HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:55 PM

New York City

Spent a couple days there last week. Amazing how many streets by themselves outdo all of Sacramento in terms of the number and height of high rises. All pics taken with my Evo.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 8:56 PM

Good shots. I haven't been to New York in over a year. Haha, actually met one of my neighbors for the first time when he sat down next to me on the flight.

That second to last picture is strange. Except for the lower left hand corner, the reflections of the clouds match up almost flawlessly with the actual clouds behind the building.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Good shots. I haven't been to New York in over a year. Haha, actually met one of my neighbors for the first time when he sat down next to me on the flight.

That second to last picture is strange. Except for the lower left hand corner, the reflections of the clouds match up almost flawlessly with the actual clouds behind the building.
That's the new 7 World Trade Center. I really like how that pic turned out. Funny story about that picture too. I really had to go to the restroom about then and couldn't find a public restroom any where. So I followed this family that was going inside. They told security they were going to something called The River and I just sorta tagged along, and security didn't give me a second look. Keep in mind this building is a remake of one destroyed on 9/11. So anyway, turns out The River is a church that meets on the 40th floor, which is where I found a nice, air conditioned restroom to use. Then I went back to the ground floor and left.

The last pic is out the window from the 40th floor.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat? View Post
That's the new 7 World Trade Center. I really like how that pic turned out. Funny story about that picture too. I really had to go to the restroom about then and couldn't find a public restroom any where. So I followed this family that was going inside. They told security they were going to something called The River and I just sorta tagged along, and security didn't give me a second look. Keep in mind this building is a remake of one destroyed on 9/11. So anyway, turns out The River is a church that meets on the 40th floor, which is where I found a nice, air conditioned restroom to use. Then I went back to the ground floor and left.

The last pic is out the window from the 40th floor.
Haha, you don't need to tell me about the WTC, I've been there myself. As for that church . . . I think I'm going to have to look them up, see what they think of photographers in their place of worship (more than just cell phone photographers, though: more like guys with a big camera case and a tripod). I'll keep this place in mind next time I'm in New York. Personally, I always went to the bathroom before going into the city, since I took the MTA into Grand Central from the burbs. It's so much cheaper to stay with family and buy train tickets every day.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 3:01 AM
Can you fly Bobby?

My first trip to Manhattan. Hope you like my view of things.

The Empire State Building

The Chrysler Building

Times Square

Times Square is a madhouse.

Love this pic...I'm pretty ok at this.

That's a big building.

Last edited by JVissle; Sep 2, 2010 at 3:09 AM. Reason: messed up. lol

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 5:49 AM
Resu Deretsiger

I have been to NY as well. How weak is it that there are suburbs of major cities with better, taller skylines then sac??

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 7:04 PM
legalize it-0'0" setbacks

I used to live in Union City, NJ, an inner suburb of New York. The things I miss most are the 24hr public transportation, the population density and walkable urban neighborhoods, and the range of experiences available within an arm's reach. Union City is 1-1/4 square miles and has a population of 67,000. Imagine what downtown and midtown Sac would be like with that many people living there...

Last edited by rampant_jwalker; Sep 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM. Reason: edit to Union City data

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I have been to NY as well. How weak is it that there are suburbs of major cities with better, taller skylines then sac??
Pretty freaking weak, if you ask me. New Rochelle, New York has a more impressive skyline than we do. Hell, even Des Moines has a more impressive skyline, and they're about a fourth the size we are!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 5:43 AM
Closed account

I will never understand why people compare Sacramento to other cities, with envy, discourse and jealousy. Why not try quitting your whining about Sacramento and move to a city with skyscrapers and all the "urbanities" you want? The whining is what is weak....

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 9:56 PM

I disagree with all of you, Sacramento is at least trying to have a good skyline, the econonmy just sucks, once the recession's over, (and our government gets more reasonable) we'll be fine, and buildings will go up

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 11:54 PM

Yeah, sorry, I disagree with both of you. For starters, it's my city, and I can complain about it if I want. Everybody complains about their hometown. I've seen almost every angle that exists for our skyline. For a city of our size, it's hardly impressive except for one or two angles. Once I head off to college, I'll be out of here, and (I hate to say this) hopefully heading for a real city. I used to think Sacramento was an amazing city, a great city. Then I turned ten.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hindrance to Development

Heh. I suppose I still haven't turned ten. I like Chicago and Los Angeles and the other bigger cities I have visited, and I still like Sacramento, even though we built "landscrapers" in the suburbs instead of more skyscrapers downtown. But, like polyester leisure suits and avocado kitchens, that was the fashion of the day, just ones that didn't age very well.

I hated it here too when I was your age, before heading off to college, and when I got back I was quite impressed with how much the city had gotten its act together in four years!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 12:58 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Yeah, sorry, I disagree with both of you. For starters, it's my city, and I can complain about it if I want. Everybody complains about their hometown. I've seen almost every angle that exists for our skyline. For a city of our size, it's hardly impressive except for one or two angles. Once I head off to college, I'll be out of here, and (I hate to say this) hopefully heading for a real city. I used to think Sacramento was an amazing city, a great city. Then I turned ten.
Its not Your city, it's all of our city.

No one said you can't complain (unless I missed someone's post)

I said complaining is weak.

When I turn ten, I hope I am not as cynical. Although I am not ten yet, I have learned that the complainers, do nothing and accomplish nothing. The builders and creators, do not have time to complain. Maybe in the "real city" things are different. I think our Fake-City has improved quite a lot in the past 10 years, I wish $0.00 tax dollars were used, but that does not mean I have to deny all improvements.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 1:59 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Heh. I suppose I still haven't turned ten. I like Chicago and Los Angeles and the other bigger cities I have visited, and I still like Sacramento, even though we built "landscrapers" in the suburbs instead of more skyscrapers downtown. But, like polyester leisure suits and avocado kitchens, that was the fashion of the day, just ones that didn't age very well.

I hated it here too when I was your age, before heading off to college, and when I got back I was quite impressed with how much the city had gotten its act together in four years!
Your right, in just 4 years things changed so much. I will also say we should give a lot of credit to Fargo, where most of the improvements began during her term.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 4:05 AM
Hindrance to Development

Way to miss the point, econ...what changed was my attitude, not the place. Plus, I think Anne Rudin was mayor when I finished college...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 5:34 AM
Resu Deretsiger

I LOVE sacramento, don't think different just because i think the skyline is a bit weak compared to suburbs of bigger cities.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 9:27 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Way to miss the point, econ...what changed was my attitude, not the place. Plus, I think Anne Rudin was mayor when I finished college...
I got your point. I was just extending it further. Am I wrong to think that Sac changed a lot in the past 4 years? I do not think so. Good for you and your attitude about Sacramento. What made it change for you in the past four years then?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hindrance to Development

My attitude hasn't changed that much in the past four years, but I wasn't talking about the past four years.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 2:48 PM

Sacramento is a Government city........lots of government type buildings NOT skyscrapers.....look at the capitol!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
Sacramento is a Government city........lots of government type buildings NOT skyscrapers.....look at the capitol!
Yes, and look at the hideous 50's government buildings lining Capital Mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area