HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
No, the communities in South Texas are full of snowbirds who spend only the winters there.
On this I agreed with you . . . about the Gulfward end of the Rio Grand Valley. The initial comment about retirement communities in Texas referred to a Sun City "north of Austin". I really doubt many people to there in winter from out of state.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 11:52 AM
be nice to the crackheads

My parents snowbirded (sic) in Palm Springs for years up until this winter. They are doing a Caribbean cruise and a couple of weeks in Mexico instead.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
This is the first year my dad is doing the snowbird thing and he loves it.

Charleston, South Carolina or rather a barrier island outside of Charleston.
I can't see myself ever being a snowbird, but if I were, that would be my destination as well. Historic Charleston is beautiful. It kind of feels like Boston transplanted to the South - with a walkable core, great food, and from what I remember, a much younger and livelier crowd than the retirement communities of coastal Forida.

Seabrook and Kiawah Island are nearby and have fantastic beaches with some of the warmest ocean water I've encountered.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:46 PM

Palm Springs... It's basically Canada there for 6 months of the year

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:14 PM
Registered Putz

Florida is basically New York state with alligators and bigger bugs. I think half my graduating HS class wound up there and most of their grandparents certainly did.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:33 PM

Most people I know from this region go to Florida, mostly the gulf side. A few also go to Arizona, mostly for health reasons, but also people who just don’t like too much humidity. I’ll give a shout out to South Carolina as well, as it seems to draw quite a few Ontarions as well.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:53 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
On this I agreed with you . . . about the Gulfward end of the Rio Grand Valley. The initial comment about retirement communities in Texas referred to a Sun City "north of Austin". I really doubt many people to there in winter from out of state.

you'd be surprised. I personally know plenty of people who live in sun city during the winter and head north for the summer, including some of my relatives and many of their friends from sun city or the valley.

no doubt there are fewer snowbirds in Texas than Arizona or Florida, but there are still plenty in Texas.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:30 PM
'Sunny'

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I can't see myself ever being a snowbird, but if I were, that would be my destination as well. Historic Charleston is beautiful. It kind of feels like Boston transplanted to the South - with a walkable core, great food, and from what I remember, a much younger and livelier crowd than the retirement communities of coastal Forida.

Seabrook and Kiawah Island are nearby and have fantastic beaches with some of the warmest ocean water I've encountered.
My dad shared the same opinion. He's not an old fart-geezer type that plays golf though. He's never played a round of golf in his life.

He is active and continues to work from home and travel for leisure and work related events and is a bit of a night owl. I think he was in Seattle last week for business.

He came to the realization that for about 5 months, winter really sucks and he would rather be in a mild climate to not be limited in daily activities. I'm a young guy and I'd love to be able to live in multiple regions without being tied to a physical location due to work.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:32 PM

Jacksonville

I beat you guys to it again. Only this time there is some level of truth to it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Ask Anne Murray.
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:21 PM

Sunny Isles Beach used to be home to many Quebec...(whatever it is that people from Quebec are called) but they seem to have been squeezed out by the Russians. You still do see a ton of Quebec license plates driving north on I-95 come spring time.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:24 PM
is a loser.

Going solely by the number of cars with Saskatchewan license plates I saw this past weekend in Phoenix, I'd reckon half the province is in metro Phoenix right now...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
midwesterners go to the gulf, east coasters go to the atlantic. i dont know where canadians go.
That may have been true at some point, but not anymore. Naples up to Tampa Bay area/Sarasota is filled with East Coasters. Plenty of Midwesterners are (and have been) all up and down Florida's Atlantic coast for decades too.

Canadians go both Gulf and Atlantic too. You could always find French Canadians and Canadians in general in pretty high numbers in the Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, North Miami Beach, Sunny Isles areas.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:30 PM

So does Florida give way to Arizona when one enters the Central Time Zone?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:31 PM
I am the law!

Cuba, lesser extent Mexico when you're single.
Myrtle Beach when you're not.
Florida when you just don't give two shits anymore. You just want to be warm.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
you'd be surprised. I personally know plenty of people who live in sun city during the winter and head north for the summer.
Be careful. There are sun cities all over--it's a brand name for "active adult" retirement communities. There's also one outside Phoenix and many other places. Do the people you know go to the one near Austin? Strikes me as an odd place to spend the winter, personally: No beach, no mountains, not especially warm or sunny (but warmer than Boise, I admit).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Looking at license tags in Arizona parking lots (near Tucson) in winter, one sees a few from all Canadian provinces and from Maine and the rest of New England but they seem to get notably fewer from east of Indiana.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:48 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Be careful. There are sun cities all over--it's a brand name for "active adult" retirement communities. There's also one outside Phoenix and many other places. Do the people you know go to the one near Austin? Strikes me as an odd place to spend the winter, personally: No beach, no mountains, not especially warm or sunny (but warmer than Boise, I admit).

I'm aware there are multiple sun cities; hell, I'm at the age where I'm getting peppered with Del Webb brochures constantly. the people I know personally are at the one near Austin (specifically, outside Georgetown), and they are definitely snowbirds. same with their friends who spend time in the Texas Valley (where, to your point, is warmer and closer to the gulf.)

while Austin may not have Florida/Arizona heat, it's much better than the upper midwest, and people can still golf year-round down there as long as they don't get a brief cold snap. heck--Boise isn't nearly as cold during the winter as much of the midwest.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:48 PM
is a loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Correlation doesn't equal causation, but that'd be my guess.

My family is odd because unlike most of the Midwesterners who moved to Phoenix, we're from Cincinnati, not Chicago. There's an old joke that Cincinnatians know the Florida Gulf Coast better than they do the Tri-State.

Changing subjects a bit, without the Cubs (and to a lesser extent, the Dodgers and Giants), there would be no Cactus League. Meanwhile, I can count on one hand the number of Reds fans excited about our shitty team being in the Cactus League instead of the Grapefruit League, myself included, but I refuse to patronize Spring Training games. Most people I know from Cincinnati hate that the Reds left Florida for Spring Training because hardly anyone from the Tri-State knows anything about Arizona aside from it being hot and full of saguaro cactus.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:55 PM
Sentence fragments!

Location: Asheville, NC - "Home of the Pernicious Poem Place"
And what happens when the snowbirds relocate and become permanent residents of their chosen hotter clime, then find that you pay for pleasantly warm winters with summers that are hotter than the devil's asshole?

Yes! They become the summer people who, every May to October, flock en masse to the Appalachians for years on end before they eventually abandon Florida altogether and move here to become our problem!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions