HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 12:32 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Do they run on rubber wheels? What's up with that, by the way?
Makes pratically no noise when entering/exiting the stations.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Even better when they look like this:

Boopitybop
by Fob Rord [imnotbanksy], on Flickr
You are such a rebel

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 1:08 PM
More transit please

^ kinda gives a Gotham City feel to it

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 1:54 PM

Kinda gives a shit hole no respect feel to it.

Sorry, but tagging trains is horrid to public transit.

I love how clean the transit system is in Japan. It gives a real sense of civic pride and comfortable accessibility to all.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 2:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love the tagged trains. I just love it. Not joking or being sarcastic. It's beautiful to me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 2:28 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

I think he was being sarcastic , but if he wasnt ....

Best liveries:

1) Vancouver (like the sky train but the buses are just okay)
2) Ottawa (like the double deckers and confer line train)
3) Toronto (like the new streetcars, buses and GO transit. The new subway cars are okay but could be more colourful/sleek like London)
4) Montreal (like the new subway trains, not the buses though)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I love the tagged trains. I just love it. Not joking or being sarcastic. It's beautiful to me.
I always find people from small towns have this romantic view of big city vandalism.

Bottom line, it is not ok. Unless you own the surface or have permission to use the surface from the governing body, it is vandalism.

And where do you stop the tagging? If you let it continue soon everything is tagged, including windows, maps, and way finder systems, not to mention safety and emergency systems (I have seen this happen in areas where tagging is allowed to go unchecked).

It is also highly subjective if it is beautiful as well.

Public transit is for the public in general, and many people will be turned away from transit if such graffiti is present. It creates a sense of lawlessness and lack of security. In other words, it makes transit feel unsafe for many potential riders. It also shows a lack of care and civic pride.

One of skytrain's best benefits is it is kept fairly clean (especially for a North American standard).

Cleanliness and manners are very important for creating a welcoming, safe, encouraging, and healthy transit system.

I am sure you would not enjoy someone going around and tagging all the house fronts in your neighborhood. Many people have similar such pride in their transit systems, and wish to keep them clean.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:03 PM

Well since this turned into "this is my hometowns..." I will post Cobourg.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I always find people from small towns have this romantic view of big city vandalism.

Bottom line, it is not ok. Unless you own the surface or have permission to use the surface from the governing body, it is vandalism.

And where do you stop the tagging? If you let it continue soon everything is tagged, including windows, maps, and way finder systems, not to mention safety and emergency systems (I have seen this happen in areas where tagging is allowed to go unchecked).

It is also highly subjective if it is beautiful as well.

Public transit is for the public in general, and many people will be turned away from transit if such graffiti is present. It creates a sense of lawlessness and lack of security. In other words, it makes transit feel unsafe for many potential riders. It also shows a lack of care and civic pride.

One of skytrain's best benefits is it is kept fairly clean (especially for a North American standard).

Cleanliness and manners are very important for creating a welcoming, safe, encouraging, and healthy transit system.

I am sure you would not enjoy someone going around and tagging all the house fronts in your neighborhood. Many people have similar such pride in their transit systems, and wish to keep them clean.
I understand - but I love things being tagged here too. The only type I hate is if it's just a boring name spraypainted in black. If there's colour, I love it.

This is what the graffiti here looks like (not to be confused with our approved murals, which often look quite similar, ):

(I just mean to say it's not completely foreign to me, tagging and all that. Not saying we're not a small town, we are from your and most world perspectives - but it's not postcard perfect. It's not a resort town or anything.)

I love everything about it. If we could put that stuff on our buses, I'd be golden.

Transit is a great place for grit, especially in cities that are pretty.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
Montreal's new subway cars.

Looks like an LRT...which would be fine if it was one. Much prefer the old, and more appropriate, metro trains.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That Mercedes doesn't fit in with the ambience unless it belongs to a pimp or a pusher.

Sorry Signal, but I agree with Metro-one on this one. Tagging is vandalism period, and does create an impression of lawlessness and insecurity in a neighbourhood. It needs to be eradicated.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I disregard your opinion because St. John's is covered with "HUB CITY!" grafitti from Monctonians (Monctonites? Monctogonians? Octagons?), and am holding you personally responsible for it.

(That's actually the downtown BMO's parking lot. It's an alley that connects McBride's Hill with pedestrian-only McMurdo's Lane.)

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 4:43 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I think he was being sarcastic , but if he wasnt ....

Half sarcastic. It's hard to defend as being something positive that we should strive for, something to the benefit of the common good; but I personally do appreciate graffiti on trains, and in general of course (where appropriate...with the exception of trains). It's colourul, organic, and adds ephemeral, personalized texture and layers to the cityscape.

That, and I've been on a bit of a "New York in the 70s & 80s" movie kick lately. Taxi Driver, The Warriors, Style Wars, etc.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Looks like an LRT...which would be fine if it was one. Much prefer the old, and more appropriate, metro trains.
More appropriate ?!?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 5:57 PM

A couple of years into my time at Guelph, they bought a bunch of new buses and introduced a new livery, which I've always liked. Nice colour scheme.

For reference, this is what Guelph had previously:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:17 PM
Hammer'd

To go back to the topic of those tagged up TTC trains: if I recall correctly, they were retired trains parked in the dead line which never went into public service like that. It's very, very rare that the TTC would allow a subway train to go into revenue service with any sort of graffiti on the outside, unlike New York of the '70s and '80s. They keep them pretty damn clean, inside and out, especially the Toronto Rocket trains.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:33 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

The TTC's policy is to not run tagged trains, so unless they get bombed while waiting in a station you won't see them in service, but they can still sometimes be seen in the train yards.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
That, and I've been on a bit of a "New York in the 70s & 80s" movie kick lately. Taxi Driver, The Warriors, Style Wars, etc.
Those are accurate reference points for my impression of Toronto's subway system when I spent a couple months there earlier this year, although I guess we disagree on whether that's a good thing. A lot of it felt run-down and utilitarian. At least on one line the recorded woman's voice sounds like she has a cold and is annoyed.

The street cars are nice enough, but often seemed to be overcrowded or to 'short turn.'

There are some promising elements to Toronto's system - maybe those could be built upon with a more public transit-friendly mayor or council.

For example, I really like the font for your subway, although agree with the former official who described some stations as "early Canadian washroom architecture.”

http://joeclark.org/appearances/atyp...TTC/inscribed/

Montreal's and Vancouver's new trains look good.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 7:03 PM
I am a typical

Washroom architecture? Please. Washrooms have nowhere near as many leaks as a TTC station.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM

STO in Gatineau, Qc has recently rebranded their bus system with the opening of the RapiBus fail system.

Old Logo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...u_STO_logo.png

Old buses and paint jobs. Pictures taken on Rideau Street, Ottawa.

http://www.michaeltaylor.ca/bus/sto/9118a.html

http://www.michaeltaylor.ca/bus/sto/7901.html

New logo and buses and paint job

http://www.rapibus.sto.ca/index.php?id=208

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada