HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:39 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Permanent Daylight Savings Time

Ontario makes daylight savings time permanent … if Quebec, New York follow suit

The Canadian Press
Publishing date: Nov 26, 2020 • Last Updated 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

Ontario has decided to stop changing the clocks twice a year — if Quebec and New York State follow suit.

The Time Amendment Act, tabled by Jeremy Roberts, Conservative MPP for Ottawa West – Nepean, passed Wednesday on third reading in the Ontario legislature.

Bill 214 ends bi-annual clock changes and makes daylight time permanent, Roberts said in a statement

“I am thrilled that tonight my bill ending the time change in Ontario passed through final reading with unanimous support. Ontario is now poised to lead the way on ending this outdated practice,” Roberts said.

The attorney general will have discretion to enact the legislation if the other two governments make a similar move.

Roberts said he will call on Quebec and New York to end this “outdated practice.”

During debate on his bill, Roberts cited studies indicating negative health effects and productivity loss related to the time changes.

Some Canadian jurisdictions have already moved to end the changes, including Yukon and parts of Saskatchewan and Nunavut.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 26, 2020.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/canad...0-d9de7aca8d67

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I, for one, am not keen on being in Central Standard Time year round. Shouldn't a decision that affects the entire population of a province so profoundly be put to a referendum?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I, for one, am not keen on being in Central Standard Time year round. Shouldn't a decision that affects the entire population of a province so profoundly be put to a referendum?
Would you preference be to maintain time change or to make standard (Winter) time permanent?

My issue is tat it's/will be hard to keep track of what time it is in the other 50 States, 10 Provinces, 3 Territories if everyone has a different policy on DST.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:10 PM

I think I'm all for this, because I hate the fall time change and how early the sun sets starting in November.

But this article suggests some interesting counter-points: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...erts-1.5762772

I think I would hate permanent standard time though... I love those 9pm summer sunsets too much.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I think I'm all for this, because I hate the fall time change and how early the sun sets starting in November.

I think I would hate permanent standard time though... I love those 9pm summer sunsets too much.
For those same reasons, I'm glad they selected DST as the permanent time. That and, imagine how early the sun would rise in the summer if we maintained Standard Time.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Isn't DST in Ontario the same as Atlantic Standard time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For those same reasons, I'm glad they selected DST as the permanent time. That and, imagine how early the sun would rise in the summer if we maintained Standard Time.
Here in Arizona there is no DST... and I really enjoy not switching twice a year.

Part of the philosophy here is that since it is (almost) always sunny, who needs yet more sunshine in the evening.. especially when it's 42C out. Having the sun set "early" allows one to enjoy the evenings more.

It does get doubly confusing at work, as most other places switch, but North America and Europe do it at different times.

And yes... the sun rises earlier here, but all that does is encourage people to get out earlier... and get home earlier. A 6am dog walk is commonplace, while a 7-3 workday is typical in may offices... and since I'm a morning person anyway, I'm happy with this arrangement.

I'm all in favor of getting rid of the switch, and I do get both sides of this argument, but creating a permeant exemption to the standard global time zones kind of rubs me the wrong way.... people should simply adjust their day to standard light patterns, rather than create an anomaly to fit their day that is out of sync with the rest of the planet.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:00 PM

If New York changes, then all other eastern US States will follow suit.
Perhaps New England states will move to Atlantic time (it has been discussed), and perhaps even eastern parts of Québec like Gaspé under under Labrador

Under current system in Gaspé, the sun sets at 3:24PM on December 21... whoah! That's early!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Isn't DST in Ontario the same as Atlantic Standard time?
Yes, you're right. EDT = AST = UTC−04:00.

Where I was going with that is that if a region no longer switches between standard and daylight times, shouldn't it adhere to some standard time? ie. Can daylight savings time exist if there is no standard time for it to deviate from? It's a bit philosophical I guess.

Quote:
Would you preference be to maintain time change or to make standard (Winter) time permanent?
I prefer the system as it is now. I like the extra evening daylight in the summer, when the days are long. But when the days are short I prefer to have the sun rise at 7am and not 8am. I don't like to start my commute and/or work day in the dark.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:

My issue is tat it's/will be hard to keep track of what time it is in the other 50 States, 10 Provinces, 3 Territories if everyone has a different policy on DST.
Most places that are abolishing DST are doing it by keeping permanent DST. Saskatchewan did that, Russia did that, and all US states that are pushing for it (WA, OR, FL, etc) are doing that too. Regardless of the merits of permanent standard time vs permanent daylight time, the decision has already been made.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I prefer the system as it is now. I like the extra evening daylight in the summer, when the days are long. But when the days are short I prefer to have the sun rise at 7am and not 8am. I don't like to start my commute and/or work day in the dark.
I've always liked the idea of splitting the difference and adjusting the clocks 30 minutes forward in Spring and leaving it, but that would be even more confusing unless everybody was onboard. A referendum of the 4 options (Standard, DST, Split the difference, leave it as is) with a ranked ballot might have been the best way forward, but alas, that won't happen.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:18 AM

I'm all for permanent DST. The older I get the harder I find it to adjust to the time changes. Also I hate mornings so gimme dat afternoon sun.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Imagine how late the sun will rise in the winter if Ontario goes through with this idiocy.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
I've always liked the idea of splitting the difference and adjusting the clocks 30 minutes forward in Spring and leaving it, but that would be even more confusing unless everybody was onboard. A referendum of the 4 options (Standard, DST, Split the difference, leave it as is) with a ranked ballot might have been the best way forward, but alas, that won't happen.
Five: Keep the spring ahead and fall back, but put the time change back to April and October the way jebus intended.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:29 AM

I would love permanent daylight saving time in Ottawa, however, the latest sunrise would be 9:48 AM in Thunder Bay.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 11:20 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Imagine how late the sun will rise in the winter if Ontario goes through with this idiocy.
8:40 in Ottawa, 9:00 in Windsor.

I think for Ottawa it is okay, it gets worse going West though. In Ottawa people who work a “standard” 9 to 5 day would get light for both before and after work.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
I would love permanent daylight saving time in Ottawa, however, the latest sunrise would be 9:48 AM in Thunder Bay.
Thunder Bay is in the wrong time zone.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
If New York changes, then all other eastern US States will follow suit.
Perhaps New England states will move to Atlantic time (it has been discussed), and perhaps even eastern parts of Québec like Gaspé under under Labrador

Under current system in Gaspé, the sun sets at 3:24PM on December 21... whoah! That's early!
I believe the Gaspésie used to be on Atlantic time. Maybe 50 years ago or so. Need to check.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe the Gaspésie used to be on Atlantic time. Maybe 50 years ago or so. Need to check.
Just checked and Gaspésie was on Atlantic time until 1969.

Today only easternmost North Shore Quebec (near the Labrador border) and the Iles-de-la-Madeleine are on Atlantic time.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Whoah, strong opinions mate.

I love this idea, idiotic or not. Much more value for most of the population of Ontario to get extra evening daylight year round. Standard time year round would waste daylight most of the year during hours in which few are awake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion