HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 9:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
The building downtown with it's third floor windows all boarded up...what's the deal. It's very unattractive. They could atleast be painted black.
That would be the Higgin's Block, which as Scarface pointed out is fully leased on it's ground floor (Mexicali Rosa's, Freshii & Japan Go!)

For some reason the owners (who live in Nova Scotia I believe) have let the upper two floors go, which is entirely too bad since this building is on a very prominent downtown corner just across from city hall.

I don't know why this is. Other buildings on Main Street have seen their upper floors renovated for loft apartments, small offices and start-ups. The McSweeney Building across the street has a dinner theatre on an upper floor.

Downtown looks immeasurably better than it did five years ago, and I think this will continue into the future. The only problem area is the Subway Block down by the CN line.

I'm pretty sure that city hall has talked to the owners about sprucing up the Higgin's Block, but obviously nothing has come of this. If the owners don't want to renovate the upper floors, I suppose this is their own business, but surely the city has the leavers necessary to order the owners to fix up the windows in the upper floors. It would make the world of difference in the appearances of that corner.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 3:33 PM
New Brunswick booster!

They need to use those floors asap! They need to get in on the ground floor as downtown Moncton begins a new chapter. Need to get Historica developments from Saint John on that ASAP! Could turn a big profit.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 11:48 AM

I worked for an IT company about 6-7 yrs ago, we looked at leasing that space.. but the terms were steep.. i think it was like 10yr minimum lease + I dont remember the exact numbers but i believe it was in the 2-4million dollar range to bring the space up to par.. nice spot though. Too much for that company at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
That would be the Higgin's Block, which as Scarface pointed out is fully leased on it's ground floor (Mexicali Rosa's, Freshii & Japan Go!)

For some reason the owners (who live in Nova Scotia I believe) have let the upper two floors go, which is entirely too bad since this building is on a very prominent downtown corner just across from city hall.

I don't know why this is. Other buildings on Main Street have seen their upper floors renovated for loft apartments, small offices and start-ups. The McSweeney Building across the street has a dinner theatre on an upper floor.

Downtown looks immeasurably better than it did five years ago, and I think this will continue into the future. The only problem area is the Subway Block down by the CN line.

I'm pretty sure that city hall has talked to the owners about sprucing up the Higgin's Block, but obviously nothing has come of this. If the owners don't want to renovate the upper floors, I suppose this is their own business, but surely the city has the leavers necessary to order the owners to fix up the windows in the upper floors. It would make the world of difference in the appearances of that corner.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 12:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
I worked for an IT company about 6-7 yrs ago, we looked at leasing that space.. but the terms were steep.. i think it was like 10yr minimum lease + I dont remember the exact numbers but i believe it was in the 2-4million dollar range to bring the space up to par.. nice spot though. Too much for that company at the time.
That's the sort of business that belongs in that space. I suppose the owners were looking for a long term lease in order to justify the renovation costs, but they probably should learn to be more flexible in order to attract tenants.........

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 1:36 PM

lead time is important.. small to mid size IT companies don't want to wait 2yrs for a space..even when the are heavy with money. For some of these IT companies.. 2 yrs is like their half life .. as they get bought out or fail, or they are consulting companies that come in quickly for a contract. Its a big investment to bring that space up to code.. but "if you build it they might come" . Its a trendy location.

Quote:
That's the sort of business that belongs in that space. I suppose the owners were looking for a long term lease in order to justify the renovation costs, but they probably should learn to be more flexible in order to attract tenants.........

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a picture I took today of the back end of the Higgins Block, with the old Times Building in the foreground and the McSweeney Building in the background.

New Flickr photo hosting site - screw you Photobucket.......

Again, there is no excuse for the Higgins Block to be left partially derelict. The Times Building contains Architects 4 Ltd and Soricimed Biopharma, a quality pharmaceuticals start-up that began at Mount Allison University, doing state of the art cancer research. The McSweeney Buildng in the background is also fully leased in it's top floors with the dinner theatre and some internet start-up firms.

Other buildings downtown are similarly successful. The owners of the Higgins Block don't live in Moncton and probably have little emotional attachment to the building. The restaurants on the first floor are probably enough of a cash cow for them and they likely don't want to be bothered developing the property further. A shame really.......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 30, 2017 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

PMV Building - current status:

Flickr rules, Photobucket sucks

Photobucket $400/yr for photo hosting, not likely. Flickr free!!!

Someone on the forum has already commented, but the sliding windows on the second floor are interesting, and do make one wonder if the building isn't being built with a restaurant in mind, even though they don't seem to have a secured tenant yet (or at least not one they want to divulge at the present time).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 30, 2017 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Someone on the forum has already commented, but the sliding windows on the second floor are interesting, and do make one wonder if the building isn't being built with a restaurant in mind, even though they don't seem to have a secured tenant yet (or at least not one they want to divulge at the present time).
Someone from the forum also mentioned that Jack Astor's was the only confirmed restaurant for the new Mapleton development. At one point, Milestones was also rumoured to be located there. Maybe there is still a possibility of downtown Milestones instead as was initially rumoured. That would be a significant draw and another big win for downtown. One can hope.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:24 PM

New store opened at 577 Main Street. It looks to have been the only empty unit in that block. Intuition Boutique. A Toronto based clothing retailer.

It seems there is only one area of downtown that can fill up space at any given time.

This is why I wish we still had some downtown Big box stores along side some local businesses. Downtown would really be filled up then, or potential dead as a door nail. At least big box stores had the look of smaller shops but took up more space making downtown look more fuller busier.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
New store opened at 577 Main Street. It looks to have been the only empty unit in that block. Intuition Boutique. A Toronto based clothing retailer.

It seems there is only one area of downtown that can fill up space at any given time.

This is why I wish we still had some downtown Big box stores along side some local businesses. Downtown would really be filled up then, or potential dead as a door nail. At least big box stores had the look of smaller shops but took up more space making downtown look more fuller busier.
I checked out their Facebook page and their sign will definitely stand out, so that may attract more people to checking it out.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that Auto Indulgence is planning on returning to their Main Street location (old Coast Tire) after their fire earlier this year. Renovations are underway, with reopening scheduled for the fall.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Navigator's signage is now up on Main Street.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The old Centennial/Shakers Beverage Room property on St. George Blvd is finally under renovation.

This seems to be what they have in mind:

http://www.broadway-place.com/pdf/686_stgeorge.pdf

The original proposal to Moncton PAC last year also included an apartment building in behind, on Jones Lake.

I presume the plans for the apartment building are still a go as well........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 5, 2017 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 9:49 AM

Quote:
The old Centennial/Shakers Beverage Room property on St. George Blvd is finally under renovation.

This seems to be what they have in mind:

http://www.broadway-place.com/pdf/686_stgeorge.pdf

The original proposal to Moncton PAC last year also included an apartment building in behind, on Jones Lake.

I presume the plans for the apartment building are still a go as well........
I had seen staff at the centennial shakers. From what they understood, and what they stated the apartment building will potential be built at a later date. But seemingly those plans are still in the air.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 9:57 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Burrito Jax is now open on main street in the old Moncton Pizza location

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 12:03 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Delicious and about $10 with taxes. Can't wait for the Northwest Centre location to open!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 12:07 AM

Who had the awesome looking patio? Is the tokai noodle bar?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 1:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Who had the awesome looking patio? Is the tokai noodle bar?
The awesome patio belongs to the wine bar next door.......

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 2:28 AM

Oh yes! I have been in PEI for awhile now so haven't been downtown to see it

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:40 PM

Historic Moncton building up for auction https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...urce=story-top

Quote:
A century-old downtown Moncton building is being put up on the auction block next week.

The building housing Collliers International at 696 Main Street will be sold at a public auction on July 19 at City Hall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces