an interesting visit to the bridge and I do not believe this rust is another city of Ottawa bridge cock-up.

Nothing calamitous has happened. There are no safety issues. There should be no further delay in finishing the bridge because of its rusting girders.

Yet it's still a strange sensation, standing before something that's badly rusted but never been used. Sort of like being in a Ford showroom in the mid-1980s.

"The problem is the paint," says Gloucester-South-Nepean councillor Steve Desroches.

"They weren't able to get it all painted last year when the pieces were put into place, and where there's no paint it has begun to rust.

"There is nothing wrong with the material. Nothing is rusting away."

Which is good to hear, as this bridge collapsing into the Rideau River would seem to many in Ottawa as a logical conclusion to the saga.

The City of Ottawa has been building the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge for nearly four years. By comparison, it took six to build the Rideau Canal back in the 1830s.

The latest expected-completion date for the bridge will see it take longer to build a 143-metre span over the Rideau River than it took to build the Confederation Bridge linking Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick.

By nearly a year.

It has been an embarrassing tale for everyone involved - the city, the contractors, the bonding company, a few welders - no one is swaggering on this one.

I even poked my head into the Delcan site-trailer when I was at the bridge last week -- just to confirm the no-paint-is-the-problem story -- and suspect there were biblical lepers who received warmer welcomes.

"My goodness, we can't talk to you," said one of the young engineers in the trailer. "Do you know how sensitive this project is?"

Well, yes.

Luckily for me they were three good lads, who did end up confirming the paint story, and what's more, convinced me in the earnest way politicians can't seem to master anymore, that the worst is behind us on this one.

"You'll be using it this year," one of them said. "We're on track for the completion date."

I was further encouraged when I left the site-trailer, drove to the Prince of Wales entrance to the bridge, then through an open gate, and rather surprisingly found myself at the lip of the bridge.

Where there were tire tracks in the snow, leading to the other side.

I stared in disbelief. Someone has actually used this thing. It works.

I was half tempted to try it myself (don't. I repeat - don't) then thought better of it.

This is Ottawa. This is a bridge. Why tempt fate?

Now, as for the completion date. It is Sept. 14. Confirmed once again with Councillor Desroches.

"And by completion date," I asked the councillor, "you mean that is the day when we will be driving across this bridge, right?"

"Yes," he answered.

"And all this rust, they just grind it down in the spring and put on a coat of paint?"

"Yes."

"It won't cause a delay, and there are no extra costs?"

"Yes."

"Are you tired of talking about this bridge?"

"Yes."

ron.corbett@sunmedia.ca

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I get around that nonsense by using "InPrivate" browsing in Internet Explorer, Private mode in Safari, or Incognito mode in Chrome. Works like a charm.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:33 PM

That Ford dealership remark was funny.

The bridge itself isn't funny!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I've used up my 10 views as well.
Don't mean to get off-topic, but there is a way to get around those 10 monthly views.

On Firefox: File > New Private Window

On Google Chrome: Open the window as "New ingognito window".

Works on both Ottawa Citizen and Ottawa Sun, never had to pay a nickel to read articles. Each time you open a new window in that fashion, the count resets!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:37 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
You can also just clear your cookies.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation