HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Yes! Spencer's gone so the Mayberry approach went with her. We're already seeing big ideas thrown out by Battle and the new CC. Give them a chance to make it all happen.

Bass Pro would work better near the river as it would only attract outdoor sports lovers. No way would it outdraw a family friendly state-of-the-art world class state aquarium in downtown where there's much more to do than out by the river.

And for the record, most states have an aquarium except for Alabama. Some states have multiple aquariums. Coca Cola could do a museum park like in ATL where there would be an aquarium, coke museum, and new science museum all within a shirt walking distance. Tie it in to Big Spring across from the VBC.

A world class zoo would be great as well but not in downtown. Madison would be a good location for a zoo or even a classic theme park that rivals Alabama Adventure. Memphis has the nicest zoo in all of America. Huntsville could build one on that scale with all the freed up space and land out that way. Plus Madison is one of the fastest growing cities in America.

There's so much potential in Huntsville. Thank God we finally got a mayor who now sees that.
I'm in kind of a hurry right now, but I want to make two quick points.

1. What's wrong with a downtown zoo? Indianapolis has a new, world class zoo, and it is downtown.

2. Don't you think we should wait a little longer before we shower Battle with accolades on his accomplishments? He might well prove to be better than Spencer, but aren't we jumping the gun a bit by pronouncing it so?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:52 PM

Old Copelands = New Nightclub

Club 222 is going into the old Copelands location on the Parkway.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Club 222 is going into the old Copelands location on the Parkway.
First I've heard of this so I did some Googling and found:

http://www.huntsville222club.com/index.php.

Looks like an amateur effort on the website so far, weather report is set for Pueblo, Colorado and Calendar is misspelled. Hopefully this is not indicative of the quality of the club.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlog View Post
I'm in kind of a hurry right now, but I want to make two quick points.

1. What's wrong with a downtown zoo? Indianapolis has a new, world class zoo, and it is downtown.

2. Don't you think we should wait a little longer before we shower Battle with accolades on his accomplishments? He might well prove to be better than Spencer, but aren't we jumping the gun a bit by pronouncing it so?
There's no room in downtown Huntsville for a zoo.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodagetta View Post
First I've heard of this so I did some Googling and found:

http://www.huntsville222club.com/index.php.

Looks like an amateur effort on the website so far, weather report is set for Pueblo, Colorado and Calendar is misspelled. Hopefully this is not indicative of the quality of the club.
WOW that is a pathetic website! Hours of OPPERATION?? Seriously? And they will bring Big City nightlife to Huntsville. Problem is, people say they want that here, but nothing ever survives. And given this location? Glad I'm not an investor!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 5:47 PM

Judging by the crowd 222 is catering to, if it doesn't fail as a business then it will get shut down by the police.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crr0004 View Post
Judging by the crowd 222 is catering to, if it doesn't fail as a business then it will get shut down by the police.
And exactly who are they catering to? I didn't see that anywhere on the website.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
And exactly who are they catering to? I didn't see that anywhere on the website.
To rednecks who want to see what "big city nightlife" is like.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 12:37 PM

look on the bright side... maybe it will keep all of the thugs down there and away from downtown and Bridge Street.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
look on the bright side... maybe it will keep all of the thugs down there and away from downtown and Bridge Street.
The website says...

Wednesday- Corporate Mingling

Thursday- 'Blues,Brandy,Cigars'

Friday- Ladies Night

Saturday- Everyones Party

Sunday- Jazz (ft. live band)

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that this is catered towards thugs.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:26 PM

I think that Huntsville should build a huge waterpark,I think this would do really well here!my opinion

I think if they build a 3 story building to start off where constelation is suppose to be,its a waste of that space. They should at least put a 12 to 16 story building some where on that property. I mean going down 565 east or west towards huntsville,wouldn't you rather see a tall building there other than a 3 story?!LOL I know i like looking at the tall buildings going down the interstate in Nashville and B'ham....just a thought

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:28 PM

If it were 1979, Copelands would have made a great game room...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
The website says...

Wednesday- Corporate Mingling

Thursday- 'Blues,Brandy,Cigars'

Friday- Ladies Night

Saturday- Everyones Party

Sunday- Jazz (ft. live band)

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that this is catered towards thugs.

I never said it would be catered to thugs. It doesn't have to be catered to them to attract them.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie256 View Post
I think that Huntsville should build a huge waterpark,I think this would do really well here!my opinion

I think if they build a 3 story building to start off where constelation is suppose to be,its a waste of that space. They should at least put a 12 to 16 story building some where on that property. I mean going down 565 east or west towards huntsville,wouldn't you rather see a tall building there other than a 3 story?!LOL I know i like looking at the tall buildings going down the interstate in Nashville and B'ham....just a thought
The waterpark idea is a really good one and would generate a lot of revenue to both Madison and Huntsville. But I wouldn't make it just a normal waterpark. I would add dark water rides, an amazon style 18-hole put-put course with fountains and falls and jungle atmosphere, an indoor nascar style mini-go cart track, mega sized arcade, a 100 acre theme park with a lake and a Ferris wheel on it multiple roller coasters, dark rides, outdoor amphitheater, food court, etc. A good location for something of that magnitude would be somewhere in Madison along HW20 where there's alot of free space and land for parking and future expansion development.

As for the 3 story building at Constellation, I don't know where that came from as one of the hotels was to be 6 stories. But now that Battle has gotten the height limit raised I would expect the developers to revise their heights to go taller than originally planned.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 8:16 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
The waterpark idea is a really good one and would generate a lot of revenue to both Madison and Huntsville. But I wouldn't make it just a normal waterpark. I would add dark water rides, an amazon style 18-hole put-put course with fountains and falls and jungle atmosphere, an indoor nascar style mini-go cart track, mega sized arcade, a 100 acre theme park with a lake and a Ferris wheel on it multiple roller coasters, dark rides, outdoor amphitheater, food court, etc. A good location for something of that magnitude would be somewhere in Madison along HW20 where there's alot of free space and land for parking and future expansion development.

As for the 3 story building at Constellation, I don't know where that came from as one of the hotels was to be 6 stories. But now that Battle has gotten the height limit raised I would expect the developers to revise their heights to go taller than originally planned.
The office building has always been a part of the development, remember it is across Clinton. As far as we know the mysterious invisible hotels are 6 floors. A more exciting concept would have been a 16-24 story building with
an overhead walkway to the main development and designed for future elevated tram south to Parkway Place and west to Research Park.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 8:20 PM
America's Mars Rocket

The earlier proposed light rail idea having tough sell..

Doug Gooch of Madison thinks so. The president and CEO of River Country Development has been evangelizing for his consortium's light-rail plan in speeches like one last week to the Huntsville Rotary Club.

City leaders, however, aren't sure. At least, they aren't sure about Gooch's plan.

Gooch's team has done a lot of thinking and he's done a lot of selling, but there's been no support from City Hall yet.

"I have been unable to get movement from the city to establish a light-rail authority," Gooch said Tuesday.

Such an authority is a must to apply for the stimulus funds.

"Contact your City Council members," Gooch urged the Rotary Club. "Contact the mayor."

Mayor Tommy Battle said Friday that he appreciates Gooch's passion, "but we have to make sure it makes sense, and dollars and cents."

Gooch's first phase would be an elevated, secure-access train that would run above Interstate 565. It would take thousands of cars off Research Park Boulevard and the interstate, he says, and set the financial foundation for more.

Gooch said Redstone Arsenal's commanding general could easily fill the trains just by saying to his work force, "You will ride the train."

"I don't see that happening," Battle said Friday.

The mayor said his administration is studying the issue and so is at least one volunteer committee. Nowhere in Battle's comments were the words "not happening" or "no way."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 7:17 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie256 View Post

Would never happen. There's already an amazing facility in Point Mallard in Decatur. Plus, if you want one that's closer to Huntsville, the one in Madison would be a good place to improve and expand.

Point Mallard is close to the interstate and is already an established vacation destination. Also one of the busiest "theme parks", and the busiest waterpark, in the state.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 1:17 PM

I have believed for years that we need a "real" motorsports park. Trust me, there is a demand for an NHRA sanctioned 1/4 mile track with a road coarse. One that can handle the big events. The perfect location would be Greenbriar/565.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:56 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Downtown Gateway Place appears ready to go..the senior housing adjacent to the hospital

On Monday, the authority board took a look at updated drawings of Gateway Place, a $10 million senior center set to cover three acres at the intersection of Gallatin Street and Lowe Avenue. On Monday,Housing Authority Executive Director Michael Lundy said he hopes to break ground on the new building later this summer or early in the fall.

The latest design, which was revised in the spring, drops the senior center from four stories to three stories. The brick building still contains 86 public housing apartments for the elderly spread across 90,000 square feet. The building, originally shaped like an L, now forms a horseshoe around an interior courtyard.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 6:03 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Lincoln Mill renovation has begun, located on Meridian Street North downtown

The estimated $20 million project calls for massive renovations to the main building into offices and possibly retail on the first floor, and condominiums on the second and third floors selling between $150 to $200 per square foot.

Parking will be in what is now the basement. The smaller old building in front of the main one will be renovated also for restaurants, shops and possibly an independent film theater.

MATHENY GOLDMON ARCHITECTS is the architect for the project and this firm is quickly being recognized as doing beautiful and superior design around the Huntsville area. Not the good ole boy lazy architecture this area has grown used to seeing but actual design that actually makes you stop and admire the building. The new downtown fire/police station mentioned a page or so back is an example and won an award for it. I don't have any affiliation with these guys.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast