HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 5:51 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Running total of my favorite buildings in Ottawa

I'm going to embark on a series on photos and a rundown of buildings that I admire.

I don't know if these images will show up properly. If they do I will provide a full commentary.

50 LAURIER

Last photo is Google streetview.

I figured it out! Next set of photos will be the power lines I grew up under as a kid.

Moving on.

This has been one of my favourite buildings for years. It's a great use of the given land parcel shape. It seems to mesh well with the restored Odell houses and integrated parking ramp.

They could have sold us short and not bothered with the articulated facade but instead we got treated to some really interesting masonry and materials. They didn't skimp on the details. This building may stand out in the future as one of those... gee it must have been nice to have the labour for work like that, as we often think looking at the masonry in Glebe houses. The stone on the ground floor and parapet with the coping are what should be a standard model to emulate. Had CP 1-4 emulated this with the rest of the building being stucco it would be an entirely different building.

One of my favourite details in the window lintels. First of all.. not nearly enough of our new brick buildings have lintels period, but in this case it's a materials matching deal on both top and bottom. Not only that, but it wraps from the articulated red brick sides onto the the tear drop ends so nicely. You can see the same sized lintels on the stone at the front 1/4 of the building and also at the end of the tear drops. The lintel also carries onto vertical bands on the sides of the end teardrop glass. Ditto for the 2 horizontal bands at the top of the building as well as the base.

I like the stone polka dots as well. They seem appropriately placed without being too tacky. You could argue they also draw your eyes away from the ventilation grilles.

Do I even need to mention the metal crowns at either end? plus they doubled down and added another one over the lobby.

In short, I don't really have anything bad to say about this building. I think it's also the perfect height. If it was another 10 stories the current effect would be lost. I'm not saying this is my favourite building in the city, but it's definitely on the short list.

-Excellent usage of land and integration
-Excellent material and colour pallet selection
-Timeless design IMO
-Outstanding workmanship (I've never seen a suspended scaffold for repairs)

Last edited by ponyboycurtis; Oct 21, 2021 at 4:32 AM. Reason: Cleaning up post and added photos.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:53 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

The Merit

As someone whose favourite style is arguably Art Deco, this building goes hard in the paint. There are so few buildings in this city, while still being pleasing to the eye, actually hit the mark on what they were trying to accomplish.

Window mullions aside... we have 3 different materials being used to excellent execution. Sandstone(or equivalent), black granite and stainless steel. New York City itself would welcome this building with open arms.

They didn't play around with the details here. That centre little pinnacle that protrudes higher than the roof? Check The horizontal stainless banding at the top laid over black granite? Check Appropriate setbacks that make sense? Check

Even the ass end of this building exceeds just about anything else in town

In conclusion... this building is an absolute champion because they didn't seek to emulate Art Deco... it IS Art Deco. While I am not an expert on NYC Deco buildings, to me this checks all the categories and does it in a very classy way. The building seems so much taller than it actually is with the verticality of the building lines. The proportions and materials used are second to none and its a masterful execution of the concept.

My only critique would be that a few extra floors would have been nice. Nothing to crazy, but 1 extra floor to each setback, say 3 to 5 floors overall. It suffers from not being prominent enough on the skyline and it's easy to miss while driving down the 417 despite having a clear sight line.

10/10 all day, every day.

Last edited by ponyboycurtis; Oct 19, 2021 at 7:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:45 AM

The Merit is THE ONLY residential building in Centretown/Golden Triangle that I love. In fact, it is pretty much the only one I LIKE AT ALL period.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:41 PM

I think the Hudson Park Towers at the Corner of Nepean and Kent are also great Art Deco building https://goo.gl/maps/wdULVyfmDYnpGcPv7

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The Merit is THE ONLY residential building in Centretown/Golden Triangle that I love. In fact, it is pretty much the only one I LIKE AT ALL period.
Same here, I always have to just stand there and appreciate it whenever I'm in the area.

I just wish it was bit taller, the building feels like it was cut off at the legs.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:49 PM
ハルウララ

The Merit is really great. Well done.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:10 PM

Yep, agreed. One if not my favorite building in Ottawa.

Also wished it was taller and in a more prominent location. Unless walking on Lisgar behind City Hall, you don't necessarily see it much.

Our nicest buildings are hidden while the ugliest are front and center.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:40 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I think the Hudson Park Towers at the Corner of Nepean and Kent are also great Art Deco building https://goo.gl/maps/wdULVyfmDYnpGcPv7
Hudson Park is going to be subject to one of my poetic waxings in the near future. I already have the photos. Not sure if I want to do 2 Deco buildings back to back though, we only have so much good content

Relax! Don't do it! When you want to ...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:18 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Guess what lads? It's been a week, so it's time for another episode.

1510 Riverside Dr.

The deco font has already made my pantaloons moist.

When you see brass, you know you're rubbing shoulders with that old white money.

There is a certain irony that this set of buildings has a higher homicide rate than the buildings on Caldwell Ave. But I digress...

While I appreciate all 3 buildings here, 1510 really stands out. It's sister building 1500 has many of the same properties and is still a fine building, but the tint of the concrete is considerably off. 1500 is beyond beige and into a sandy weathered color which belies what is an otherwise finely shaped building, albeit secondary to 1510. I understand 1500 was built in 1986 and 1510 was built in 1998, but I feel like there is more to it than 13 years of weathering.

Shame on me for shooting on an overcast day. The contrast in concrete with 1500 is easily seen, 1510 is white as can be on a sunny day.

This building is just gorgeous. No BS.. just bright white concrete.. black mullions.. crazy articulation that makes sense, bay windows and balconies both look great from the outside and perform well functionally from the inside.

What is there not to like about this? So simple and elegant. Clearly fancy without being schmancy.

Shameless night shots.

In a way, it reminds me of the Minto Place Hotel downtown but unfortunately they elected to use the faux copper green mullions to pay homage to Ottawa heritage. While I appreciate that, this is a much better look.

It's interesting that done correctly, this old school prefab style construction can visually out perform a lot of new builds. For myself at least, she's as clean as a whistle.

I like the shape of 1500 but the panels are slightly weird. Seeing the two next to each other it's not hard to form a preference. The concrete color is the real difference without a doubt.

For overall context, here is 1480. While I like it very much and prefer it to 1500, it lacks the pop of 1510. Without the black window mullions I find this facade shows its age. The concrete is also more of a beige tone and seems a little tired.

In the end.. I think you would be hard pressed to find 3 buildings in a complex, with nice grounds, interesting use of the lot and unique but complementing designs. Sure they are car oriented development despite being right next to Hurdman but I think it's hard to miss The Rivieras as a unique and interesting gem in the Ottawa cityscape.

Last edited by ponyboycurtis; Oct 28, 2021 at 7:02 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:04 PM

Spoiler alert: These buildings were coated several years ago. Someone made the decision that each building would be a slightly different shade of beige. None of them are bare concrete. You're right, the lighter one does look more 'clean'. Much like the new, fluorescent white, Lees Avenue Apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Guess what lads? It's been a week, so it's time for another episode.

While I appreciate all 3 buildings here, 1510 really stands out. It's sister building 1500 has many of the same properties and is still a fine building, but the tint of the concrete is considerably off. 1500 is beyond beige and into a sandy weathered color which belies what is an otherwise finely shaped building, albeit secondary to 1510. I understand 1500 was built in 1986 and 1510 was built in 1998, but I feel like there is more to it than 13 years of weathering.

For overall context, here is 1480. While I like it very much and prefer it to 1500, it lacks the pop of 1510. Without the black window mullions I find this facade shows its age. The concrete is also more of a beige tone and seems a little tired.

In the end.. I think you would be hard pressed to find 3 buildings in a complex, with nice grounds, interesting use of the lot and unique but complementing designs. Sure they are car oriented development despite being right next to Hurdman but I think it's hard to miss The Rivieras as a unique and interesting gem in the Ottawa cityscape.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 12:16 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Oh really? Well that is certainly interesting to know. I don't recall that happening. I'd love to hear a year if anyone remembers that.

Regardless, I think the styling of 1510 is the best of the three. It's s shame they didn't do all three buildings.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 6:06 PM

When we first learned of the complex decades ago, we tagged that as our retirement goal, sell our home in a rural village and move here. Close to transit to downtown, on great walking paths, every amenity you could wish for.

When we actually decided to 'pull the trigger', we viewed an apartment for sale to get a sense of how much downsizing we had to do of our stuff and then watched the rental prices in the complex. Since we started the process 18 months before we intended to move, we watched rental availability in the complex (we didn't want to own anymore.) When it was time to actually rent a place, nothing was available. After a year of 2 - 3 units at time, the market had dried up and there was nothing at all.

We ended up in Westboro in a rental building, instead of condo, and are much happier as a result, partly because it is not an 55+ only community, BUT I still have a fondness for that complex and was envious of the amenities (until Covid.) On the other hand, we dodged a bullet with Hurdman being closed in 2015 for 4 years. One of the things that attracted us to the property, was it being on the transitway.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 3:13 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

It's that time again ladies and gentlemen.

I have a bit of an oddball today.

1025 Richmond Rd.

This building makes me feel a certain type of way.

I love how linear and repetitive everything is. It's perfect in it's simplicity.

The black mullions and tinted glass really do it for me. I couldn't imagine this building with bare aluminum and green tinted glass.

The angle balconies are an interesting touch. Also one of the few balconies where I appreciate the square metal spindles on the railing. It really emphasizes the verticality of the building.

A quick search tells me this building was built in 1978. Of all the prefab construction stuff that went up in this era this is definitely one of my favorites. The vertical bands of black glass rising from the ground to the top really makes the building for me. This thing is a gem. Don't sleep on it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 5:33 PM
National Capital Region

We used to spend New Year's Eve there while my friends grandparents were out of town. Georgeous views of the Ottawa River.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:04 PM

Great post!

This building must have shared an architect with 'Riviera Gates Apartments' over behind Ikea.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:24 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Great post!

This building must have shared an architect with 'Riviera Gates Apartments' over behind Ikea.
Ah, very true! That building doesn't quite stack up to this one but there is certainly a comparison there with the balcony style.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:07 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Whelp... I think it's time for another snack.

We knew this one was coming, it was just a matter of time. Ladies and Gentleman may I present to you...

Minto Metropole

Completed in 2004, Metropole is the 3rd tallest building on the Ottawa side of the river.

Round peg in a square hole that works oh so nicely.

I never saw this building up close until I went to take these photos. I gotta say.. the ground floor is pretty underwhelming. If you told me this was an entrance to a commercial office building I would have no reason to disbelieve you. Furthermore... the exterior materials through the entire building aren't that far off Claridge Plaza from what I can see.

That being said.. the overall shape and form of the building is wonderful. The rounded crown of the roof that carries throughout the height of the building is what makes it so. By no means is it award winning architecture it sure looks DAMN good from a slight distance like Scott st. It's a simple building but masterfully executed.

This was also one of the first prominent buildings to be built after what I call the slump of the 1990s. As a kid in the 90s it was extremely rare to see any cranes in the sky so when this thing popped up it certainly made a lasting impression on me.

Have a great new years my fellow enthusiasts and reach for the sky.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:24 PM

Which do you like more, Metropole, or it's very slightly modified clone 'Ovation at City Centre' built in 2010 in Mississauga? I have long wondered what the story is there.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 12:34 AM

I really like Minto Metropole definitely has one of the most distinctive rooftop in Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:07 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Which do you like more, Metropole, or it's very slightly modified clone 'Ovation at City Centre' built in 2010 in Mississauga? I have long wondered what the story is there.
Ha.. that's funny. I was looking at the area around Square One shopping center on google streetview the other day and noticed that building. Definitely did a double take.

Ovation seems to have a superior entrance by far. Also, a much wider rounded glass in the center with inset balconies. The squared side of the building also curves with the cylinder on two sides.

I would have to defer to Ovation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion