HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
This development is across the street from the Irving corner. This is the piece of land beside the new Lawtons that used to be "Action Realty". During the meeting it was discussed it would either be a drive through or a small (3 unit) strip mall. Across the street is still planned to be a new Kents as far as I know.
Ahhh that clears it up a lot. Suddenly I like this a lot more!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
I actually happned to be at the PAC meeting where this was discussed as they were also discussing the possible expansion of my neighborhood.

This development is across the street from the Irving corner. This is the piece of land beside the new Lawtons that used to be "Action Realty". During the meeting it was discussed it would either be a drive through or a small (3 unit) strip mall. Across the street is still planned to be a new Kents as far as I know.
Lost opportunity on both corners. They should both be mixed-use development and facing the street with small setbacks, not facing inward toward parking lots.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Lost opportunity on both corners. They should both be mixed-use development and facing the street with small setbacks, not facing inward toward parking lots.

The proposal I saw for the Action Realty lot was street facing and I would imagine Kents will also be street facing.

As far as mixed use, I think we need to be realistic, this is not Toronto. We are lucky enough to have the downtown core that we do in New Brunswick. To expect the same congestion on the West side is not going to happen. There is too much cheap land on the West side and people would rather not live on that busy corner.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:47 PM

I disagree, I think the demand could be there for more of a mixed development. It's a busy street now partially because of the sprawl of the West Side, if we don't start building residential areas closer to the amenities, it will only get busier. A great many retail stores have condos or apartments above, even if it's just one or two floors, it's a design that is common across the continent. Saint John is very far behind in that regard because we don't expect anything more than a single-use on any given property.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 1:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I disagree, I think the demand could be there for more of a mixed development. It's a busy street now partially because of the sprawl of the West Side, if we don't start building residential areas closer to the amenities, it will only get busier. A great many retail stores have condos or apartments above, even if it's just one or two floors, it's a design that is common across the continent. Saint John is very far behind in that regard because we don't expect anything more than a single-use on any given property.
I think there's a difference between living on a busy street in a downtown area and living on a busy street in a box-store area. There's a four-lane intersection going in all directions on your front door-step, and you'd be the only people living on that intersection, and that just doesn't seem enticing to me, and to other people too, i'd imagine.

The Kent property could definitely be mixed-use if they weren't going for the sprawly Kent's plan, but have fun trying to tell them what to do.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:

I think GregHickman is spot on, this is not a desirable residential corner. This is a busy big box intersection. The West Side is basically the suburbs within city limits.

Saint John has significant mixed use buildings in the uptown area and is far ahead of other cities in this REGION. We are never going to have similar density to large urban areas. We don't have the same commuting issues, the same 24 hour amenities, etc.. As a result less people want to live in urban settings than in those large urban areas like Toronto.

If you look at our region, we have one of the best downtown core's and it is currently experiencing some of the best growth in the region with a number of significant projects.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:45 PM

First four Target stores announced for the Maritimes includes Saint John.

Quote:
New Brunswick
• McAllister Place, Saint John
http://business.financialpost.com/20...nadian-stores/

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

My wife will be happy, haha. Will be interesting if the Canadian version is as good as the US counterpart.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

Wow, only 1 NB location for now. I'm surprised. Maybe other locations will be included in Phase 2.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuser23 View Post
Wow, only 1 NB location for now. I'm surprised. Maybe other locations will be included in Phase 2.
I'm pretty sure that Moncton and Fredericton will get their Target stores too. And like you said, this was only the first store announcement for Target here...more are definitely on the way.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 9:51 AM

Blockbuster Lancaster Mall is one of the 146 under performing stores that will be closed in bankruptcy consolidation. Eventually I see all video stores going the way of "Sam the Record Man" - media is all digital now and the new generation of consumers want it instantly.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Blockbuster Lancaster Mall is one of the 146 under performing stores that will be closed in bankruptcy consolidation. Eventually I see all video stores going the way of "Sam the Record Man" - media is all digital now and the new generation of consumers want it instantly.
Agreed, 100%. I have been on NetFlix for almost a year now and love it. I cant remember the last time I rented a movie from Blockbuster.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
I'm pretty sure that Moncton and Fredericton will get their Target stores too. And like you said, this was only the first store announcement for Target here...more are definitely on the way.
Reading the newspaper this morning it appears that Saint John was chosen first as we have the largest retail sector in the province.

This is just further validation how far the SJ retail sector has come in the last few years to now lead the province. It is especially impressive considering how close the US market is to SJ.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 12:33 PM

Location: The greatest little city in the east -- Saint John, NB
Speaking of Saint John's booming retail sector, I was driving through the intersection of McAllister and Westmorland yesterday and noticed that there was a lot of construction activity happening on the vacant corner (opposite the Scotiabank) that has been for sale for a number of years. I also noticed that the for sale sign was gone and replaced with a bulldozer and excavator digging a pretty big hole. I don't think it would be a stretch to assume the property has been sold and somebody is building something on it?

Any rumours or facts floating around about this site?

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwright View Post
Speaking of Saint John's booming retail sector, I was driving through the intersection of McAllister and Westmorland yesterday and noticed that there was a lot of construction activity happening on the vacant corner (opposite the Scotiabank) that has been for sale for a number of years. I also noticed that the for sale sign was gone and replaced with a bulldozer and excavator digging a pretty big hole. I don't think it would be a stretch to assume the property has been sold and somebody is building something on it?

Any rumours or facts floating around about this site?

I have not head anything, but I assume it must be something substantial as that land would not be cheap. The WalMart SuperCenter is going further up McAllister Drive.

Just speculating but maybe a Lowes.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 1:42 PM

Last time I seen the property info online (Bout 6 months ago) It was something like 1.1 million for the land.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Reading the newspaper this morning it appears that Saint John was chosen first as we have the largest retail sector in the province.

This is just further validation how far the SJ retail sector has come in the last few years to now lead the province. It is especially impressive considering how close the US market is to SJ.
I think you may have misread this.....the reference to which you refer was made by the Chairman of Enterprise Saint John and not from Target.

"Tony Goguen, chairman of Enterprise Saint John, said the store will be fantastic for Saint John. He said it will not only offer choice to Saint Johners, but proves the confidence mega corporations have in the city's retail sector.

He said Saint John has the largest retail sector by dollar volume of any city in the province."

Full article here from the TJ...http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1410051

I suspect when all is said and done that both Freddy and Moncton will end up with new stores as the current Zellers do not meet their needs. Bayers Lake in Halifax and Sydney will have one as well.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 3:37 AM
ハルウララ

re: Target.

Their selection of locations was based on general market size and the possibility of a quick renovation from a Zellers to a Target. Just because Saint John was chosen first does not mean that it is a better market for a Target than Moncton, it just means that it was easier to have on in Saint John first thing.

Saint John is a great market for retail, but to imply that it is better than Moncton would be questionable to say the least.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 4:55 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post

Their selection of locations was based on general market size and the possibility of a quick renovation from a Zellers to a Target. Just because Saint John was chosen first does not mean that it is a better market for a Target than Moncton, it just means that it was easier to have on in Saint John first thing.

Saint John is a great market for retail, but to imply that it is better than Moncton would be questionable to say the least.
I think the Moncton market is a bit over saturated at the moment.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post

I am not sure what you mean by better, I am simply going with the facts that the Saint John retail sector is the largest in the province.

A large corporation like Target makes decisions with one factor in mind, profits for shareholders. They simply chose what they felt was the priority market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces