HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 2:56 PM

Media & Journalism in Ottawa/Gatineau

Long time Sun columnist Sue Sherring has past away.

Quote:
'SHE WILL BE MISSED': Longtime Ottawa Sun columnist Susan Sherring has died

Megan Gillis, Ottawa Sun
Jul 25, 2022

"She was a tough, tenacious, stubborn journalist with a colourful reputation and a keen eye for the shortcomings of politicians."

Tributes poured in Sunday at news of former Ottawa Sun columnist Susan Sherring’s death, with colleagues and competitors paying tribute to both her tenacity at city hall and her warm heart.

Mayor Jim Watson, for one, sent his condolences on Sherring’s sudden passing to her sons, Peter and James Knowlton, family and friends.

“Sue covered all of my campaigns going back to student politics at Carleton University, and she was always tough but fair in her approach to journalism,” Watson said in a statement.

“She will be missed.”

Peter Knowlton, who confirmed Sherring’s death at 63, said funeral arrangements would be announced. The 29-year-old said she was always a supportive mother, volunteering with Nepean minor hockey when her sons were playing and passing on a passion for politics and news at family dinners.

“Her day was obviously about the city, so I, from a young age, was growing up talking about Ottawa city municipal politics,” said Knowlton, a lawyer, who remembered her as encouraging and fun.

Sherring, a Carleton University grad, had long joked that she got Watson’s first quote as a politician while working at The Charlatan as a student.

She didn’t mince words despite their long acquaintance. After returning with a weekly column in 2021, she tackled the “toxic” relationship between Watson and Coun. Diane Deans last October. In September, she contended that Ottawa’s struggling LRT system “hasn’t given us any indication it’s up to the challenge of transporting Ottawans. And we deserve an airing of the issues.”

But another pandemic-era column revealed her warmth for her many readers. Sherring — who loved to host a party — confessed to being “horribly mistaken about my ability to weather the isolation that the pandemic has forced on all of us.”

However, she worried most about the impact on seniors, shut in after a life of hard work, and young peoples’ lost chances to learn life lessons.

“So treat yourself,” Sherring told her readers. “Call a friend. Go for a walk. Talk to a doctor or health-care professional if you’re having difficulty coping.

“Remember that you’re worth it.”

Former Ottawa Sun publisher and local broadcaster Rick Gibbons paid tribute to Sherring as a fellow Day 1 employee at the paper and a key player in its newsroom for a quarter of a century. Sherring took a buyout from new owner Postmedia in 2016.

“She was a tough, tenacious, stubborn journalist with a colourful reputation and a keen eye for the shortcomings of politicians,” Gibbons said. “Woe be the politico who got in her way.

“Her loud, infectious laugh punctuated many a newsroom conversation. She also had a giant heart.”

Postmedia municipal reporter Jon Willing shared the Sun’s windowless office at Ottawa City Hall with Sherring and recalls the “daily education” in beat reporting and local government.

“There are few people in Ottawa with the kind of understanding that Sue had of Ottawa politics,” Willing said.

“She was a tough columnist with the best BS detector in the business. More importantly, she was a proud mother and a caring and thoughtful friend, someone who was always in your corner.”

CBC municipal affairs reporter Joanne Chianello first met Sherring when she started reporting from city hall for the Ottawa Citizen in 2010 and recalls “a force to be reckoned with.

“One of the first things I did every morning was check her Sun column to see what news she had that I had missed, which too often resulted in expletives being muttered in my kitchen,” Chianello said.

Competitors soon became friends, in a moment switching between arguing property tax increases and celebrating a colleague’s wedding.

“Sue was funny and fierce, she cared about fairness and honesty and kindness,” Chianello said.

In 2014, the longtime Barrhaven resident and defender of the city’s growing suburbs took a leave from the Sun to join a crowded field running for city council in Gloucester-South Nepean.

For years, she said, readers had urged her to run.

“I’m hoping, obviously, that people have been reading me in the Sun and that I have struck a note with them, and that they’ll keep an open ear to what I have to say,” Sherring said.

“For the most part, the things I strongly believe in are all in the column.”
https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...5-4cdf68971ef9

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:16 PM

Just found out Adrian Harewood left CBC on June 30 after 16 years. He's moving on to teach at Carleton University's school of journalism and communication.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.6502968

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 8:48 PM

Really sad to see him go. He was one of the great ones, writing informative stories, not speculative non-sense.

Quote:
Jon Willing
@JonathanWilling

Thank you for reading my reporting over the past 16+ years at the #Ottawa Sun/Citizen, first as a crime beat reporter, and over the last 12+ years on the #ottpoli beat.

This was my last day with this amazing newsroom of ace journalists.

1/2
4:06 PM · Aug 19, 2022·TweetDeck
Quote:
Jon Willing
@JonathanWilling

·
Aug 19
Replying to
@JonathanWilling
I’m pretty excited to join Algonquin College as a professor in the journalism program, working with my new colleagues to teach and guide future journalists.

2/2
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 8:50 PM

Over the last two months or so, CBC and Radio-Canada lost their weathercasters, Ian Black and Alain Jean-Marie respectively. Both of them were funny, energetic and positive staples on their respective newscasts.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 9:42 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Over the last two months or so, CBC and Radio-Canada lost their weathercasters, Ian Black and Alain Jean-Marie respectively. Both of them were funny, energetic and positive staples on their respective newscasts.
It's odd how despite never really watching broadcast news or even cable for that matter I know exactly who Ian Black is and can just about see him in my minds eye right now. Prolific.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 7:42 AM
Mooderator

There was something kind of weird about Ian Black. I can't quite put my finger on it, but he seemed... spooky.

Same with the weather guy on City News, John Wilson. Something about those two rub me the wrong way.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
There was something kind of weird about Ian Black. I can't quite put my finger on it, but he seemed... spooky.

Same with the weather guy on City News, John Wilson. Something about those two rub me the wrong way.
Ian Black was definitely an odd duck. Though I did get my hair cut next to him a couple of years back, and he came across as a genuinely nice guy, for what it's worth.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:19 PM

You mean this guy???

Video Link

That was Bob Cowan. He lived around the corner from me growing up. Guy was PURE 90's vibes!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:31 PM

Bob Cowan is still on TV in Hamilton: https://www.chch.com/personalities/bob-cowan/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:10 PM

Bruce Deachman will replace Willing as the Ottawa Citizen/Sun's City columnist.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...a-dedda836fe26

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Bruce Deachman will replace Willing as the Ottawa Citizen/Sun's City columnist.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...a-dedda836fe26
No, he's replacing Kelly Egan:

Introducing the Citizen's very familiar new city columnist

Nicole MacAdam, Ottawa Citizen
Sep 14, 2022 • 8 hours ago • 2 minute read

When city columnist Kelly Egan retired this past June, we knew we had big shoes to fill.

For more than four decades, Kelly had been telling Ottawa’s stories with his trademark wit and insight, providing a voice of reason in chaotic times.

Fortunately, we didn’t have to look very far to find our next great columnist.

I’m excited to announce that Bruce Deachman will be continuing the great tradition of column writing that has been one of the Citizen’s defining strengths.

Regular readers will know Bruce as a dogged and conscientious reporter with a gift for storytelling through both words and photography. His abilities with words and images are regularly featured on our platforms, and his photos were recently featured in an exhibit at Perth’s Concave Gallery.

Officially, Bruce has worked at the Citizen for 18 years, but his connection to the organization as a freelance writer and editor goes much deeper. He’s a terrific colleague, good-humoured and always willing to pitch in. During the darkest days of the pandemic, he lightened up our monthly virtual staff gatherings by playing emcee, once gracing us with a cocktail-making lesson.

But it’s Bruce’s deep connection to the city that makes him an ideal choice for columnist. He is deeply committed to telling our city’s stories, whether it’s shining a spotlight on Indigenous peoples in Ottawa, exploring the devastating opioid crisis, capturing the joy and pride in the LGBTQ community, or speaking with victims of horrific crimes.

Bruce steps into this role at a fascinating time for Ottawa as the city gets ready to choose a new mayor and city council, grapples with the reverberations of the COVID-19 pandemic and the “Freedom Convoy” protests, searches for a new police chief, faces an affordability crisis and the ongoing impact of climate change.

I am immensely excited to read what Bruce thinks on all these topics and more. His first column appears in today’s paper.

Thank you so much for reading.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...city-columnist

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
No, he's replacing Kelly Egan:
That makes more sense based on his introductory article

So who's replacing John Willing?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 11:40 PM

Looks like OBJ is now a subscription only website, unfortunately.

https://obj.ca/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 7:02 PM

Looks like the Sun might have made the leap to subscriptions only.

https://ottawasun.com/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 8:26 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Postmedia to lay off 11% of editorial staff, sources say
Cuts will affect almost all of company's publications, executive says in town hall meeting

The Canadian Press
Posted: Jan 25, 2023 12:19 PM EST | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Sources say newspaper publisher Postmedia Network Corp. is laying off 11 per cent of its editorial staff, less than a week after workers were told the company was grappling with "economic contraction.''

Postmedia, which owns publications including the National Post, Vancouver Sun and Calgary Herald and employs about 650 journalists, announced the layoffs at a town hall Tuesday afternoon.

In an audio recording of the meeting obtained by The Canadian Press, Gerry Nott, acting senior vice-president of editorial content, said the cuts would affect all of the company's publications with the exception of Brunswick News and Postmedia Editorial Services, which have already been downsized.

"There isn't a property in our network that won't be affected by a restructuring, reorganization or layoff,'' he said.

"And to be clear, this is about aligning our cost structure with our revenue stream against ongoing decline in our industry and strong economic headwinds leading up to this difficult decision on staff reduction.''

Postmedia did not respond to a request for comment on the cuts.

The sources asked not to be identified as they were not authorized to publicly speak on the matter or share recordings of the meeting.

The job cuts come days after the company warned staff in a memo that an unspecified number of roles would be eliminated across Postmedia over the coming months through hiring restrictions and layoffs.

At the same time, it announced it was moving a dozen of its Alberta community newspapers to digital-only formats, eyeing more outsourcing deals for printing, laying off workers and selling the home of the Calgary Herald.

The company had also adjusted print deadlines in major markets, made changes to its comics and puzzles and eliminated publishing papers on some days, Nott said Tuesday.

"Had we not made those changes, the number of journalists affected by layoff would be considerably higher,'' he said.

Nott added that the company had yet to identify specific jobs that will be cut and said it is possible that management positions will be affected at a higher or disproportionate rate than non-management roles.

He said he expected to begin having conversations with editors carrying out the reductions in the next 24 hours and urged anyone who felt they couldn't be part of the company's future to talk to union, human resources or editorial representatives about voluntary layoff packages.

Nott also revealed the company was going to move to remote work on a permanent basis, except for markets like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, which he said would return to the office.

He acknowledged the moves would create a "difficult time,'' but said it was "vital'' to find a path through this "extremely turbulent stretch.''

Staff were "totally demoralized and disillusioned'' by Nott's announcement, said Martin O'Hanlon, president of CWA Canada, a union representing some Postmedia workers.

"I always think we've hit rock bottom, and then they always find a new bottom,'' he said. "I just don't know how you can run a successful media company with this level of staffing.''

He added that the cuts only make the fight against disinformation and misinformation harder, are bad for democracy and mean that "Postmedia is now treading water to survive.''

Peg Fong, a journalism instructor at Langara College in Vancouver, said the cuts were "devastating."

"It seems like the cuts at Postmedia have been deeper than in other major media outlets ... It seems there's always some reason that they're wanting to cut reporters, who are the lifeblood of newspapers," she said.

Newspaper conglomerates including Postmedia have long been struggling with dwindling print subscriber numbers, the rise of big tech companies that have eaten into media profits and more advertising moving online from print.

"The unassailable truth is that the print audience is going away, it's a demographic that's not being replaced by another readership audience who consumes news in the same way,'' said Nott on Tuesday.

"It's clear that our advertisers have moved from print to digital. It's clear that in the digital space we're up against some behemoth that make it very competitive and very difficult for us.''

In recent years, Postmedia has coped by closing a number of small-town newspapers, reducing print production of some of its titles and resorting to layoffs and voluntary buyouts to manage costs.

Asked whether Postmedia itself will exist in the coming years, Nott said, "I think there's every reason for hope and that we will exist three to five years from now."

With files from CBC's The Early Edition

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2023-1.6725447

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 8:30 PM

Why keep the Sun and the Citizen. They are basically the same but with some extra questionable reporting on the Sun side. I'm assuming the same for other media outlets.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 2:03 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Why keep the Sun and the Citizen. They are basically the same but with some extra questionable reporting on the Sun side. I'm assuming the same for other media outlets.
I am guessing the Sun girls, if that is still a thing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 2:16 PM

Maybe if they weren’t such right wing trash I’d be willing to subscribe. I really wish there was enough money left in written news to allow for some competition.
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:40 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Maybe if they weren’t such right wing trash I’d be willing to subscribe. I really wish there was enough money left in written news to allow for some competition.
People deserve to have an alternative to the left wing publications that dominates print (online) media.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
People deserve to have an alternative to the left wing publications that dominates print (online) media.
Interesting comment. I find the right has more of a voice than the centre or left these days.

This is a bit dated, but an interesting read. Take it with a grain of salt; but it provokes some thought and provides some information as to who is behind the media companies.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....bias-in-canada

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion