HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do we want to explore possible move?
Yes, we'd like to explore a possible move 30 66.67%
No, we want to stick with what's familiar 6 13.33%
Stick to SSP, but confirm plan B EAA 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanforest View Post
I can’t believe I’m saying this, especially as a zoomer, but I actually much prefer the layout and UI of SSP. This other site looks kind of cheap and cluttered. SSP is objectively not beautiful, but it’s functional (database issues aside) and it has a classic forum charm. The lack of a file system-like (tree?) directory/navigation is also a big minus for me. That said, I’d be a fan of the map and the ability to share images more easily.

Just my 2¢
I'm with ya.....mostly due to inertia and nostalgia, but I also prefer the look of SSP. I guess we will see where things end up naturally.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 12:56 AM

I can get used to a different aesthetic. A couple of great thing about the other forum is that it actually works all day, SSP is becoming unusable. Posting images right in the thread is such a massive timesaver, especially for someone who posts as many images as I do.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 4:44 PM

I think it really hurts participation on this forum how clunky it is to post images. It was a barrier to me starting to contribute. The other one also seems to work better on mobile. That on top of the database problems...I say move.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 7:33 PM

I love what this forum has brought to me but I am so for the move to SkyriseCities. I feel the image posting, map function, and having a central landing page for each project would bring so much value.

Think of how many times someone posts here.. "Hi, new to the forum, couldn't figure out to post a photo but..."

I posted about this exact thing over 2 years ago.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=248623

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 8:20 PM

I am for the move to SkyRise. The page being down and functionality has been an issue. Loved the 2005 forum days, but probably best to move on.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 8:45 PM

Are we able to migrate the chats? or at least the last couple pages worth?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btap View Post
I think it really hurts participation on this forum how clunky it is to post images. It was a barrier to me starting to contribute. The other one also seems to work better on mobile. That on top of the database problems...I say move.
Echoing this as well. SSP is a nightmare to use on mobile and the process for posting photos is so cumbersome that I've mostly stopped posting pictures on here all together (usually will post on the rail fans discord instead since its so much easier).

On skyrise, I like that each project has a summary page that organizes the project renders and a summary of the construction photos so you don't need to scroll back through many pages to see the latest version.

I for one would be down to make the move over and if that ends up being the general group consensus, I would be happy to help out with building out the projects on skyrise.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 12:49 AM

I don't bother trying to post pictures (I wish I could occasionally), and the ads on the mobile version are so annoying that they can block three quarters of the screen and they are popping up constantly.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I don't bother trying to post pictures (I wish I could occasionally), and the ads on the mobile version are so annoying that they can block three quarters of the screen and they are popping up constantly.
Good tip for you : get Firefox mobile browser and install the uBlock Origin add-on. It's a fantastic browser, and I haven't seen an ad on mobile in years. It's kind of life changing

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 4:49 AM

On the image posting side of things, just wanted to throw out there that I’ve been able to save a little bit of trouble by getting ChatGPT to automatically format the links for me. It sounds gimmicky, and it kind of is, but it removes the annoyance of posting multiple images.

I use https://postimages.org/ and then copy the direct links and past into ChatGPT with a pre-existing prompt to add the img bookends.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 3:47 AM

Alright, so when do we make the switch? I don't want to visit two sites but I also don't want to leave too early!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Alright, so when do we make the switch? I don't want to visit two sites but I also don't want to leave too early!
Dzingle Bells and I have been starting to populate it with projects (so far just the latest renders and construction updates). If the mods can be moved over then they can start adding projects to the database and map, which creates the summary page

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Good tip for you : get Firefox mobile browser and install the uBlock Origin add-on. It's a fantastic browser, and I haven't seen an ad on mobile in years. It's kind of life changing
Thanks Harley for the great suggestion.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 10:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
Hi all,

This discussion just came to my attention. I have an option for you to consider. The one BGO mentioned above.

I run UrbanToronto.ca and also SkyriseCities.com. SRC is the world version of UrbanToronto and was launched a few years back.

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/

Calgary and Edmonton are quite active and they are both made up of former members of SSP.

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/forum/

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/forum/

We did create an Ottawa section at the time of launch:

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/forums/ottawa.71/

As you can see it currently isn't really active. But it could be if you want to make the move.

All of our sites are a combination of forum and project database. UrbanToronto currently has about 4,700 projects in the database with threads for each project.

Have a look:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/forums/buildings.5/
https://urbantoronto.ca/map/

We would do the same here. And Mods could easily be transferred over.

Open to talking further (either here or via PM).

Thank you,

Edward
I welcome the opportunty to look at alternative sites which may provide a better experience for those of us who like to share construction development information in our communities with like-minded forum members.

The very first thing I noticed upon visiting a few SkyriseCities pages on my Windows 10 notebook is just how much of each page is devoted to static banners, headers, footers and menus. This clutter greatly reduces the real estate devoted to the actual content I want to read and the photos and schematics I want to see. SSP may be old and outdated, but the content is foremost on my screen and easy to read. It doesn't seem to me that your site is as user-focussed as it could be. I see a need for a usability assessment.

Also, when I tried accessing the main page https://skyrisecities.com/ on my phone (Chrome on Android 14) it simply doesn't load. Only Urban Toronto would launch (https://toronto.skyrisecities.com/). When I clicked on the menu for another city (Calgary, Edmonton, etc) the page launch just fails with an IP address error. This doesn't bode well for a successful user experience.

I could be wrong, but it appears on the surface that SkyriseCities is a proprietary platform, meaning that it won't benefit from open source community updates as time goes on. This isn't an issue if the SysAdmins are skilled and active, but over time data security issues can creep in if they aren't constantly updating all the dependencies in the code, as per software development best-practices.

After perusing the entire site, it seems to me that SkyriseCities is more of a business than a community-run cooperative of enthusiasts, as it offers news coverage, sells services, and appears to generally profit from the community-supplied content. As such I have to wonder how much software development investment is being devoted to improving the experience of the end user, the very people who are populating the site with the content that forms the basis for this business.

Would I jump up and immediately move from SSP (with it's long history of valuable archived content) to start afresh at SkyriseCities? I think I'd need some sort of show of support that it's a better experience that the devil I know at SSP.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 5:27 PM

Hi rocketphish and all.

I'll answer your questions as best as possible.

1. UrbanToronto began in 2002 strictly as a forum. It was essentially a group of people who weren't happy with SSP. While we liked tall buildings we were also very interested in how these buildings related to the urban fabric. Hence the name. The early days were not great from many perspectives. Terrible software (remember ezboard?), poor moderation and so forth. I took over fairly early on and set out to improve things, switching to vBulletin and later to Xenforo which is what we use today. Over time we added the news, databases and map. And later we launched SRC for cities outside Toronto. Calgary and Edmonton were people from SSP that were basically in the same boat you are in now. 

2. Not sure about the issues loading SRC. I have no issues and we have the traffic to prove that it is working just fine in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto. I'm not an expert on browsers, so I'm not sure why Chrome on Android 14 doesn't load. I can ask my tech person.

3. SRC and UT are the same platform. Just branded differently. Everything in the backend is the same. We looked at UrbanCanada or UrbanWorld when we launched SRC but the urls were not available. Hence skyrisecities.com.

4. The software is not proprietary. The backend (news, databases map etc.) is built using Drupal. It is open source. The forum uses Xenforo, which we find to be far superior to vBulletin. We consistently upgrade to new versions as needed.

5. Yes it is a business (as is SSP) but was built by people like me whose roots are here. I understand how SSP works and why it is special. The reality is I took a community like this and greatly expanded it by adding a lot to the user experience. UrbanToronto has 4,700+ projects in our database tracking all projects across the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area. It takes resources to ensure all of this is done.

I understand there is a trade-off especially with the historical posts. But I'm confident that the user experience will be significantly better. And I'm quite open to working with you and J.OT13 or others to ensure everyone is happy with the move.

Open to any further questions (here or via PM) from any of you.

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I welcome the opportunty to look at alternative sites which may provide a better experience for those of us who like to share construction development information in our communities with like-minded forum members.

The very first thing I noticed upon visiting a few SkyriseCities pages on my Windows 10 notebook is just how much of each page is devoted to static banners, headers, footers and menus. This clutter greatly reduces the real estate devoted to the actual content I want to read and the photos and schematics I want to see. SSP may be old and outdated, but the content is foremost on my screen and easy to read. It doesn't seem to me that your site is as user-focussed as it could be. I see a need for a usability assessment.

Also, when I tried accessing the main page https://skyrisecities.com/ on my phone (Chrome on Android 14) it simply doesn't load. Only Urban Toronto would launch (https://toronto.skyrisecities.com/). When I clicked on the menu for another city (Calgary, Edmonton, etc) the page launch just fails with an IP address error. This doesn't bode well for a successful user experience.

I could be wrong, but it appears on the surface that SkyriseCities is a proprietary platform, meaning that it won't benefit from open source community updates as time goes on. This isn't an issue if the SysAdmins are skilled and active, but over time data security issues can creep in if they aren't constantly updating all the dependencies in the code, as per software development best-practices.

After perusing the entire site, it seems to me that SkyriseCities is more of a business than a community-run cooperative of enthusiasts, as it offers news coverage, sells services, and appears to generally profit from the community-supplied content. As such I have to wonder how much software development investment is being devoted to improving the experience of the end user, the very people who are populating the site with the content that forms the basis for this business.

Would I jump up and immediately move from SSP (with it's long history of valuable archived content) to start afresh at SkyriseCities? I think I'd need some sort of show of support that it's a better experience that the devil I know at SSP.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 5:28 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Why not start a poll?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 11:46 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier View Post
Why not start a poll?
I think this would be best moving forward.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 4:56 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

That discord link has expired for me.

I use discord daily so it would be a good resource to have at a bare minimum.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 7:23 PM

Thanks rocketphish for your thoughtful response.

This has been a very engage and active community. Possibly the most active of all Canadian SSP Forums. I do worry that if we move to another site, we might lose a lot of forumers in the transition. In fact, this may already be happening.

The issues with SSP have been minor annoyances for me. Probably not enough for me to pack it up and leave.

We already have a lot of history here. We can go back quite far to find info, even if it's not the easiest. Starting from zero on another site would be a big step.

That's my two cents, but if a majority wants to move, than I would likely do the same.

I'll add a poll. Hopefully I don't get booted out of the forum for encouraging a potential mutiny

Before we vote, I would like to hear more from people with experience on skyrise, and if the grass is truly greener, or if we would just exchange some familiar problems with new problems.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Before we vote, I would like to hear more from people with experience on skyrise, and if the grass is truly greener, or if we would just exchange some familiar problems with new problems.
I can speak to this a bit since I've been testing out Skyrise - these are some of the things I've noticed so far:

Pros

• Modern interface is much easier to navigate
  • Mobile friendly, responsive interface making it much easier to read on smaller devices like phones (no tiny 'next page' buttons and no need to zoom in to read comment)
  • Photos:
    • Much easier to upload photos - no need to host elsewhere and copy into each post. With skyrise you just drag and drop the photo into the post.

• Photos resize automatically in threads, so need to worry about the resolution of your images when sharing (no massive photos that are several times larger than everything else on the page)
    • Gallery view for posts with multiple images

• Building database which is tied to each forum thread. Each building has a summary page that shows the building info, map, project renders and member photos of construction
  • Post times adjust to your time zone (not sure if this is the same for everybody, but SSP displays everything in GMT -8 for me)

Cons
  • Nowhere near the same historical engagement as SSP - I could see this being harder in the short term, but once projects are up and running it might be less of an issue. As a parallel, this has already happened to some extent for the transit projects - much of the conversation has moved over to the rail fans discord and there isn't nearly as much activity on the transit threads here.
  • Migrating projects - certainly would be no small feat, but if a few people are willing to help with this, it might not be too bad.
  • The interactive map view of projects doesn't seem to work for me - maybe Edward can speak to this

To me, there are a lot of benefits to moving, many of which I think would result in more engagement and content shared from the community, but I would understand if people would rather stay on SSP. Curious to see how the poll goes!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion