HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:18 PM
Ex Houstonian

Furthest West East Coast Feeling Town/City

I was seeing what everyones opinion on what the furthest west east coast feeling town or city was, IE has historic row houses from the early 1800s/1700s. I've been to most of Americas cities and a whole heck of a lot of towns. The furthest west feeling east coast town in my opinion would be St. Charles, MO; just west of St. Louis. The main street is very similar to the types of towns you would see in eastern PA or Virginia.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

cincy's OTR?

source: http://www.spectraflycam.com/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Cincinnati/Covington and St. Louis have very similar feels, both demographically and architecturally. I was just in Over the Rhine a few weeks ago, I love that hood. Still has a long ways to go though as there's still loads of crime and abandoned buildings, but its come a long long ways since I was there in 2012. 3CDC has done amazing work on restoring a load of the buildings.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Architecturally , I'd say the Cincinnati area as well but culturally it is more southern from my experience. Pittsburgh with grits.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Architecturally , I'd say the Cincinnati area as well but culturally it is more southern from my experience.
my experiences there have been different.

culturally it feels very midwest german to me.

but that's probably because my family in cincy is midwest german.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Pittsburgh with grits.
more like Pittsburgh with goetta.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:54 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Soulard, Saint Louis seems like the best answer to me, on first thought. I don't think the whole city feels east coast, but maybe that neighborhood.

The Midwest's Germanic influences make most of it appear pretty distinct from the east to me, even neighborhoods like Over the Rhine that structurally aren't that different.

I'm basically looking for a) attached rowhouse neighborhoods, that b) have Norman-influenced architecture instead of Germanic-influenced architecture.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 8:21 PM

Anything East of the Denver Metro is East Coast.

Yes, Texas is East Coast, Kansas is east coast. Now if you feel uneasy about this its becasue you arent from the west and you are east coast.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 8:54 PM
Future God

I know a lot of people will probably scoff at this, but I actually think San Francisco feels very east coast in a lot of ways.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I know a lot of people will probably scoff at this, but I actually think San Francisco feels very east coast in a lot of ways.
Yes and no. Built environment yes. Downtown yes. Architecture and nature/flora outside of downtown? No.

I could see how one could mistake this for NYC, Philly or Boston:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7922...7i13312!8i6656

This however? This is quintessential West Cost. You won't find anything that looks like this in the Northeast:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7946...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 9:59 PM

Similar to SF, there are several historic parts of LA that could qualify, minus the flora and fauna... Historic core of DTLA, which stands in for NYC daily, as well as parts of Ktown and mid city might pass as well

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 9:59 PM
cities|transit|croissants

San Francisco's color palette gives it away. More sandy tans, less dark red or granite.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 10:07 PM

Bodega Bay and Mendocino and Fendale CA have New England coast/Cape Cod vibes and look without the frigid winters. They filmed the movie "Summer of '42" in Mendocino as a stand in for the New England coast. Some Oregon coast towns as well look "Mainey" although the winters are mild. Pismo Beach CA has a Jersey shore vibe and pin ball arcades although there are hills. Least east coast-looking city. Probably Las Vegas or Phoenix or Tucson.

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 2, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 11:02 PM

How about Atlanta?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 12:35 AM

Saint Paul? F. Scott Fitzgerald House and it's neighborhood on Summit? I mean, it's not nearly as big as OTR, but it's Romanesque Revival, a style you find throughout Boston's and New York's rows. So it ticks that Norman-not-Germanic box.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Not one of these threads again.

It goes back to the question: What is East Coast?

Some think of the East Coast as Boston to Washington, while leaving out the rest of the East Coast.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:36 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i’d echo the others with soulard in st louis...has echos that boom all the way from chesapeake bay. the only other thing i can think of is new orleans which is so much its own thing. it dont think st paul has attached flounder houses or other old-american typologies like that, the next (only other?) city in the midwest proper that has that is cincinnati. in fact, st. pauls development directly descends (or ascends) from st. louis, on the river, much like kansas city (which was founded by st. louisans).

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 3, 2019 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Not one of these threads again.

It goes back to the question: What is East Coast?

Some think of the East Coast as Boston to Washington, while leaving out the rest of the East Coast.
East coast is everything east of Denver

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I was seeing what everyones opinion on what the furthest west east coast feeling town or city was, IE has historic row houses from the early 1800s/1700s. I've been to most of Americas cities and a whole heck of a lot of towns. The furthest west feeling east coast town in my opinion would be St. Charles, MO; just west of St. Louis. The main street is very similar to the types of towns you would see in eastern PA or Virginia.
st. charles (and other old canadien-founded cities around st louis) is a contender i guess, you get flashes of quebec as well. theres quebecois-founded church congregations from the 1600s around st. louis, where else are you going to find that at this longitude (other than louisiana and we are a touch west of new orleans)?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Cincinnati/Covington and St. Louis have very similar feels, both demographically and architecturally. I was just in Over the Rhine a few weeks ago, I love that hood. Still has a long ways to go though as there's still loads of crime and abandoned buildings, but its come a long long ways since I was there in 2012. 3CDC has done amazing work on restoring a load of the buildings.

Demographically, the St. Louis region has about twice as many black people and it has a noticeable influence on the local culture. Architecturally, St. Louis is like a strange mix between Cincinnati and Chicago with a sprinkle of New Orleans influence.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Demographically, the St. Louis region has about twice as many black people and it has a noticeable influence on the local culture. Architecturally, St. Louis is like a strange mix between Cincinnati and Chicago with a sprinkle of New Orleans influence.
balimer too. pit beef!! i remember the first time i was in baltimore, probably FELT the most like st louis of any other place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions