HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 1:56 PM

aw shoot!

Last edited by McC; Oct 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM. Reason: Help me Mod-i-wan-Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 1:11 AM

I used to live on Bullman Street!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 1:21 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
ooh thanks.. I'll close those and this one.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:48 PM
National Capital Region

recommended for approval - 75 and 77 m, 24-25 fl
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdoc...&itemid=329762

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 11:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Revised renderings (January 2015):

Last edited by rocketphish; Apr 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 11:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Site plan too!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:21 PM

Nothing overly exciting or out of the ordinary but they do look nice. I like the podium and mix of glass, black cladding and wood, should look nice...

Although I thought the desire or demand to live in that part of town (Parkdale/Tunney's) had died down, especially seeing other proposals in that area die in recent year(s)... Would have liked to see this go up Downtown/Centretown instead.. Maybe on the west side to join Gotham? Or around Catherine and Central/SoBa condos.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Nothing overly exciting or out of the ordinary but they do look nice. I like the podium and mix of glass, black cladding and wood, should look nice...

Although I thought the desire or demand to live in that part of town (Parkdale/Tunney's) had died down, especially seeing other proposals in that area die in recent year(s)... Would have liked to see this go up Downtown/Centretown instead.. Maybe on the west side to join Gotham? Or around Catherine and Central/SoBa condos.
This thing won't be launched for another 5-10 years, guaranteed. Proposals are dying left and right in this city. Developers are now pushing for approval of their buildings all over the place so that they're ready to launch once the market picks up again, whenever that might be.

I suspect the next proposals to come up might be Claridge Plaza V-VII and the Claridge parking lot bordered by Albert/Lyon/Queen. I don't see any new proposals coming up for the Catherine Street corridor.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This thing won't be launched for another 5-10 years, guaranteed. Proposals are dying left and right in this city. Developers are now pushing for approval of their buildings all over the place so that they're ready to launch once the market picks up again, whenever that might be.

I suspect the next proposals to come up might be Claridge Plaza V-VII and the Claridge parking lot bordered by Albert/Lyon/Queen. I don't see any new proposals coming up for the Catherine Street corridor.
Please let's not have a Claridge Plaza V-VII...please!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Please let's not have a Claridge Plaza V-VII...please!
You've probably already seen it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208587

It started as all the same height with a different, yet still boring design. They have since modified the heights for more variety and hopefully will reveal a design worthy of Rideau.

Oh, and let's hope for a name other than "Claridge Plaza V-VII".

UPDATE

Always one step ahead, waterloowarrior posted the new design. Better than Claridge Plaza, but still not good.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...7&postcount=75

Last edited by J.OT13; Apr 10, 2015 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 9:00 PM

Thought I should post this. While a grocery store may not have been guaranteed, I think rejecting it because of increased traffic is a poor reason. People can walk here and if driving here is inconvenient, those who could drive and bike because they live beside it will choose that route. Parking and traffic will always be a reason no matter where you put a grocery store, so using that as an excuse to oppose it isn't fair.

We need a grocery store, and if developers can confirm they've got someone then let's get it built. Provide less parking as it's supposed to serve locals, but don't reject a grocery store for this reason.

Quote:
Ottawa Community News

Grocery store a pipe dream for new Parkdale towers, resident says
Ottawa West News
By Emma Jackson

Two high-rise towers have been given the green light at the corner of Parkdale Avenue and Scott Street, but the Hintonburg Community Association is skeptical it will solve the area’s food desert any time soon.

Developer Richcraft Homes got approval at the April 14 planning committee meeting to build two 25-storey buildings with a total of 384 residential units as well as office and commercial space at 250, 266, 268, 272 and 274 Parkdale Ave, 1518 Scott St. and 9, 11, and 13 Bullman St.

Some of that commercial space is zoned to allow a major grocery store chain – something the area desperately needs, according to Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper.

“For many years Hintonburg and especially Mechanicsville were considered food deserts,” Leiper said. That’s been mitigated somewhat with the opening of the Hintonburg Market and the West End Well co-op on Wellington Street West, but access to a range of fresh food at affordable prices is still lacking, he said. “People in the neighbourhood would like to have something that is more of your traditional grocery store.”

But Hintonburg Community Association member Jay Baltz isn’t put all his eggs in that basket.

“Every single proposal that has come through has drawn a grocery store on the ground floor because they know they’re popular,” Baltz said. “That’s just a pretty picture.”

He said major grocery stores rarely feel they have enough parking or customer base to justify opening a store in the bottom of a condo. A total of 174 parking spaces and 144 bicycle parking will be provided underground to serve tower B, which includes plans for the grocery store. Tower A will have 116 parking spaces and 80 bike parking spots.

The bigger issue, Baltz said, is the traffic-generation effect of the towers, which will be 19 storeys higher than the zoning originally allowed.

A traffic study found that peak hour traffic would increase by about 120 vehicles in the morning and 150 vehicles in the afternoon – acceptable for all traffic lights in the area, except for Parkdale and Scott, which will get a new left-hand turn lane northbound on Parkdale to help it operate better.

Baltz said the intersection is already so bad it’s going to be hard to fix.

Not to mention, traffic studies are often done in isolation, he said.

“When they have approved 20 big towers in one area, there has to be an acknowledgement that all 20 are going to have an impact,” he said.

Leiper agreed the traffic will be a major concern moving forward, even though he doesn’t expect the buildings to break ground until after the light-rail transit system is finished in 2018.

“There are legitimate concerns around the impact of traffic,” he said. The Parkdale and Scott intersection is already considered failed, Leiper noted. “It’s just not going to make it more failed.”

COMMUNITY BENEFITS

The development will generate $1.3 million in Section 37 community benefits, which will be used to relocate hydro poles in the area, inject up to $200,000 into the Rosemount library branch improvements and provide affordable housing units inside the development.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 1:16 AM

Who rejected anything?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 1:31 PM

Is that wasted space on top of the podium in Tower B? Or do they plan on having some type of amenities there (ie. green roof/condo gardens, bbq area, jogging track, hot tubs, etc)?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
You've probably already seen it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208587

It started as all the same height with a different, yet still boring design. They have since modified the heights for more variety and hopefully will reveal a design worthy of Rideau.

Oh, and let's hope for a name other than "Claridge Plaza V-VII".

UPDATE

Always one step ahead, waterloowarrior posted the new design. Better than Claridge Plaza, but still not good.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...7&postcount=75
I like what I see..especially the Rideau side. Much improved over 1&2.

and it will have a hotel?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Is that wasted space on top of the podium in Tower B? Or do they plan on having some type of amenities there (ie. green roof/condo gardens, bbq area, jogging track, hot tubs, etc)?
Landscaped roof as per the revised architectural plans.

*too lazy to post a screenshot.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Who rejected anything?
I think it was just to say that every proposal has drawn a grocery store, but none have opened.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:07 PM

yes, that's exactly what Jay Baltz said; and why I didn't understand defishel's comment.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:47 AM
National Capital Region

Demolition Control
Review Status :
Community "Heads Up" - Completed
Status Date :
August 10, 2015
Description :
The purpose of this application is to permit the demolition of the four residential units at 250, 252, and 254 Parkdale Avenue and 1518 Scott Street, when no building permit for replacement has been issued. The dwellings are to be replaced by a temporary sales centre for another development proposed by Richcraft at 159, 163, and 167 Parkdale.
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0SPULB

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 12:13 AM

Demolition underway! Is this project moving forward or will it be a giant surface parking lot for Tunneys?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:04 PM

According to a guy with Richcraft I talked to at the Sky site this will most likely be Richcrafts next project to move foward. No timeline given.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa