HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Anyone know what the base of the University of Winnipeg Commons building is being planned as since it seems to have really high ceilings.
The plans haven't really changed since they were released. The left side of the podium (south facing the WAG), 1/2 the frontage on Colony St, will consist of a 2 Floor entry space, communal area, service/building support. The large "void" to the North was constructed specifically for the "future and potential", PlugIn Institute for Contemporary Art.

You can see it was designed for future expansion from the start.
Residential first, gallery when/if it became feasible..

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:18 PM

^ Seems odd that Plugin would be moving so soon after moving from the Exchange to Buhler Centre. Or was the Buhler Centre a temporary location from the outset?

If Plugin goes, what would replace it in the Buhler Centre? It would be nice if an actual honest-to-goodness retailer went in there...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:57 PM

^^ Agreed. It seems odd that two U of W developed buildings could both be home to the Plugin. Perhaps something bigger is part of these plans?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Seems odd that Plugin would be moving so soon after moving from the Exchange to Buhler Centre. Or was the Buhler Centre a temporary location from the outset?

If Plugin goes, what would replace it in the Buhler Centre? It would be nice if an actual honest-to-goodness retailer went in there...

Expansion of the current Buhler Centre Gallery was the plan from the outset.

CRU? A splendid idea, but unfortunately It was initially designed to house a future expanded Gallery space.

Although I do admit it would make for one swanky exhibit showpiece ie: Starbucks, Dollar Store etc. in hindsight..

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Expansion of the current Buhler Centre Gallery was the plan from the outset.

CRU? A splendid idea, but unfortunately It was initially designed to house a future expanded Gallery space.

Although I do admit it would make for one swanky exhibit showpiece ie: Starbucks, Dollar Store etc. in hindsight..
Haha, a dollar store worthy of being profiled in the finest design magazines

Actually, expansion of Plugin sounds great... thanks for that tidbit, I didn't know that was the plan. The current space always struck me as a bit small given their profile. However, if they manage to expand to the new space in the Commons, they will have a pretty formidable gallery.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:34 PM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:47 PM

^ It won't be a giant, but it's starting to become visible in the skyline around the western parts of downtown.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:44 PM
BANNED

The more students living (and spending $$$) in the area, the better.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:56 PM

^ There are a lot of underused CRUs in that triangle between Memorial, Portage and St. Mary's... maybe a few more people in the area might encourage a couple more entrepreneurs to set up shop.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:07 PM
BANNED

That would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ There are a lot of underused CRUs in that triangle between Memorial, Portage and St. Mary's... maybe a few more people in the area might encourage a couple more entrepreneurs to set up shop.
Agreed. I'd love to see the old ADT offices in Colony Square get scooped up by any sort of retail/hospitality. I think UW could definitely use another watering hole... Garbonzo's sucks.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Coming along nicely, looks narrow/slim from this angle,1 floor left I believe..actually it looks more like 2..

Last edited by Cyro; Oct 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM. Reason: .....

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:29 PM

Ya it's a bad angle there is more on the other side, good enough for a vertical view though

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:35 PM

Yeah, I see what your saying..It looks like it has more massing in the render they released back in March..

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Safe to say, this building will not be huffed and puffed down.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Indeed, the area is ripe for additional university-themed projects, and spin-off businesses such as a few pubs.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Indeed, the area is ripe for additional university-themed projects, and spin-off businesses such as a few pubs.
The U of W has poured loads of money into expanding its campus over the last 10 years... instead of the fortress that it used to be, it now sort of feels like a fortress with edges that mesh with the surrounding neighbourhoods... it feels a little more integrated with the area now.

But is there any money left for more? They've done so much with bricks and mortar, I wonder if they wouldn't be better off focusing on their programming now.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:41 PM
BANNED

I am not sure what their requirements are in terms of space needed, but the campus still has a prison-like vibe. The University of Windsor has been doing an exemplary job of redeveloping and expanding its campus. I would like to see the U of W make its campus more inviting, and architecturally pleasing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 7:08 PM

Honestly the number one thing I'd like to see UW do is build something in front of the Rice parkade facing Colony (it's a hideous parking lot), and also maybe as a part of that do something about the abandoned garage on the surface lot north of the Asper Centre.

Maybe they could work with Booth College to fill in some of the lots on that block. Some nice pieces there with gaping holes... It would be great for the two campuses to mesh a little more, and maybe they could find a creative way to help UW connect more to Portage Place, since they have some offices there now.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Yes, definitely lots of room for additions to bring the University into the 21st century, as opposed to 1985. It looks like a prison to be honest. Even modest facelifts have a huge impact such as Calgary's Bow Valley College:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan