HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:46 PM
Community Guy

Exactly. I cannot see Betty giving approval even if they did (which they wont) want to move.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:54 PM

^ I don't know what its like in Edmonton, but I feel these public "statements" Katz is making, is ridiculous

Its sad he's taken it this far. The arena proposal is amazing but how this is coming about is not.

I hope something works out that doesn't involve subtle insults to the fanbase. Edmonton sports fans are among the best in Canada, they don't deserve this type of treatment.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:59 PM
Community Guy

^rightly or wrongly, he/they are doing this because of stalled negotiations. I dont think they are doing anything 'wrong' per se and they still are working in 'good faith', but perhaps it is time to lock them in a room with padded walls and not let them come out until a deal is reached. The Oct 17 deadline is good, for this is getting drawn out and more ridiculous by the minute.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 10:29 PM
Community Guy

from tsn.ca

"I'm 100 per cent not involved with the Oilers or the NHL," Gretzky told TSN via email on Tuesday. "I went to watch a (Seattle Seahawks) game and went home right after. I'm very confident that the Katz group and the city of Edmonton will get a deal done that would keep the Oilers in Edmonton where they belong."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 3:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Gretz pissed a lot of Canadians off by moving to the US - and really kicking off the salary escalations that caused 2 Canadian teams to move south, and 2-3 more to almost.

He further pissed off some Canadians by becoming involved ownership-wise with the Coyotes, the previous Jets.

If he actually had anything to do with the Oilers moving to Seattle.. man, that dude would be CRUCIFIED in the Canadian media.

(Yes, I realize this is all perceptions and not necessarily what actually happened or is gonna happen, but it's funny how his name keeps coming up when it comes to Canadian-US hockey relations)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 2:07 AM
Go Chiefs!

Apparently Pacioretty is now 219 lbs... oh my...

This guy went from potentially a 1st round bust to favorite current Hab in less than 2 years.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:03 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Egg on face, meet Katz.

Wow, what a stupid hockey story. I guess this is what we get in a lockout year.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 5:38 PM
Go Chiefs!

Surprisingly, I still do not miss hockey yet.... thanks NFL.

NHL OFFERS 50/50 SPLIT ON HRR IN PROPOSAL FOR NHLPA

Quote:
The NHL put a new offer on the bargaining table for the NHL Players' Association on Tuesday morning, which includes a 50/50 split of hockey-related revenue across the board and contingent on an 82-game season beginning Nov. 2.

"We hope we've given our best shot," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

Bettman added that the offer calls for no salary rollback and the revised schedule - if implemented - would see every team play an extra game every five weeks.

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said the offer - which is at least six years in length - is an "excellent start" and he would go over it with his membership in a 5pm et conference call.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490

If the players don't accept I would consider this as a players strike and not a lockout.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 5:47 PM

I hope they settle the CBA, but then return to empty arenas and lousy TV ratings.

These millionaire jerks (owners and players) deserve nothing less for arguing over money and taking the fans for granted like this.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:23 AM

I'm losing my patience over the lockout. I think that Bettman and the owners came up with a great offer; how often do employees anywhere earn 50% of the revenues of a company?

I think it looks bad on the NHLPA that they didn't accept the owners' generous offer.

The good news is that the Leafs have yet to lose a game this month!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:19 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

No surprise but games up to Nov.1 have now been cancelled.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I'm losing my patience over the lockout. I think that Bettman and the owners came up with a great offer; how often do employees anywhere earn 50% of the revenues of a company?

I think it looks bad on the NHLPA that they didn't accept the owners' generous offer.

Don't forget that little weasel Bettman, hired Frank Luntz, so the league could more effectively use the fans as pawns.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:13 PM
ハルウララ

It's not Bettman's fault. Stop scapegoating him.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:58 PM

Remember how Sidney Crosby was whining how the owners walked out of negotiations after 10 minutes on Thursday? Well this is how Fehr "negotiates":

Quote:
On Thursday, he walked into a significant meeting with several NHL owners 90 minutes late, plopped down two single sheets of paper, each with a different skeleton proposal to the owners that didn’t include any ideas on systemic issues, then verbally delivered a third proposal with no accompanying paperwork. For all three proposals, he acknowledged to the owners he hadn’t actually “run the numbers.”
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...nhlpa-coup-cox

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
It's not Bettman's fault. Stop scapegoating him.
These. The players are greedy twats. I hope they remember they play a game for millions of dollars on the back of everybodys hard work.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 8:12 PM

If only it was like of old days of Eagleson & Ziegler getting together and making a deal.

Instead looks like another season will be lost over petty bullshit, owners will eventually mop up the NHLPA and the players will have lost another year of their career with peanuts in return!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 1:57 AM
Home of Hyperchange

The players are beginning to act like typical moronic government union employees, who will gladly lose 2 months' pay just to "win" a 3% pay increase.

All the while completely forgetting that they're WAY in the hole on the entire thing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 7:53 PM
DRINK

Justin Shultz is lighting it up with the OKC Barons right now. 9 points in 5 games.....this kid is good.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 9:28 PM

The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn in 2015. The league says they want the team to keep the name, but Brooklyn is where it's at - it's much more marketable. A hockey jersey with Brooklyn emblazoned on the front of it would be very popular. The area around The Barclay's Centre is pretty cool as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...rles-wang.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 2:50 AM
Go Chiefs!

According to a La Presse survey, 58% of Quebecers don't miss hockey at all!

I must admit I am surprised at myself by how indifferent I am to the lockout. Seriously they could cancel the season and I won't be as sad as 2004.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada