HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 2:09 PM

now i just wish DL would hurry up and order some more 77L and 773ERs!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 6:12 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
now i just wish DL would hurry up and order some more 77L and 773ERs!
Well we had an order for 11 777-200s which we got Boeing to convert every single one into 777-200 LRs. Delta will be the American Launch Customer for the LRs and we take our first deliveries in 2008. By the end of 2010 we should have 11 new LRs.

Also Delta did announce at the air show in Paris that we are planning a very large order of new aircraft by the end of the year. Naturally to be fair they have to say they are looking at both the A-350 and the 787. However, Delta gets lots of lovin' from Boeing for flying an all Boeing fleet so my bet is on the 787.

Delta is also getting an additional 11 or 13 757s that are ETOP certified from american. Those should be here by the end of 2008 if I remember correctly.

OH OH We are spending some 70 million to completely replace and upgrade our baggage handling system in ATL. Some 400 - 500 million is set aside for complete renovations at JFK. We have an order for 737s comming to replace our old MDs I just cant remember when or how many. Then there is the rebranding of every single airport that we fly in and out of. By the end of 2011 every one of our aircraft will sport the new livery.

If ya'll can think of any thing else just let me know. Have a great day!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:24 AM

I thought that Delta only has orders for 2 777-200LRs? I can also guarantee you that Delta will not be ordering A350s :-)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:25 AM

double post

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post
Well we had an order for 11 777-200s which we got Boeing to convert every single one into 777-200 LRs. Delta will be the American Launch Customer for the LRs and we take our first deliveries in 2008. By the end of 2010 we should have 11 new LRs.

Also Delta did announce at the air show in Paris that we are planning a very large order of new aircraft by the end of the year. Naturally to be fair they have to say they are looking at both the A-350 and the 787. However, Delta gets lots of lovin' from Boeing for flying an all Boeing fleet so my bet is on the 787.

Delta is also getting an additional 11 or 13 757s that are ETOP certified from american. Those should be here by the end of 2008 if I remember correctly.

OH OH We are spending some 70 million to completely replace and upgrade our baggage handling system in ATL. Some 400 - 500 million is set aside for complete renovations at JFK. We have an order for 737s comming to replace our old MDs I just cant remember when or how many. Then there is the rebranding of every single airport that we fly in and out of. By the end of 2011 every one of our aircraft will sport the new livery.

If ya'll can think of any thing else just let me know. Have a great day!
Also, Delta is adding winglets to many 757s and 767s, so that will help with continued international expansion.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 7:08 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Also, Delta is adding winglets to many 757s and 767s, so that will help with continued international expansion.
I was reading the minutes from a meeting where this came up. I thought that the winglets were just all wonderful. I was usprised to learn that the winglets only increase productivity of the aircraft in the air. During taxie, take-off, and landing the plane actually burns more fuel with them. From the way the minutes read it appeard that this would be a pilot program for the longer haul flights since you are really only saving fuel in the air.

As far as the 777s go Delta was holding options on additional aircraft that they firmed up thats where the aircraft are coming from. But there will be atleast two LRs in our fleet by the end of 2008.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post
I
As far as the 777s go Delta was holding options on additional aircraft that they firmed up thats where the aircraft are coming from. But there will be atleast two LRs in our fleet by the end of 2008.
5 LR's are firm now and the 6th has been approved by the BOD. Six for now, maybe more to come. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 1:18 AM

Very good info. Maybe these can be deployed on the JNB, DXB, BOM runs and the freed er's could be used to Shanghai, and Guangzhou(China Southern, future Skyteam members main hub), and maybe a couple of other destinations.

Side note I wonder if Delta took over flying to Dhaka Bangledesh from Biman(which ceased the route due to equipment constraints) if it would be profitable. From all indications the route was succesful but was being run by a dying airline. I think an er could reach it from JFK.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 3:30 PM

wow, bangladesh on Delta. I've never ever heard any speculation at all about that...so i have no idea.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 6:19 AM

Delta still need a lot of customer service!

I flew with Delta on 6/28 to Vegas. The check-in site is definitely a lot nicer. However, the customer service is so sub-par. I thought after going through bankruptcy protection, they would also improve their customer service. Every time I fly with Delta, I always deal with rude and very unhelpful check-in people and flight attendants. I have not has one good experience. It seems to me that they really hate their job. I was trying to avoid flying with them as much as possible. Too bad, they didn't go bankrupt.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
I flew with Delta on 6/28 to Vegas. The check-in site is definitely a lot nicer. However, the customer service is so sub-par. I thought after going through bankruptcy protection, they would also improve their customer service. Every time I fly with Delta, I always deal with rude and very unhelpful check-in people and flight attendants. I have not has one good experience. It seems to me that they really hate their job. I was trying to avoid flying with them as much as possible. Too bad, they didn't go bankrupt.
hmmm, i don't know how long you've been flying or what your experience is with other carriers, but i find delta to be in the top tier for domestic routes. i could only place jetblue as decidedly better, then maybe continental. delta is certainly better than united, us air and american. maybe your expectations are too high - how were they 'rude' and unhelpful to you?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
hmmm, i don't know how long you've been flying or what your experience is with other carriers, but i find delta to be in the top tier for domestic routes. i could only place jetblue as decidedly better, then maybe continental. delta is certainly better than united, us air and american. maybe your expectations are too high - how were they 'rude' and unhelpful to you?
I flew with Northwest a few times and they were really great. Airtran is also really good.

Delta send me an email that allow me to check-in online (which I thought it was a terrific feature to have). However, when I arrive to check-in gate to check-in my luggage, I told the men (with a disgruntle attitude) that I already check-in online and have my boarding pass printed out and ready to check-in my luggage. The men still told me that I have to go to the kiosk to check-in again and print my boarding pass again. So, can someone explain to me what is the point of me check-in online?

During the flight, this middle age flight attendant who serve snack for my section by pass my row every time and I had to call her out for it.

I do not have a lot of expectation for Delta, so high expectation for Delta is nearly non-existent in my book.

The other flight attendants were decent and nice on this trip. Well, I am waiting for my return flight to Atlanta as I am typing this. Hopefully, this return will prove me wrong. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited by Dragonheart8588; Jul 2, 2007 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:39 PM

to judge an entire airline by 1 or 2 flight experiences is really unfair and just not a good judge of an airline. In fact, it sounds like they are doing nothing wrong, your expectations are a little too high. Airline travel is not what it used to be, and the airports are very busy and very cautious these days, most airline employees are trying to be as efficient as possible, and not patronize every customer.

that being said, I fly quite frequently on almost all the legacy carriers, and I have flown 3 times in the past few months with US airways. Every single time something has gone pretty drastically wrong. Either they lose my luggage, or they BREAK my luggage, or my flight is delayed or canceled, or i wait in line for 2 hours. its easily the worst airline. its horrible.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:43 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Delta send me an email that allow me to check-in online (which I thought it was a terrific feature to have). However, when I arrive to check-in gate to check-in my luggage, I told the men (with a disgruntle attitude) that I already check-in online and have my boarding pass printed out and ready to check-in my luggage. The men still told me that I have to go to the kiosk to check-in again and print my boarding pass again. So, can someone explain to me what is the point of me check-in online?
That's the norm for all airlines with self service kiosks. You just select the "check bags only" option and the agents will call you to the counter to tag your bags.

Quote:
I flew with Northwest a few times and they were really great.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 3:08 PM

I have flow every legacy carrier and I find that Delta is leagues above the rest except, maybe continental. Jetblue is great and all but it is NOT the second coming of Singapore airlines which is a true customer service oriented carrier. I had one of the best flights in my life with Delta in March to San Jose California. It was awesome, IFE, Signature drinks(3 of them lol), good leg room and FANTASTIC flight attendants. Even on the return which had no inseat Video it was still great. Delta has a couple of kinks to work out but they will get it. Plus from what I under stand all flights 4hrs or more will recieve meals which is great.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 8:33 PM

Quote:
to judge an entire airline by 1 or 2 flight experiences is really unfair and just not a good judge of an airline. In fact, it sounds like they are doing nothing wrong, your expectations are a little too high. Airline travel is not what it used to be, and the airports are very busy and very cautious these days, most airline employees are trying to be as efficient as possible, and not patronize every customer.

that being said, I fly quite frequently on almost all the legacy carriers, and I have flown 3 times in the past few months with US airways. Every single time something has gone pretty drastically wrong. Either they lose my luggage, or they BREAK my luggage, or my flight is delayed or canceled, or i wait in line for 2 hours. its easily the worst airline. its horrible.
I paid almost 400 dollars a ticket to Vegas, so I guess I do have some expectations.

Last edited by Dragonheart8588; Jul 2, 2007 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 9:00 PM

nevermind

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
I paid almost 400 dollars a ticket to Vegas, so I guess I do have some expectations.
And therein lies the problem. Do you honestly think that you have a right to a first class experience on a transcon flight for under $400.00? Do you realize what tickets to Vegas used to cost?

I just flew out to L.A. and back on Delta, and I was very impressed and happy with everything from check-in to touchdown both ways. The employees I interacted with were great, with no exceptions. At check-in in L.A., the agents wanted to know how the improvements at Hartsfield looked. Four of them gathered around to hear the details, and you could tell they were genuinely excited. I've never flown Continental, but try getting that type of attitude at NW, UA, US or AA - it's not going to happen.

I would say that in my experience that US & NW are the absolute worst out there, with UA bringing up the rear.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 4:16 AM

Continental is a wonderful airline. That is what we fly. They have won so many awards in the past few years, and have contributed greatly to IAH (Houston's main airport) 7.4% growth in passengers from 2005-2006. Anything is better than the truck stop in the guy, American. Haven't flown Delta before.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 11:32 AM

i heard airtrain is bad and that they have old plains. is that true? i been only once on it NYC to houston and plane was old from 70's

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta