HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 4:51 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Both of you did, which was pretty funny. You both looked like you were afraid to look at the camera for any length of time haha. It's pretty strange feeling though so I don't blame you.
Ha ha. I was a little confused about looking at the camera, because all I had to go on was an earpiece to hear the host, so I looked off into space as I was trying to hear him often. I did another interview previously where I was told not to look at the camera, so I guess it is done differently depending on the set up.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:05 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I've only done a couple of TV interviews, but they have always been with the interviewer with me, so I was directed to look at them when talking and answering questions. Much easier than that setup I imagine.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:20 PM

Well done Fusili, glad to see forumers in the media.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 6:01 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Alright then, find and buy me a ROW that won't eat in to the traffic flow.
Hopefully when CT does their "due diligence" they will look at all of the options and I won't have to.

However, in regards to eating into the traffic flow, sometimes compromises must be made. The flexibility a tram would provide could very well justify a small reduction in road capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I look down too much. Oh well, it was fun. I got to see where Barb Higgins sat.
I thought you were confident and well spoken. The other guy was well nervous and sounded like a hockey player with all of his "Ummms" and "Ahhhhhs". He is pretty much what I'd expect myself to sound like.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
The other guy was well nervous and sounded like a hockey player with all of his "Ummms" and "Ahhhhhs". He is pretty much what I'd expect myself to sound like.
As long as he doesn't say "you know" every 5 words like Theo Fleury, I can deal with it.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 2:34 PM

Another thing is how to get up to the pods and in a fully accessible fashion....

The stations would have to be up highrises and use those highrises to get there. Maybe that's a niche to fill, and to emphasize it as a supplementary service in addition to the already existing backbones of the system.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 2:53 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Why would the stations need to be in highrises? They can be easily made to accommodate ground level stations, just a matter of having the guide-way lower down as it approaches the station, no different than at a ski resort (or even the skychair at the Stampede grounds).

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 2:59 PM
Construction Enthusiast

The only way I can see this making sense is if it has a river crossing. Otherwise, it would seem to be more effective to use a different technology.

Westbrook - Foothills Hospital - Children's Hospital - West Campus - University Station.

A river crossing makes very little difference to the cost of a gondola, it makes lots of difference to the cost of a bus or rail based system.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
The only way I can see this making sense is if it has a river crossing. Otherwise, it would seem to be more effective to use a different technology.

Westbrook - Foothills Hospital - Children's Hospital - West Campus - University Station.

A river crossing makes very little difference to the cost of a gondola, it makes lots of difference to the cost of a bus or rail based system.
while we're at westbrook, why not keep going to mount royal?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:37 PM

Valleys that already have highways at the bottom would make good candidates as well.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 3:49 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
while we're at westbrook, why not keep going to mount royal?
I think you would need something higher capacity for that. A gondola doesn't strike me as having a super large capacity.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:11 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
I think you would need something higher capacity for that. A gondola doesn't strike me as having a super large capacity.
Or speed. I would put the Gondola between Westbrook and Foothills and stop it there. Another transit system (BRT? Light Rail?) woud connect within the Foothills/UofC/ACH complex. A BRT could also go from Westbrook to MRU and on to Rockyview Hospital and then to Heritage. Calgary Transit has this already in their BRT plan. Connecting Westbrook to Foothills via a Gondola helps complete the circle. It is the only place IMO that the Gondola works.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:
4,100 people per hour isn't high enough at a speed of 7.5m per second?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Hopefully when CT does their "due diligence" they will look at all of the options and I won't have to.

However, in regards to eating into the traffic flow, sometimes compromises must be made. The flexibility a tram would provide could very well justify a small reduction in road capacity.
The context is, the road network around that area is already in the sqeeze. It isn't like there is land like around stoney trail or what have you. 16th is the trans canada highway (or supposed highway)! crowchild has many issues in that area. And all things considered, I think the timeline will play a big part of all this. I can't imagine a proper tram / LRT solution for FMC in the next two decades. Within that context, a gondola doesn't preclude the possibility of LRT or other solutions.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Capacity is there (up to 6,000 per hour) however speed is not. Gondolas are good for up to 2-3 km or so to get one way to your destination.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:12 PM

Aside from being used to cross difficult stretches it can also be used as a supplementary service to take the pressure off, and maybe additional passengers for rides and stuff.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:32 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Aside from being used to cross difficult stretches it can also be used as a supplementary service to take the pressure off, and maybe additional passengers for rides and stuff.
This is why it makes sense to go from Westbrook to Foothills. There is a geographic constraint (the escarpment on the south bank of the bow) and the speed might actually be faster than going 29th/Memorial/Crowchild/Bow Trail, especially in traffic. The gondola would be 6 minutes from Westbrook to Foothills, while the drive would be have to be an average of about 50km/hour to accomplish that, which, depending on traffic, could be hard.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
4,100 people per hour isn't high enough at a speed of 7.5m per second?
7.5 (meters per second) = 27 kph

according to google, so pretty close to most other grade seperated transit systems. Every intermediate station you need to pass through on your trip would really eat into that however.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Capacity is there (up to 6,000 per hour) however speed is not. Gondolas are good for up to 2-3 km or so to get one way to your destination.
mrc is 3km from westbrook, straight down 37th st.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:37 PM

We are having a discussion on Urban Gondola's next week at Fort Calgary if anyone is interested in attending.
The event information is located here (February 15, 2012 event).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure