HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 4:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Target, 1021 St. Laurent Bvld | ?m | 1 fl | U/C

Site Plan Control: Demolish a portion of a 1-storey commercial building (previously occupied by Zellers and other tenants) and replace it with a 2-storey large format retail store (Target).

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8E1X2I

It looks like the footprint has been enlarged considerably, and it has changed from a 2-story building to a 1-story building, since the original application was made. It was a nice edgier design, but now it's just blech, just like the crap it's replacing.

Original siteplan:

New siteplan:

Original front renderings:

New front renderings:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 2:06 PM

Not really surprising. The two story version would have been by far the biggest Target store in the area, and having walked though others and looked at stock levels etc.. I can not imagine what they would use the added space for.

Also their sales numbers are not overly high.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:45 PM

The brown brick has got to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Not really surprising. The two story version would have been by far the biggest Target store in the area, and having walked though others and looked at stock levels etc.. I can not imagine what they would use the added space for.

Also their sales numbers are not overly high.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 10:19 PM

The 2 story version looked WAY better.

The new huge 1 story building is ugly as a brown-brick hell.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 1:21 AM
Living With My Mother

Joanisse IGA and K-mart used to be at that location with a Radio Shack in between.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 12:46 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The parking lot has been fenced-off and the construction materials have started arriving. It's time to put lipstick on this pig!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 5:48 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

a 2 floor Target.... They can't even fill the small mall stores they have now, what on earth would a 2 floor Target in Vanier carry!! Very puzzled. They've had low inventory since Day 1.... Nothing special. I'll give it to them that they are WAYYY cleaner then Zellers ever was (past 10 years), but then again, that wasn't a hard feat to do.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_junkie1 View Post
a 2 floor Target.... They can't even fill the small mall stores they have now, what on earth would a 2 floor Target in Vanier carry!! Very puzzled. They've had low inventory since Day 1.... Nothing special. I'll give it to them that they are WAYYY cleaner then Zellers ever was (past 10 years), but then again, that wasn't a hard feat to do.
Did they not change it to 1 floor now?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
Did they not change it to 1 floor now?
Correct.

Originally they were going to tear down and build the two story store.

They are now going to renovate using the old Zeller's, the small retail stores to the left of it and build a small addition in the space to the right of it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 9:30 PM

It's a bad location anyway.
St Laurent Mall would have been a much better choice.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:28 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_junkie1 View Post
It's not 2 stories anymore, nor is it in Vanier. According to Google, this area is known as Cummings.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 12:45 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

oh well... thats a shame. the 2 floor "look" was nicer, but then again, regardless of its size, it'll be "empty" anyways. every target i've seen has had "stock" problems. come on guys.... its "outskirts" of vanier, but still in a way vanier. i've never heard anyone call that area "cummings"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
It's not 2 stories anymore, nor is it in Vanier. According to Google, this area is known as Cummings.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Press Release

Target to Continue Canadian Expansion in 2014

Retailer announces nine new stores will be added this year

MISSISSAUGA • January 29, 2014

Target announced today that it will continue its Canadian expansion in 2014 by adding another nine store locations to the 124 Target stores now open in all ten provinces. The majority of the new stores will open in Ontario, with single store additions planned for Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta and B.C.

“The past year marked a major milestone for Target as we delivered on the unprecedented goal of opening 124 Target stores across ten provinces in 2013,” said Tony Fisher, president, Target Canada. “As we head into 2014, we will continue to enhance the guest experience at all stores, while continuing to expand our presence in new Canadian neighbourhoods.”

The new Target stores that will open in 2014 include:

Spring 2014:

The Stockyards, Toronto, Ontario
Kingsway Mall, Edmonton, Alberta
Hillside Centre, Victoria, British Columbia

Summer 2014

Erin Mills Town Centre, Mississauga, Ontario
Park Place, Barrie, Ontario
Carrefour Candiac, Candiac, Quebec

Fall 2014:

St. Laurent, Ottawa, Ontario
Sheridan Centre, Mississauga, Ontario
Polo Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Target provides Canadian guests with a one-stop shopping destination for stylish, quality products at unbeatable prices, including beauty, apparel and accessories, home, grocery, personal care and more. Each store carries an extensive range of Target owned and exclusive brands, including C9 by Champion, Circo, Cherokee, Merona, Mossimo Supply Co., Mossimo Black, Xhiliration, Thershold, Room Essentials, Pixi, Archer Farms, Market Pantry and up & up; exclusive, limited time collaborations and ongoing collaborations such as the Nate Berkus Collection, the Sonia Kashuk Collection, Liz Lange Maternity for Target and Giada De Laurentiis for Target. Target also offers local products specific to each market, including the Aliments du Quebec product offering in Quebec.

Target Canada is proud to employ an average of 150 team members at each of its Canadian locations, including the nine additional stores announced today. For more information on store locations, please visit target.ca.

About Target

Minneapolis-based Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) serves guests at 1,921 stores – 1,797 in the United States and 124 in Canada – and at Target.com. Since 1946, Target has given 5 percent of its profit through community grants and programs; today, that giving equals more than $4 million a week. For more information about Target’s commitment to corporate responsibility, visit Target.com/corporateresponsibility.

http://pressroom.target.ca/news/targ...ansion-in-2014

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 8:27 PM

I've heard nothing but complaints about that place. Why are they still expanding? Seems to me companies should test the market with a few stores before rolling out the red carpet for over 100.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 8:37 PM

Never been in a Target, don't plan on it.

I haven't talked to a single person who has walked into one of these stores and wasn't immediately turned off, never to return. In fact, some said *their* Target looked like it was going out of business.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:14 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

It won't be long now. The building and parking lot are complete, and they are busy inside setting up.

Photo by me. Oct. 7, 2014

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:37 AM

so close....

It would have been nice to have this as a smaller footprint two-floor Target.
Will the Bayshore Target be the largest square-footage Target in Ottawa upon completion?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 1:03 PM

I believe this store opened today, albeit with not a ton of fan fare.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
I believe this store opened today, albeit with not a ton of fan fare.
Yep. I got a flyer a couple days ago indicating the store is open.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:21 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Target opens on St.Laurent

OBJ Staff, Published on October 17, 2014

The new Target store opened on St.Laurent Boulevard Friday, one of three to open the same day. The stores are the last ones the Minnesota-based retailer will open in Canada this year.

"The opening of these three stores marks another important milestone for Target Canada," Target Canada president Mark Schindele said in a statement. "As we head into the holiday season, we're thrilled to offer our guests additional locations to find exclusive merchandise, great value and a unique shopping experience."

The other stores opened in Mississauga and Winnipeg, giving Target 133 stores across the country.

All three stores feature a Starbucks and instore pharmacy.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Retail/2014-...n-St.Laurent/1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa