HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 11:22 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Welp... I was going to string my next post a little further but after Kitchissippi's comment in the Design Inspiration thread I figured I would just send this one. I shot these a little while back among a few other buildings.

The Barclay

All buildings should have a proper name.

Just monster sized balconies here. I wish that building on Lees ave reworked their balconies from the metal square stock spindles as opposed to closing them all in. I had a friend who lived there way back and it was cool to have two separate balcony doors. Living room and the Master.

I don't find the old style stucco a bother here. It's used in the just the right amount. The building is still mostly glazing. I'd imagine the feeling within the balcony must be a little more cozy than open railings so see through glass.

I need to invest in a real camera/lens and a drone. I also need to plan my shots around certain times of day and think of shadows.

For some reason I love to include the parking garage entrance signs whenever possible. I like typography.

Wrap around balconies are the tits. There's only a few buildings in the city with wrap around balconies in town that I don't like. East Market being one of them.

The Barclay seems very light and airy despite being a boxy precast concrete rectangle. It's like the balconies are cooling fins on a heatsink and the building is otherwise just a wall of glazing. I actually didn't even know this building existed until I stumbled across it while shooting some stuff along Richmond rd. I was immediately drawn to it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 4:03 PM
Busy Beaver

I used to have a good view of this building before the Westboro Station condos were built and loved how the sunset would filter through the corner units. Despite the solid balconies, this building has a awesome translucent quality to it. If I lived there, I'd deck out the apartment with airy mid-century style furniture with spindly feet.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I used to have a good view of this building before the Westboro Station condos were built and loved how the sunset would filter through the corner units. Despite the solid balconies, this building has a awesome translucent quality to it. If I lived there, I'd deck out the apartment with airy mid-century style furniture with spindly feet.
And an Eame's chair for reading by the windows!

I think I've mentioned before how much I love this building....and how one of those Zibi towers has a very similar vibe.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
And an Eame's chair for reading by the windows!

I think I've mentioned before how much I love this building....and how one of those Zibi towers has a very similar vibe.
Are you talking about Aalto Suites? I would have liked that building if they hadn't of cladded it with Claridge Yellow™ and Lahey Charcoal™.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 6:36 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Welp... It was my birthday yesterday and today I'm working on my hangover with a big ole bottle of Stoli. Full send lads. I love you all. I still have a backlog of shots from last fall when I started this series. I was in Toronto and milling around with various BS for months. So I would like to get back to the matter at hand.

Upperwest

485 Richmond Rd. ladies and gents. The telltale address of a socialite. When you absolutely want to live in Miami but settle for Ottawa because you love your mother. When you have Ferrari 360 money but not Ferrari 488 money. When your late night marching powder has only been stepped on twice. When you pass someone a bone white card for your address rather than just texting them the same. When you walk out onto your river facing balcony in a pair of sandals that equal your mortgage payment. When you do inclined situps because you enjoy the gains.

This... is Upperwest... And I'm Ponyboy Curtis and today I will show you all the quirks and features of this minty ass building.

This building... is ... ohhhh.. just a real head turner while at the same time flying under that radar. Nobody ever talks about this lovely structure. It just nestles in so nice with its surroundings. Similar to my much beloved towers at Riverside/Hurdman, the white panel with black spandrel is a look that will never die. Like James Dean with blue jeans and a white tee with a smoke dangling. This building will never not be cool.

I will admit... the podium is a little wackado compared to the rest of the tower. It's a little unsettling. I don't dislike the podium.. it just seems poorly integrated with the tower. Biggest strike on the whole development. It clashes but it's not a massive turnoff.

oh my!

This building make my PP hard.

Seriously... I cant think of a single bad thing about this structure other than the podium being a little bit off. You can't even see that though due to how this lovely gem is positioned relative to Richmond rd.

I will tell you a funny story in regards to this lovely lovely absolute gem of a construct.

Years ago, 10? 12? don't recall. Upperwest was under construction and I was walking through Westboro village with wifeypoo. We came across the sales center. They had a giant model of the building on display. It was lovely. I work in construction. Wifeypoo was in school for architecture. We also happened to be building a carboard model for a school project at the time.

So naturally we just gushed over the idea of a 3 foot tall model of the building.

We went inside to see the model and the sales lady approached us asking some benign question. To wit .. we replied.. "oh no we are just here to see the model". and she immediately tried to usher us to the in-suite kitchen model. It was the worlds most awkward moment when we had to explain.. no.. we literally mean we are here to see the building model because we are weird nerds and this shit makes us intrigued. Good times!

Anyhow...

This building fucks. It is soooo clean and beautiful. I love the horizontal banding. The fact that it is a slightly irregular shape is great but I think the continuous horizontal banding is what really makes it tick for me. Could you have achieved the same result with a rectangular floor plate? perhaps. Kudos to going full send and going sailboat. This isn't your average domicile and they clearly and cleanly committed to that mantra.

This literally feels like a building were you tell someone the name of your tower as opposed to the address. That is gangsta my friends. You know you've made it when you park your 3rd hand 360 up in here.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 6:48 PM

Very well said. I agree with you on every point. Great story about gushing over the actual model, I'd be in their doing the same thing. This is one of my favourite buildings in the NCR .

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:06 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Very well said. I agree with you on every point. Great story about gushing over the actual model, I'd be in their doing the same thing. This is one of my favourite buildings in the NCR .
I know eh? I still crane my neck out the window every time I am close to it. Metropole is awesome but I think I might tip my hat to this one if I had to chose.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:11 PM

Minto builds some great projects outside Ottawa, and every 5-10 years or so, they throw us a bone with something like this, metropole and the Lansdowne towers.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:10 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Minto builds some great projects outside Ottawa, and every 5-10 years or so, they throw us a bone with something like this, metropole and the Lansdowne towers.
Word. Minto lays down some yummy stuff. I wasn't aware this was Minto. Please sir... may I have some more?

The Bank and canal tower @ Lansdowne is very nice. Shes a real performer.

Speaking of curved faces, I'm quite excited to see the worlds slowest tower at Queen and whatever st and part of that church.

We also have that similar plan in Orleans near the mall facing the highway.

Give me more convex face slabs please

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Word. Minto lays down some yummy stuff. I wasn't aware this was Minto. Please sir... may I have some more?

The Bank and canal tower @ Lansdowne is very nice. Shes a real performer.

Speaking of curved faces, I'm quite excited to see the worlds slowest tower at Queen and whatever st and part of that church.

We also have that similar plan in Orleans near the mall facing the highway.

Give me more convex face slabs please
Minto teamed-up with Canderel for Upper West.

True, the Orleans proposal where the RBC was is quite simmilar to the Cathedral Hill II tower. Same architect?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:40 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Minto teamed-up with Canderel for Upper West.

True, the Orleans proposal where the RBC was is quite simmilar to the Cathedral Hill II tower. Same architect?
Consider my fancy tickled then. I've been so eagerly awaiting Cathedral Hill (thank you for filling in the title. Vodka based blank) Let's hope the slowness on that one equates to a high quality project.

All this goes to show that we are more than capable of quality projects in ye olde Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:41 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Originally when I started this series I hadn't really considered commercial buildings but I feel this one is worthy. I'm also biased as I worked here back in the very early 2000s when there was only 2 towers.

Constitution Square

Absolutely grand entrance, even by standards outside of Ottawa. That dark blue polished granite is stunning material and it pairs perfect with the tint of glass at any time of day and in any lighting condition. Even the entrance lettering is an exquisite choice.

While far from a ground breaking design it's still a great execution. The geometry nerd in me salivates at the shapes and cutaways.

I love the mirror and tint on the glass. It's just the right amount of everything. The consistency between panels is also very on point. There is little no to deviation between the panels when you step back and look at the structure as a whole. Even with all 3 towers being separately over the span of (?) years, you wouldn't know it.

This building would not look out of place in Manhattan. I'm glad in a way the middle tower is the same height. Making the center tower taller would be too obvious. I like the uniform height and cascading corners.

I love the lattice work awnings over the entranceways. It's not something that needed to be done and its a very interesting feature. It's visually busy while at the same time looking very clean and neat. I love that it's boxed in with square glass to tie it in to the rest of the structure. The paint color choice is also on point and lets it blend very well. You could walk by on the street and not notice it and then when you do notice it, it allows you to be intrigued by its internal structure.

I think I got really lucky with the time of day and the shadows. They are almost perfectly symmetrical in the cutaways. God, I love me some symmetry.

You can see here the undeniably top tier materials and craftsmanship. Those little sconces have a bit of an Art Deco flair to them which as you know tickles my fancy. They didn't have to make each side entrance look like this but they did.

Here is an average profile of a kneewall/window sill or whatever you would like to call it. Flawless materials and installation with no degradation after 20 ish years. I walked around the entire building and had a look at every inch of the high wear and tear areas along the sidewalk. Subjects to salt and plows etc and every spot of it looked exactly like this. Too often I see buildings ejecting commercial grade polyurethane 50 year caulking. Not here. Have there been issues? Perhaps? Have they been rectified by a certified professional using the same materials? Absolutely. I would be pressed to find a better maintained building than this one based on my findings.

Meh.. here's you causal B site entrance on Slater st., nothing to see here folks! This is only for the Purolator drivers. This photo was from another visit. Excuse the wash.

So in closing, I really admire this building for so many reasons. It's cool that its takes an entire city block. I suppose you could argue that it doesn't have any retail frontage like Minto Place does across the street but I will defend that by saying that it is dead center in the middle of the hardcore CBD and is surrounded by much of the same. It does have the caveat of wide sidewalks and a reasonable amount of tree planting. It also has the Baton Rouge restaurant that sets up a summer patio, plus the Starbucks patio @ Albert and Kent, so it's not a dead presence by any means. The Albert and Slater sides of the podium are finished in that beautiful dark blue granite. The Lyon and Kent facades are fully glassed but have those beautiful stonework capped entrances with the lattice canopies.

I've seen what a lot of newer retail frontages look like (silver aluminum squares) and I am willing to let that slide easy.

I guess it's story time.

Back in 2001 ish I used to work in this building. 18 year old night time security guard. Got the job from a temp agency with my buddy. The chick at the agency liked us so she placed him at PDV across the street. The only difference? They had 6 guards... they also figured out how to hook up a mini Play Station One to the back and white security monitors at the desk and played games on an 8 inch screen. My buddy would come across the street to visit me in the wee hours of the morning. They also took rotating naps in the janitors store room or something. Lucky pricks.

Anyhow, back to myself. My shift was 8pm to 8am if I recall. For the first month I was on probation. So from 8pm until ... perhaps 11? maybe midnight, I was tutored by another guard. After that I was the sole person over night for both towers (it was only 2 at that time). At 6am a second guard would show up to man the desk for the middle tower(I worked the west tower desk)

I passed probation obviously, the job was pretty easy. Twice a night go around and check each and every door handle on every floor and make sure it's locked. Oh, and don't fall asleep.

So....

On my very first night alone... at 5:30 am or whatever it was.. way before just about anyone every shows up, all these suits and various persons show up. I'm like.. "may I help you?". It's the Fire Marshall and at least a dozen firemen. They are here to test all the alarms and elevators etc. Great.. Nobody told me but ok. I know how to use the main console and turn the alarms and elevators on and off etc.

I turn the alarms and elevators to test mode. All the alarms are going off and the elevators are forced into service mode or whatever. EZ enough. 6 am comes and goes... the dude who is supposed to man the second tower is a no show. That's ok, everything is going well. Come 7:30am and change.. a few early risers show up early to the office. Alarms are going off and the elevator only functions on service mode still.

Around 8am or so the Marshall comes by and says that they are done with testing and I can turn the main alarm control off. "No problem sir!" I reach down to my trusty janitor spec key set of 200 keys... grab the main alarm key and go to shut the main off.

I shit you not... the key twisted like a stick of butter and snapped off. So now the shank of the key is stuck with the alarm in the ON position. The Marshall and I just looked at each other like ..."oh dear". Still no sign of my second dude for the other tower. It's my first morning alone. There is now a slow but steady stream of people trickling into the building.

I figure.. I have a backup set of keys.. I'll goto the console for the middle tower and try that. Nothing happens, flipping the key back and forth does nothing.

There is no building manager on site. I don't recall the exact sequence of events but I had no one to call or bail me out or anything. I'm 18 and standing here in a lobby with 30 foot ceilings, everything is polished granite and glass. I'm surrounded by all these professionals looking at me like I have the answer. I'm wearing their polyester excuse for a suit but I certainly don't have any answers. I also have long blonde hair past my shoulders and I may or may not have routinely gone to go burn a joint in the loading dock every single night after my mentor left.

So.. it's do or die. I think.

I recall on my rounds.. there was a lunchroom of some sort of the ground floor that was always unlocked. I never bothered to worry about it as the only thing in there was chairs and tables and a microwave which I used a few times. There was courtesy packets of hot chocolate mix that I would throw in a cup of water and nuke.

BUT... on that particular night.. there was a tradesmans pouch laying on the floor in front of the microwave. I recalled seeing a full set of Allen keys. I ran over and grabbed the set of keys. Using the two smallest keys I was able to coax the snapped key shank out of the cylinder. The spare keyset I had worked perfectly. Everybody just walked away like it was nothing. Meanwhile in my head I felt like I had crawled through the beaches of Normandy.

That was a good 15 minutes of people staring at me like I had answers and they are 2 or 3 times my age. I'm trying to man 2 security consoles for a combined 40 something stories of office and a dozen elevator shafts with queries from the loading dock area alone.

The irony was that I felt like I had wrapped the situation up so nicely and returned the tools and pouch to where I found them but that wasn't the end of it.

It never occurred to me to write an incident report about the broken key. I was written a like.. massive red card report about the broken key. Meanwhile.. not a word of praise about handling a massive shit storm about my first day alone, my co worker never showing up and also resolving the situation for everyone aside from the snapped key.

I ended up getting sacked a month or two later when I requested a 3 week leave absence to go visit a girl in Singapore. Still a good time though.

I hope that wasn't to long winded, but that is my personal interaction with Constitution Square.

Cheers.

Last edited by ponyboycurtis; Sep 16, 2022 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 12:51 PM

I've been working at Constitution Square for nearly 10 years. Canderel, and before that, Oxford have always been fantastic; buildings were always clean and well maintained, upgrades and renovations were done when needed. Nice gym with group courses available, conference centre, bike room, a dentist and daycare. It does have retial that mostly faces inwards, but most do have street presence as well (notably Starbucks on the corner of Albert and Kent), just not as obvious as Minto Place.

The lobby is getting a redo now which features quite a lot of wood, while maintaining some of the original blue granite.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...t=constitution

It was among my favourite towers as a teenager (along with Place de Ville, which unfortunately has not had the same care as CSQ). Just too bad we have so much blue glass in one corner (with Minto and the Centennial Building).

The centre tower is a little bit taller, at 21 floors, compared to 18 and 19 on each side. Just enough for a little interest, but not overly. Nice terraces are on top of the podium between the towers.

I agree that the Slater side is the only one that's a disappointment, but the parking and receiving ramps have to go somewhere, I suppose.

Good story. Keep em' coming!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:12 PM

That. Story. Is. EPIC!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 7:55 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
I've been working at Constitution Square for nearly 10 years. Canderel, and before that, Oxford have always been fantastic; buildings were always clean and well maintained, upgrades and renovations were done when needed. Nice gym with group courses available, conference centre, bike room, a dentist and daycare. It does have retial that mostly faces inwards, but most do have street presence as well (notably Starbucks on the corner of Albert and Kent), just not as obvious as Minto Place.

The lobby is getting a redo now which features quite a lot of wood, while maintaining some of the original blue granite.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...t=constitution

It was among my favourite towers as a teenager (along with Place de Ville, which unfortunately has not had the same care as CSQ). Just too bad we have so much blue glass in one corner (with Minto and the Centennial Building).

The centre tower is a little bit taller, at 21 floors, compared to 18 and 19 on each side. Just enough for a little interest, but not overly. Nice terraces are on top of the podium between the towers.

I agree that the Slater side is the only one that's a disappointment, but the parking and receiving ramps have to go somewhere, I suppose.

Good story. Keep em' coming!
Oh there is a difference in the floor heights? My mistake, it's hard to tell from the sidewalk and I certainly don't recall the minutiae of that while working there. I do remember the lobbies were almost palatial grounds while working there. Super fine finish work everywhere. I am also aware about them going a bit sideways with the usage of wood in the lobbies but I have no reason to think they won't pull it off.

I wanted to mention the terraces but I couldn't really get them in a photo nor do I have any experience being up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
That. Story. Is. EPIC!
Easily the sweatiest day of my life up until that point haha!

Did I just learn how to multi quote??? That changes everything.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 11:35 AM

Technically, anyone could get up to the 3rd floor terraces during work hours, but not sure if anyone from outside is "officially" allowed.

There used to be a 3D computerized model you could find only that was visualy clearer that the centre tower was taller, but can't find it anymore. Otherwise, it's really hard to see.

Yeah, multi-quote makes it way easier. I feel bad I forgot who pointed out that feature a few days ago...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 8:51 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Oh god. You've given me a horrible idea to go and try to photo shoot every rooftop terrace in the city.

I need to crowdfund bail money and new Sketchers. I'm about to clock 1 million steps since June 6th when I reinstalled my walking app. Plus I broke my toe at the Chinese night market on Sparks wearing sandals against bad concrete in mid July and then got blood clots in my other leg for August. Not my finest tail end of summer.

My tombstone should just be a link to this page. Just a greasy ole QR code etched into it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post

My tombstone should just be a link to this page. Just a greasy ole QR code etched into it.
This page is fine work so that's not a bad idea!

(I just tuned in after a hiatus so have been nodding my head as I read.)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:57 PM

Having caught up on this post, one thing that strikes me is the living Hell the people in the Metropole, Barclay, Upperwest, and 1025 Richmond are going through right now. The LRT construction is noisy and messy and disrupting access to one's home.

As well, with all the other towers going up along Scott and Richmond, I wonder if the buildings will 'disappear' into the background. Although part of the Barclay's magic is that it has never really dominated the skyline (unlike the Metropole which is how I find my home when looking at skyline shots.)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 4:03 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
Having caught up on this post, one thing that strikes me is the living Hell the people in the Metropole, Barclay, Upperwest, and 1025 Richmond are going through right now. The LRT construction is noisy and messy and disrupting access to one's home.

As well, with all the other towers going up along Scott and Richmond, I wonder if the buildings will 'disappear' into the background. Although part of the Barclay's magic is that it has never really dominated the skyline (unlike the Metropole which is how I find my home when looking at skyline shots.)
I think it will be many years before our current heavyweights in those areas disappear. If anything.. in a strange way, the fact that we develop so slowly compared to a city like Toronto where a lot of buildings look the same we could arguably have a nicer blend of concrete communist blocks merging into Miami style condos like Upperwest. Yonge and Eglinton is an interesting location where there is a pile of older buildings... slim, wide, rectangular buildings from the 70s that are all to common place here meshed with a slew of newer towers that are 3x the height. Ottawa definitely has a gentler blend of all types of buildings for better or worse.

1025 Richmond will definitely lose its prominence though, if that big 3 tower dealy goes up next to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion