HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Having to deal with winter is also something that can produce similarities at first sight. I'm pretty sure it's a factor.

However, if you took a Québécois, a Frenchman, and a Swede, and started questioning them on all sorts of things, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get the Québécois-Swede pair as the one that most stands out as similar, out of all possible pairings.

Unless the questions are really poorly designed and focus on things like wearing a winter coat, gloves, and tuque (surely the English word for that can't merely be "hat"? I'm at a loss there), playing hockey, and shoveling snow occasionally.
It's the same in Canadian English. Toque/tuque. I think Americans call it a beanie or something to that effect.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
It's the same in Canadian English. Toque/tuque. I think Americans call it a beanie or something to that effect.
Cracks me up to do this after this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
More like narcissism of small differences syndrome, or maybe 'special snowflake' syndrome if you're feeling kind.

"Place X" is better than "Place Y" because of "insert trivial detail here".

This forum would be a textbook case study.

Not picking on Saskatchewan by the way - loved it when I visited!
But it's not toque everywhere:

Hat or stocking cap here.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Newfies are weird. Everybody knows this.

But they have a great sense of humor and are good folks to party with, so I guess we can let you guys stay.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Newfies are weird. Everybody knows this.

But they have a great sense of humor and are good folks to party with, so I guess we can let you guys stay.
And "narcissism of minor differences" doesn't apply to them! The differences are real in their case!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Interestingly, I was in Portland last week and once of the places I stopped at sold said hats, which were indeed labelled as "touques". Dunno if they purposely being exotic or what, but I was kind of surprised.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure if it means anything conclusively but "Taco Time" which was founded in Alberta does have a few locations in Ontario.

Probably no more than the fact that the Pacini restaurant chain has no locations outside Quebec doesn't mean that people outside the province have no interest in Italian cuisine, and that we in Quebec are the kings of all things Italian...

Saskatchewan exceptionalism... whoda thunk it?
People on this forum are now starting to post erroneous statements.

everyone please verify what you post is true and factual or people are just going to think you are making things up with all the next posts you submit..

Quote:
Taco Time is an American fast-food restaurant chain specializing in Mexican food. The chain offers dine-in, take-out, and drive through at over 300 locations. The chain was founded in Eugene, Oregon, United States, in 1959
Taco Time has since expanded, now holding more than 300 franchises in the United States, Canada, Kuwait, and Curaçao/Netherlands Antilles. During the 1990s, there were also multiple locations in Greece
In 2003, the company was bought by Kahala Brands of Scottsdale, Arizona.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco_Time

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:26 PM

First of all I swear I've seen a "Taco Time" in Ajax, ON. Secondly do you have anything else to back up your original statement other than the Taco Time stat? It appears it is the dominate shitty taco chain there, but here the dominate shitty taco chain is Taco Bell soooooo? Also Mucho Burrito is everywhere amongst various other chains and independents. Basically your Taco Time stat is meaningless if that's all you're comparing.

Also I watched that video from that band and half the thing was shot in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 11:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

My reference to Taco Time being from Alberta comes from the link SaskScraper himself provided. I guess it was just the first one in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:38 AM

I think we can safely assert that Alberta is the birthplace of tex-mex in Canada then. It's hard to argue against the first Taco Time.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:14 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Eugene OR as the tex-mex mecca south of the border sure was an eye-opener for me!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
again, Saskatchewan has a counter culture that sort of flies in the face of the rest of Canada. Bluegrass/Appalachia American roots music such as The Dead South is completely counter culture to what is media approved from the music establishment based in Toronto and therefore gets zero media coverage outside the province (although Zach Wilson won a Western Canadian Music Award for Video Director this last weekend in Edmonton for the 25 Million youtube viewed The Dead South song "In Hell I'll Be In Good Company"). The Dead South has a habit of selling out all their concerts in Germany Denmark etc. though
TBH, some of the country's best country/bluegrass-inspired bands are from Toronto: The Sadies, 100 Dollars, The Wooden Sky, and so on.

As far back as the 60s there was Ian and Sylvia in Yorkville, in the 80s it was Handsome Ned at the Cameron House on Queen West. Today, the hipsters have moved on to Ossington Avenue, where the Dakota Tavern's bluegrass brunch is a weekend fixture. Toronto has an extremely diverse musical culture, and there's a strong argument to be made that it has the best roots/americana music scene in the country. The Horseshoe Tavern might be the best country-themed bar in Canada. When I lived there I would often catch amazing bluegrass players at The Local on Roncesvalles.

Country and roots music isn't "counterculture" to Toronto, or central Canada, in the slightest.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

But it's not toque everywhere:

Man, it's just hard to believe that it's actually called stocking cap. Reminds me of bunny hug or chesterfield.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
TBH, some of the country's best country/bluegrass-inspired bands are from Toronto: The Sadies, 100 Dollars, The Wooden Sky, and so on.

As far back as the 60s there was Ian and Sylvia in Yorkville, in the 80s it was Handsome Ned at the Cameron House on Queen West. Today, the hipsters have moved on to Ossington Avenue, where the Dakota Tavern's bluegrass brunch is a weekend fixture. Toronto has an extremely diverse musical culture, and there's a strong argument to be made that it has the best roots/americana music scene in the country. The Horseshoe Tavern might be the best country-themed bar in Canada. When I lived there I would often catch amazing bluegrass players at The Local on Roncesvalles.

Country and roots music isn't "counterculture" to Toronto, or central Canada, in the slightest.
We have to be really really careful about how much we water down country/rock music so that we can say that a square peg fits a round hole. The 3 Toronto's bands you mentioned, as close to Bluegrass/Appalachia as it gets in that city, really aren't Bluegrass/Appalachia at all.

here's a Finnish group that fits the genre slightly better than your examples.

https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc?t=13

Again, as I said, music that i'm talking about is completely counter culture to what is media approved from the Canadian music establishment based in Toronto.
When music artists from Saskatchewan want to get signed, they go straight to where their music will get objectively viewed and approved, they go to a foreign country & straight to Nashville.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
Man, it's just hard to believe that it's actually called stocking cap. Reminds me of bunny hug or chesterfield.
The female demographic of Saskatchewan most often uses the term 'bunnyhug' for single pocket pull-over hoodies.

https://www.amazon.com/Russell-Athletic-Boys-Fleece-Pullover/dp/B00NOMTYT4

I wonder if Newfoundlanders call this wearing a toque?

https://w1nnersclub.com/unemployed/bank-robber/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
We have to be really really careful about how much we water down country/rock music so that we can say that a square peg fits a round hole. The 3 Toronto's bands you mentioned, as close to Bluegrass/Appalachia as it gets in that city, really aren't Bluegrass/Appalachia at all.

here's a Finnish group that fits the genre slightly better than your examples.

https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc?t=13

Again, as I said, music that i'm talking about is completely counter culture to what is media approved from the Canadian music establishment based in Toronto.
When music artists from Saskatchewan want to get signed, they go straight to where their music will get objectively viewed and approved, they go to a foreign country & straight to Nashville.
I think you're probably overstating just a bit how revolutionary this is.

Bluegrass, country and western and all that genre of music isn't exactly "counter-culture" in North America.

So they go to Nashville... which is in another country but about a similar length drive as Toronto is.

Nashville is the centre of that musical genre for the entire world. Even Australians go there to make it.

How about Saskatchewan producing tons of klezmer bands? Or Indian sitar bands? Now that would be counter-culture for this part of the world.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:32 PM

^^

what difference does it make how similar length of time to drive to Nashville or Toronto from Saskatchewan, Toronto music establishment wouldn't have a clue what to do with Bluegrass/rockabilly music.

Sitar in Saskatchewan? ..if only you had a clue..

http://thestarphoenix.com/entertainm...orld-back-home

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you're probably overstating just a bit how revolutionary this is.

Bluegrass, country and western and all that genre of music isn't exactly "counter-culture" in North America.

So they go to Nashville... which is in another country but about a similar length drive as Toronto is.

Nashville is the centre of that musical genre for the entire world. Even Australians go there to make it.

How about Saskatchewan producing tons of klezmer bands? Or Indian sitar bands? Now that would be counter-culture for this part of the world.
This is like the hipster thing of "I know more indie bands than you", but at a provincial level.

I'm sure that despite being an Ontario boy, I would not struggle or be utterly lost if I had to move to Saskatchewan. In fact, I'd bet I'd live somewhere similar, have a reasonably similar climate, speak a similar language, like similar things and hold a similar job. It's not like Saskatchewan is as foreign as inner Mongolia.

Like I said, narcissism of small differences, with a hint of cultural superiority.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:44 PM

..I'm not saying Saskatchewan is like Mongolia or is superior to anywhere else in Canada, just that there is more than what meets the eye (and that Saskatchewan would probably surprise the pants off of some forumers on here)

since my first post on this thread yesterday, I've gotten nothing but down-playing of my statements and belittling my posts, whether it be about food or music or sports, and only because I'm from Saskatchewan.

I think that makes another thing that is completely counter culture to the rest of the country is that other Canadians feel the need to trivialize Saskatchewan like no other province.

thanks again for proving my point of Saskatchewan's counter culture to Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^^

what difference does it make how similar length of time to drive to Nashville or Toronto from Saskatchewan, Toronto music establishment wouldn't have a clue what to do with Bluegrass/rockabilly music.
Yes, I'm sure they'd freak out at the sight and sound of a Saskatchewan bluegrass/rockabilly band in Toronto.

OMG it's so alien!

People in Toronto of course wouldn't be exposed or open to anything culturally different. Living as they do in one of the world's most diverse cities...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:46 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that a knit cap in Canadian English is a "tuque" (or, at a stretch, a "touque")? To me, a "toque" is pronounced "toke" and is the name of a chef's hat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada