HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:52 PM

Smarter people in the Sunbelt will come to their senses and realize that the best cities (and best people) are in the North.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:15 PM
Back on the road again

My gut hunch to the originally posted question....."no".

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:17 PM
Registered Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Smarter people in the Sunbelt will come to their senses and realize that the best cities (and best people) are in the North.
Yeah...but it's cold up there. You guys need snowblowers, shovels, and snowplows 6 months out of the year and those are all bad.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Yeah...but it's cold up there. You guys need snowblowers, shovels, and snowplows 6 months out of the year and those are all bad.
There's also this:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:23 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Been saying for years, the popularity of the Sunbelt will eventually become its own demise. California is merely the first, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas will be next. When Mississippi and Louisiana start to become "popular" Sunbelt destinations then you know they're starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel and the glory days of Sunbelt growth will be over.
Why do you say this?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:28 PM

^
^
That is interesting. I am surprised that Salt Lake City would be in the same cloud cover category as New Orleans and Jackson, Mississippi.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is cold up here. But true seasonal changes are what makes life and people interesting, to me. I've never used a snowblower and never will. A man understands that a bit of shoveling is good for the mind, soul, and body. The south is where people go to become weak and die.

6 months though? Come on, now. You're originally a snowbelter, aren't you? Even in the Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse stretch along southern lakeshores it's not 6 months. It's really more like 3, Dec-Feb, that you can consistently have snow on the ground. Sure, we can get snow in Nov and Mar, but it's usually gone in the next day or two and interspersed with nice weather.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:43 PM
Back on the road again

The south is where people go to become weak and die...

I'm under a tough work deadline today and that made me laugh...thanks!

Actually the "halfback" migration has been well-documented...There's a wide swath of the south, namely, the Piedmont, which has all four seasons in just the right amount, and former northerners who tire of Florida don't return north, they are flocking to these "halfback" areas.

The Piedmont is high enough in elevation to not have brutal summers, has absolutely stunning Springs and Falls, and a short and usually mild winter that lasts just long enough to remember how much they don't like it!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
The south is where people go to become weak and die...

I'm under a tough work deadline today and that made me laugh...thanks!

Actually the "halfback" migration has been well-documented...There's a wide swath of the south, namely, the Piedmont, which has all four seasons in just the right amount, and former northerners who tire of Florida don't return north, they are flocking to these "halfback" areas.

The Piedmont is high enough in elevation to not have brutal summers, has absolutely stunning Springs and Falls, and a short and usually mild winter that lasts just long enough to remember how much they don't like it!
You have a deadline. Quit wasting time on here!

The Piedmont is nice, but doesn't get enough snow for me. If it's going to be cold, I would rather have snow. I hate the in-between awfulness of high 30s and 40s temperatures in winter. I'll take snow in the winter over rain in the winter any day.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
You have a deadline. Quit wasting time on here!

The Piedmont is nice, but doesn't get enough snow for me. If it's going to be cold, I would rather have snow. I hate the in-between awfulness of high 30s and 40s temperatures in winter. I'll take snow in the winter over rain in the winter any day.
Depending on your location in the Piedmont region, average highs in the winter is in the 50s and 60s. And there are frequently days in the 70s that occur. This past week for example, Atlanta's been in the 70s and 80s.

Furthermore, it's nice seeing ample fall / winter sunshine, versus the days upon days or dark / gray skies that are normal downwind of the Great Lakes.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:56 PM
Registered Putz

Quote:
Yeah, it is cold up here. But true seasonal changes are what makes life and people interesting, to me. I've never used a snowblower and never will. A man understands that a bit of shoveling is good for the mind, soul, and body. The south is where people go to become weak and die.

6 months though? Come on, now. You're originally a snowbelter, aren't you? Even in the Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse stretch along southern lakeshores it's not 6 months. It's really more like 3, Dec-Feb, that you can consistently have snow on the ground. Sure, we can get snow in Nov and Mar, but it's usually gone in the next day or two and interspersed with nice weather.
That's because you live in Pittsburgh as it could roll down a steep hill running down a bunch of people along the way and cause a several car accidents before crashing through a bar window on Carson St.

Truth about becoming weak here in the south. I am from Utica (NY) where it gets really cold and snowy to Houston where the state calls in the National Guard if it gets below 40. lol

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
You guys need snowblowers, shovels, and snowplows 6 months out of the year and those are all bad.
gross exaggeration.

i've shoveled our sidewalk roughly a dozen times so far this winter, and there's no snow in the extended forecast into mid march.

we might still get some late season snow, but once you're past mid-march, snow really does become ever more increasingly rare.

shoveling off a small city lot sidewalk a dozen times over the course of a year, is a pretty far cry from "6 months out of the year".

also, i've never operated a snowblower nor have i ever needed a snowplow (the city handles that shit with their fleet of salt trucks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
The land is cheap and the infrastructure is all relatively new.
for now........

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:04 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
The one-time mass migration to the Snowbelt was an anomaly, mainly because of the automobile and the collapse of the confederacy following the civil war. People put up with the harsh weather up north mainly to feed their families.

Before then, Most of the country's population was in the Sunbelt region and also along the east coast.

With manufacturing going the way of the dodo bird (in terms of creating a ton of good-paying jobs) and air conditioning having now become standard, people are going back to their roots (so to speak) and settling down south again. The land is cheap and the infrastructure is all relatively new.
If this is true, then why is Minneapolis (the coldest major metro in the US) one of the fastest growing cities in the northeastern quarter of the country? It is growing faster than places like Memphis, Richmond, Honolulu or Tuscon. I think people move where the jobs are.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Depending on your location in the Piedmont region, average highs in the winter is in the 50s and 60s. And there are frequently days in the 70s that occur. This past week for example, Atlanta's been in the 70s and 80s.
yeah, that's not winter.

Quote:
That's because you live in Pittsburgh as it could roll down a steep hill running down a bunch of people along the way and cause a several car accidents before crashing through a bar window on Carson St.

Truth about becoming weak here in the south. I am from Utica (NY) where it gets really cold and snowy to Houston where the state calls in the National Guard if it gets below 40. lol
I'm from Erie though... so, I obviously have an intimate relationship with snow. You know, the type of twisted love you got for it in Utica.

The parking chairs in Pittsburgh might stop a runaway snowblower though. But, being Pittsburgh, if it did crash through a bar window, they'd probably just leave it there and put some plastic on the window until Spring.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
If this is true, then why is Minneapolis (the coldest major metro in the US) one of the fastest growing cities in the northeastern quarter of the country? It is growing faster than places like Memphis, Richmond, Honolulu or Tuscon. I think people move where the jobs are.
The bolded is true.

By and large, much of the job growth has been in the Sun Belt. The exception is in areas with a strong Tech Industry, such as Minneapolis (DC is a special case because of the FED).

Now if another Henry Ford comes along or if the Snowbelt can attract companies like Apple, Amazon, etc., then I think they'll become more attractive places to live. But without those jobs, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
yeah, that's not winter.
And that's ok.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:17 PM

^ to you. But not to those who don't want to grow weak and die.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
^ to you. But not to those who don't want to grow weak and die.
Ok.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:26 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Why do you say this?
I thought my reply was a sufficient explanation. When everybody and his kid brother move to Place X because of its warm weather, cheap costs and low taxes, eventually all those people moving there will eliminate the cheap costs and low taxes, and at some point even the warm weather will not be enough to keep people there. So they start moving away, and fewer people move there in the first place. Typical "killed by its own popularity" kind of thing.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:

Not really much of an exaggeration. Getting snow in March and April is enough, even if it melts soon. And even if there's not snow on the ground in those months, it still feels like late winter, not early spring. People like leaves on the trees in April and May. You can drive through the Southern Tier of New York on Memorial Day weekend and the trees are as far along in that region as they are in early April here in Delaware.

As mentioned before, if people want winter, they will generally want it in a smaller dose. Places like Asheville NC, Columbia SC, Nashville, Albuquerque, Flagstaff AZ, etc will become more desirable before Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, etc. Asheville and Albuquerque have winters, but the winters are done for good by the end of February. March feels like spring, not an extension of winter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions