HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:05 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Unlikely. The Streetview capture was from May 2021 and that film was released in June 2021. That would be too tight for post-production and pre-release activities, wouldn't it?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Unlikely. The Streetview capture was from May 2021 and that film was released in June 2021. That would be too tight for post-production and pre-release activities, wouldn't it?
Not if it was a Hallmark produced movie. They turn those around extremely quick with very limited editing it seems.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 5:25 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
Not if it was a Hallmark produced movie. They turn those around extremely quick with very limited editing it seems.
I am now curious for the turnaround time for a Hallmark movie, and yes - it should be more than a month rocketphish!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I am now curious for the turnaround time for a Hallmark movie, and yes - it should be more than a month rocketphish!
Less than 3 months.

https://www.vanmag.com/city/arts-and...ies-get-made/#

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 5:53 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
The Iphone commercials are true..

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 11:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

According to the CBC All In A Day interview that aired a few minutes ago, Enter the Drag Dragon [2022] was shot in Ottawa. A Hallmark movie this is not .

Video Link

Last edited by rocketphish; Aug 22, 2023 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 7:32 PM

I heard by word of mouth that a movie of the "slasher" genre is currently being shot in Ottawa. A local strip club is one of the venues for this film. I do not know what production company is making it.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Jul 9, 2023 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 11:17 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
I heard by word of mouth that a movie of the "slasher" gene is currently being shot in Ottawa. A local strip club is one of the venues for this film. I do not know what production company is making it.
Maybe the third one listed here?

https://facesmag.ca/3-movies-being-f...a-this-summer/

Quote:
I’ll Be Glad When You’re Dead

This IndieGoGo funded film is currently in pre-production, and is a throwback horror feature in the style of 80’s and 90’s slasher films. This production will be Sean Parker’s directorial debut, and will feature budding actors in the lead roles. The story follows Emily, a survivor of a horrific school massacre, who finds herself once again facing off against a serial murderer at a high school party gone wrong. The location is said to be in a singular location––a decommissioned war bunker in the Ottawa area.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
A decommissioned war bunker. I wonder where that might be.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Nope, not that one.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 9:29 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Made-in-Ottawa film Enter the Drag Dragon on area screen this week
It's an indie project for producer-director Lee Demarbre, a filmmaker who’s also the programmer at Mayfair Theatre.

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published Aug 22, 2023 • Last updated 25 minutes ago • 1 minute read

The made-in-Ottawa film Enter the Drag Dragon is back in town this week for a run at South Keys Cinema, plus a special Friday screening that includes a Q & A session with the cast and crew.

Seven months after its premiere, the comedy returns with a handful of awards from various film festivals, including three from the Hollywood Blood Horror Festival: best action/adventure film, best director and best acting duo.

The campy tale tells the story of Crunch, a part-time amateur detective and full-time drag queen, who finds himself dealing with corrupt cops, gangsters, zombies, androids, mummies and ghosts.

Producer-director Lee Demarbre, a filmmaker who’s also the programmer at Mayfair Theatre, describes his indie project as “the world’s first drag-fu action-horror-comedy,” and a “non-stop thrill ride of adventure, laughs, screams and romance.”

There’s plenty of local talent in the cast, including the award-winning duo Sam Kellerman and Jade London, as well as a soundtrack by Ottawa musicians John Carroll and Dave Bignell.

You can see it on the big screen at South Keys from Tuesday until Thursday or attend the Pride week event at the Ottawa Public Library’s Nepean Centrepointe branch on Friday, when members of the cast and crew will be on hand to discuss their work following the screening. Register for a free ticket at eventbrite.ca.

Note that viewer discretion is advised. The film has a 14A rating for gory violence, course language and sexual content.

lsaxberg@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...reen-this-week

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Made-in-Ottawa horror movie starring murderous Mickey Mouse unveiled as copyright ends
The film, Mickey's Mouse Trap, comes after Disney's copyright protection of the “Steamboat Willie” version of Mickey Mouse expired after 95 years.

Lynn Saxberg, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jan 10, 2024 • Last updated 14 hours ago • 3 minute read

A made-in-Ottawa movie is making waves as one of the year’s first productions to portray Mickey Mouse in a way unlikely to meet the approval of Walt Disney. In fact, it probably would have given him the willies.

Mickey’s Mouse Trap is a live-action horror film in which a murderous villain in a Mickey costume terrorizes a group of friends trapped in an amusement arcade. Ottawa-based actor/filmmaker Simon Phillips released the movie’s chilling trailer on Jan. 1, the day the copyright expired on Steamboat Willie, the 1928 animated film that’s considered Mickey’s debut.

Ninety-five years after its release, the Steamboat-era Mickey character is now in the public domain, making it fair game for imaginative creators. You may recall a similar thing happened to Winnie the Pooh last year when that character entered the public domain, and soon became a feral killer in an independent slasher flick.

Phillips, a British expat who emigrated to Ottawa about five years ago, said he was inspired to tackle Mickey after reading an article last year about the impending copyright expiration. He not only wrote and produced the movie, but also stars as the murderous villain.

Why horror? With a couple of horror flicks under his belt, including 2020’s Butchers and 2022’s Deinfluencer, Phillips has experience with the genre. Plus, he considered it an interesting experiment to flip Mickey’s happy-go-lucky personality.

“If, when Mickey Mouse entered the public domain and I made some sort of comedy or warm, fuzzy family movie about it, it’s not exactly breaking new ground,” Phillips said in an interview. “This is an opportunity to break new ground, to do something that Disney wouldn’t have perhaps done with their character. That’s what being creative is in a constantly evolving world.”

The film was shot after hours at Ottawa’s Funhaven, a location chosen because of its size and visual appeal. Cast and crew would arrive after closing and work until dawn.

“It is a completely Ottawa film,” Phillips says. “The actors are from Ottawa, as well as the production crew, design team, make-up – all the cast and crew are Ottawa-based. The only person who came in from Toronto was the director, Jamie Bailey.”

Born in Ireland, Phillips moved to Ottawa with his brother after he got to know the city while producing a TV drama called No Easy Days. He spent seven months in the nation’s capital to shoot the show’s 10 episodes.

“Because I was here for such a long time, I fell in love with it a bit more as a place to live at a speed I kinda like,” he said. “Ottawa is a big town rather than a city, in my mind. It doesn’t have the traffic of L.A. or Toronto but it has enough city for me.”

With his bearded countenance and menacing glare, the 43-year-old Phillips has gained a reputation as an effective bad guy. He’s won awards for his portrayal of Santa Claus in horror Christmas movies and has appeared in feature films alongside action stars like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis and Jean-Claude Van Damme. Currently you can see him in the Netflix series, FUBAR, with Schwarzenegger, and season three of The Witcher.

There are no Disney credits to his name – so far – but don’t get the idea that Phillips has some kind of beef with the magic kingdom. He’s a big fan of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and all the other Disney characters.

“People are wondering if this is revenge against Disney, and I’m like, ‘Not at all.’ I love Disney. I grew up with Mickey Mouse. I love anything Disney does,” he says. “There’s no revenge here. We’re just doing what Disney would encourage you to do: be creative and play.”

A full release of Mickey’s Mouse Trap is expected by March.

lsaxberg@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/entertainm...copyright-ends

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 5:22 PM

So it was filmed before the copyright expired. Would that not put it within the realm of litigation?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 8:33 PM

Mickey's mouse trap was filmed in Ottawa and amost of it I think at Funhaven by the Ikea.

Here is the trailer. At least one of the actors lives in Ottawa (maybe most of them?). Its generated a lot of press worldwide. Not sure how it will do though.

https://youtu.be/kAg7laUDXX4?si=twVBVaBJeceCsNAo

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:50 PM
Mooderator

I can imagine all the people filming mickey mouse (no tm) films just waiting for that expiry date to push out their crap that will still be crap once it's out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion