HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
OP here. Just put a contract on a 60s home in the Holly St. area. Very good condition, good sized lot, metal roof, stained concrete floors, central A/C and heat (don't laugh many older homes in the area don't have this), alleyway access and the same size as what I have now minus the garage. Crime is low in the area according to APD's crime viewer and walkability is pretty good. $185/ sq.ft. isn't cheap compared to many areas but is actually cheaper than some condos in the neighborhood. The neighbors have a smallish 2nd unit out back so I guess you can do this in this neighborhood.
I saw a house for sale in that area that had a detached 2 story structure in the back that they advertised as a possible rental property or home studio/office. I'm not sure if it's legal or not though...

Congrats on the contract! Did you get an inspection?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:25 PM

Congrats on your house - Holly Street Area is great

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I saw a house for sale in that area that had a detached 2 story structure in the back that they advertised as a possible rental property or home studio/office. I'm not sure if it's legal or not though...

Congrats on the contract! Did you get an inspection?
Yes. More than I bargained for needs fixing. A lot of the previous repairs and work were not done properly and need to be finished or redone. Inspector was awesome and didn't mind my being there and asking questions.

I do like the Holly Street area. Something great about a somewhat quiet neighborhood that close to downtown........

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 11:57 PM

The home has active termites in one area. Impossible to tell how far the damage extends because we can't access all potentially problematic areas. The design of the carport conversion, e.g. no concrete skirting, and lack of gutters contributed to the problem. Not sure what to do.......

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The home has active termites in one area. Impossible to tell how far the damage extends because we can't access all potentially problematic areas. The design of the carport conversion, e.g. no concrete skirting, and lack of gutters contributed to the problem. Not sure what to do.......
First off, you'll want to negotiate a lower price. If the seller has received the inspection regarding the termite damage, it is now their legal duty to disclose it to any other potential buyer in the future... meaning, the sales price will be less. They should realize this and come down by an amount equivalent (or greater) than what it would cost to fully inspect AND fully repair the damage in the worst case scenario.

Now, the good news is that many homes that age have had termite damage... which, at one time, was active termites -- that's what you have now. You can get a pest control company to treat for the termites, and get a warranty. Some wood may need to be replaced (even structural), but on a smaller home of simple construction on a flat lot, that's not gonna be complicated. Just be sure the inspection on the termite damage is thorough, and get a reputable pest control company who offers a good warranty to do the job. I bought a home once with a 10-year warranty on previously repaired termite damage. The company that did the pest control and warranty was Stroope Pest control, and I never had a problem with the house... but I haven't used them in a while so you should research on Angie's list or something. I think ABC pest control (which I use now) is also very reputable and will stand by their warranty.

But if you can't get a good price discount, or otherwise don't feel comfortable, just walk away. There are going to be plenty of fish in the sea (before we achieve recovery) for the next year or so, at least.

Good luck. Buying a home can be stressful, but it's always been worth it to me in the long run. Don't sweat the small stuff, and believe me, even buying a home ends up being the "small stuff" over the course of your life.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 4:59 PM

So I got money knocked off for the termite damage and I have a guy doing the repairs today. Of course I already got the termite treatment for the whole perimeter of the house using termidor with trenches. I really need to install gutters on that side of the house to help prevent infestation in the future.

The neighborhood is incredibly varied. Got one big modern design on the block; a few places that need some more upkeep; and a lot of older, mostly restored homes some of which are right at the century mark.

Right down the street there is a moontower which will be my beacon home if I'm ever dazed and confused after a late night.

Apparently Rep. Eddie Rodriguez doesn't live too far from me which I think is pretty neat. Don't know about the neighborhood association as there have been problems in the past:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A790063

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin