HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I was referring more of costs in terms of time. People sometimes forget that time is valuable. For office workers, you might only need to commute once in the morning and once in evening to get to/from work, but for students, sometimes you have 1h30 or 3h classes spread out between the day. The farther you live (or harder it is to get home), you set stuck either having to spend hours on campus (because going home is a hassle) or get very creative with your planning.
As a student, bus time equalled reading time for me. If your transit use reduces or eliminates the requirement to drive, you can hack that non-driving time into all sorts of productivity.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
know a word in French, it would seem that language shouldn't be an issue. In fact, close to where he lived, there was OC Transpo Routes 44 & 105. (This was back in 2018 though, so I wouldn't know how things have changed post the opening of Confederation Line.)
Route 85 to Terrasses de la Chaudière is the only OC Transpo route that provides continuous service to Gatineau every day until late at night. Most other routes only provide peak hours service, except Route 15, which provides limited service all day, but no service after 7:00 pm and no service at all on the weekends. But as Acajack mentioned, STO Route 400 would be a good alternative.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Route 85 to Terrasses de la Chaudière is the only OC Transpo route that provides continuous service to Gatineau every day until late at night. Most other routes only provide peak hours service, except Route 15, which provides limited service all day, but no service after 7:00 pm and no service at all on the weekends. But as Acajack mentioned, STO Route 400 would be a good alternative.
OC Transpo 85 is also not the most useful routing for a student who'd be oriented towards the University of Ottawa area. It serves the west end on the Ottawa side of the river.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:16 PM

Random question, hopefully some people can chime in and provide feedback.

My partner and I are looking to purchase a home in the west end of the city around Woodroffe & Carling. Apparently the neighbourhood is called Whitehaven? I don't have much experience in the west end of the city as I've always lived very centrally..

-Wondering if you guys can provide feedback on neighborhood. The neighbourhood looks very nice but we find Carling Ave to be a very mixed bag, not sure around surrounding areas.

-Carlingwood mall nearby seems old and in need of a refresh. Are there any big redevelopment plans for it? Tried to browse through the threads on here but couldn't find anything specific. There's a big construction project going on there right now, didn't know if it's a tower/rental project of it's a new Canadian Tire? I was confused..

Any tips or feedback would help and be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:11 PM

They are building a new Canadian Tire at Carlingwood, replacing the former Sears space. The current CT on Carling will close once the new one at the mall opens.

No other projects planned for the mall AFAIK.

I'm not familiar with the neighbourhood, so I can't provide further comment.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:

My partner and I are looking to purchase a home in the west end of the city around Woodroffe & Carling. Apparently the neighbourhood is called Whitehaven? I don't have much experience in the west end of the city as I've always lived very centrally..

-Wondering if you guys can provide feedback on neighborhood. The neighbourhood looks very nice but we find Carling Ave to be a very mixed bag, not sure around surrounding areas.

-Carlingwood mall nearby seems old and in need of a refresh. Are there any big redevelopment plans for it? Tried to browse through the threads on here but couldn't find anything specific. There's a big construction project going on there right now, didn't know if it's a tower/rental project of it's a new Canadian Tire? I was confused..

Hello everyone, long-time listener, first time caller here.

Depends what you're looking for. I actually think Whitehaven is a nice little enclave. Very suburban-esque however, but if you don't mind that you get big lots, close to transit, capital pathway system access, quiet, proximity to good public schools. Some cons are that you'd most likely be using a car regularly, even for simple tasks like grabbing a few groceries. Its walk score is probably pretty low. Carling and Woodroofe are both a nightmare to bike down or walk along. If you're used to centretown it might a big adjustment.

Loads of developments coming your way along the Carling corridor. The construction you see at Carlingwood right now is the new Canadian Tire. Lincoln fields will be under redevelopment for the next +20 years, multiple towers proposed around Carlingwood, several lots prime for redevelopment are listed for sale along Carling Avenue, and a bunch of infills. But that's not a bad thing. The increase in population will probably bring some new shops and restaurants to take advantage of, and increase property values.

In conclusion it depends what you're looking for in a neighbourhood. If you value a quiet, low density neighbourhood, with access to schools and green space to raise the kids than it's a decent place to buy. If you're looking for a more urban walkable neighbourhood with a choice of great restaurants and meeting places that you can ditch the car keys, than this ain't it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:

You'll be ideally located near Golden Palace (yum).

Transit on Carling isn't great, but you might be close enough to Carlingwood or Lincoln Fields that you can mostly avoid the 85.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:40 PM

We have a car (but don't use it much as we both work from home today). Don't necessarily use transit but figured the Stage-2 LRT being built nearby (Lincoln Fields and New Orchard both 1km away) will be both convenient and great for resale value.

I looked and apparently the location has a 79 walk score, 74 transit score and 58 biking score. With Starbucks, Shoppers, LCBO, Loblaw's all within walking distance, I think most of our basic needs would be covered nearby.

Will look into the developments proposed on Carling and Lincoln Fields, thanks - had not thought of that!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCity613 View Post
Hello everyone, long-time listener, first time caller here.

Depends what you're looking for. I actually think Whitehaven is a nice little enclave. Very suburban-esque however, but if you don't mind that you get big lots, close to transit, capital pathway system access, quiet, proximity to good public schools. Some cons are that you'd most likely be using a car regularly, even for simple tasks like grabbing a few groceries. Its walk score is probably pretty low. Carling and Woodroofe are both a nightmare to bike down or walk along. If you're used to centretown it might a big adjustment.

Loads of developments coming your way along the Carling corridor. The construction you see at Carlingwood right now is the new Canadian Tire. Lincoln fields will be under redevelopment for the next +20 years, multiple towers proposed around Carlingwood, several lots prime for redevelopment are listed for sale along Carling Avenue, and a bunch of infills. But that's not a bad thing. The increase in population will probably bring some new shops and restaurants to take advantage of, and increase property values.

In conclusion it depends what you're looking for in a neighbourhood. If you value a quiet, low density neighbourhood, with access to schools and green space to raise the kids than it's a decent place to buy. If you're looking for a more urban walkable neighbourhood with a choice of great restaurants and meeting places that you can ditch the car keys, than this ain't it.
Thx for that good info. And welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 6:30 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
My partner and I are looking to purchase a home in the west end of the city around Woodroffe & Carling. Apparently the neighbourhood is called Whitehaven? I don't have much experience in the west end of the city as I've always lived very centrally.

You have good taste.

Whitehaven is the area bounded by Woodroffe, Carling, 417, and Transitway. This is one of the inner west end's quality and most highly sought after neighbourhoods (mature neighbourhood with big lots for those looking for that).

To live in this neighbourhood you'll either:

1) Pay a LOT for a fixer upper or demo property, or
2) Pay a SHITLOAD for a new build

Across Woodroffe from there is Glabar Park/McKellar Heights. Also quality and highly sought after neighbourhoods (McKellar Heights moreso than Glabar) with overall appearance and price point to match/exceed Whitehaven. It's not uncommon to have NHL players living in these neighbourhoods, for example.

Back in Whitehaven, you have what is recognized as one of the finer public french catholic schools in town: Edouard-Bond. If that's important to you.

I believe this general part of town is one of the oldest (i.e. age of residents) in the city. So pretty quiet, although the rejuvenation is apparent.

Last edited by YOWflier; Feb 2, 2021 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
To live in this CITY you'll either:

1) Pay a LOT for a fixer upper or demo property, or
2) Pay a SHITLOAD for a new build
Here, fixed it for you

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback and notes. We ended up going through with the purchase and close on March 15th.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion