HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 6:14 PM

One word..TACKY!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 9:06 PM

from the pictures it seems there is an overload of coloured light, let's see how it looks in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 9:34 PM

A few things
As far a the lighting of that falls, I have mixed thoughts on it not like were niagara falls or anything but they have lights.

As far as the promotion of the falls, I think its great, its pretty much the only thing we have going for us especially for any outdoors types. If you don't like the outdoor then fine. But lets face it people travel to waterfalls. Im a big waterfall nut myself
see here --->http://www.flickr.com/photos/gods_ey...7609530082867/

I can say that I have met a lot of people who come here just to see that various falls from all over ontario and NY state. They wouldn't come here other wise, Maybe it doesn't put millions of $$$ into out economy but its still getting the word out that something other than industry exists here.

I never understand this fourm, unless its a massive development so many of you grumble.

Ill say this much Mr Ecklund as much as im not a fan either he is doing more to help the negative Hamilton image then most of you are on the site are.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 12:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I never understand this fourm, unless its a massive development so many of you grumble.
Well it is called skyscraper page after all. It's supposed to be about following major developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Ill say this much Mr Ecklund as much as im not a fan either he is doing more to help the negative Hamilton image then most of you are on the site are.
If I had Ecklund's money, I'd be doing more for my city than lighting falls and shrink-wrapping SUV's with photos of bikini clad babes, but hey, whatever. I have no problem with Ecklund as long as he stays out of politics.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 3:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Read the other threads outside of Hamilton, and see how much grumbling goes on. Heck people in Toronto grumble over the new RBC Dexia building.!!! This is by far one of the most civil threads on this board.

"shrink-wrapping SUVs". that's funny. those vehicles make my eyes hurt like the too colourful waterfalls.

And no I'm not outdoorsy. So I am biased against the waterfalls, I don't camp, go hiking, canoeing or whatever it is. My vacations are spent in other cities' downtowns, visiting the cities' amenities and culture. my tent is a 4-star hotel room.

This is what Hamilton (a city) should be promoting. It's urbanness. Not the 'nature' around it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 3:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
This is what Hamilton (a city) should be promoting. It's urbanness. Not the 'nature' around it.
I am outdoorsy. I'm in the woods everyday, and I love the fact that this city is so interwoven with it's natural surroundings, but I absolutely agree. From a 'branding' point of view (if we must 'brand' our city at all, but that's another discussion), we should be promoting the fact that we are still one of the densest cities in the country (in spite of the best efforts of a succession of political leaders and their sprawl developer buddies), with one of the largest remaining collection of c19 and early c20 building and housing stock, etc., along with all the social, cultural, and economic benefits that entails.

Our natural surroundings are essential for the environmental sustainability of our city, and may help attract some of those 'creative class' types we hear about, but Ecklund's flogging of the waterfalls doesn't address these benefits, and instead promotes the waterfalls merely for tourism. Hardly something to build our economic future on. The SUV's and the babes do as much of a disservice to the falls themselves, and the important part they play in the ecosystem of the escarpment - a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve - as they do to the urban character of our city.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 4:50 PM

if ecklund wants to throw money behind a nature-based tourism initiative that will actually matter, he should be lobbying for designation of cootes as a provincial or even better a national park.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
From a 'branding' point of view (if we must 'brand' our city at all, but that's another discussion), we should be promoting the fact that we are still one of the densest cities in the country (in spite of the best efforts of a succession of political leaders and their sprawl developer buddies), with one of the largest remaining collection of c19 and early c20 building and housing stock, etc., along with all the social, cultural, and economic benefits that entails.
We should be promoting both aspects. Most people want everything, so they want a city that has both aspects. This is a large reason why Vancouver is is booming; look at the environment they have - and they exploit and advertise it well.

The geography and topography of Hamilton is impressive and should be advertised along with the factors you two are talking about.

However, I do think Ecklund's tactics are cheesy... These pictures of the waterfalls are pitiful. First of all, they detract from the actual beauty of the falls. Second of all I could whip these up in PhotoShop in about 2 minutes... it's not a great effort.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 3:29 AM

Was going to discuss further but I just decided why bother, its not worth the effort. I love the falls and the nature of Hamilton and its the only thing keeping me here. Other wise Hamilton really doesn't offer much and never will because of the Politicians with no vision, too many old people who complain about any thing good and just in general too many people who really wish this was Toronto.

Anyone on this page who can honeslty tell me that they think Hamilton is going to go anywhere is fooling themselves. All the right pieces are there and I mean all. Its really a shame honestly. I could almost picture is my head how great Hamilton could be but it won't.

Oh well at least I can dream.

Last edited by urban_planner; Feb 8, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Lately I've been calling Hamilton "H-Town" to my friends. Don't know why, i like the sound of it.

And for my friends (former Hamiltonians) who moved to Burlington. I call Burlington "The Bronx" they don't like that. but I do
I called Hamilton "H-Town" in my latest photo thread but Houston people claim it as their nickname.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 3:01 PM

Heh. To me, H-town sounds like Heroin-town... I understoood Vancouver's got the bigger claim to be the smack capital of Canada?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 3:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
I understoood Vancouver's got the bigger claim to be the smack capital of Canada?
Sad, but very true.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 9:37 PM
Needs more coffee...

^ Uh, mods? I don't think this adds anything helpful whatsoever.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion