HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:00 AM

I won't miss 'Device...'. Its underlying theme was awkwardness and futility - themes that really seemed to be too heavy at such a prominent location if installed permanently. As well, the proportions were too big for its space at harbour green, and really, it seemed that the artist was trying too hard to make a statement...

I really would have been upset if vancouver parks added it as a permanent installation.

I do miss tai chi - people, especially kids, loved to climb and interact with it...

from flickr

I also miss Jaguar...

from cbc

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
it's times like these that make me hate this city [Vancouver].
Quote:
Really though. This is just another example of the huge lack of appreciation for the arts in Vancouver, especially any art form that strays too far from the many examples of over polished, mainstream, Disneyfied, beige expressions that engulfs this city. At the end of the day, Vancouver is left with mainly dark clouds and rain and drab, plain, dreary, uninspired architechture with nothing in between to make it even barely tolerable. Is there something in the water here???
?WTF? This sculpture is a POS. I will be dancing around its dug-up base once it is packed up and moved far, far away...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:26 AM

Nice work Josh, I was hoping someone would post a map of what is actually DT Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:47 AM
Yellow Fever

Unhappy

Delete

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
?WTF? This sculpture is a POS. I will be dancing around its dug-up base once it is packed up and moved far, far away...
I agree. The things that passes for art in this town... ...maybe while they're at it they can take the cement "100" from the foot of the Granville Bridge (which cost $10,000 I believe) .

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 1:37 AM

wow i didn't expect it to go so fast

Workers from Pro-Tech Industrial Movers taking apart the churc
Photograph by : Bill Keay/Vancouver Sun

Removal of upside-down church stirs up storm of controversy

Yvonne Zacharias, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, June 04, 2008

It left as it arrived, in an cloud of controversy.

As two cranes gingerly lifted the upside-down church sculpture from its moorings in the Coal Harbour area Wednesday, bystanders gathered in clusters to bid it adieu.

There was no shortage of opinions on the Vancouver park board's decision to uproot the unwieldy structure and ship it off to Calgary, where it will find a new home in the hands of the Glenbow Museum and its new president and CEO, Jeff Spalding.

Some had argued the sculpture, known as the Device to Root Out Evil, is disrespectful of the church while others in the Coal Harbour area complained it blocked their view.

But most of the people who gathered to watch the delicate operation said it was a real shame to see the work by New York City artist Dennis Oppenheim go.

With a broad sweep of his arm, Art Kelm pointed to his seventh-floor apartment in a building that looked over the artwork. He was very sorry to see it go.

"I could see this being contested in the Bible Belt, but for free-thinking Vancouver, it's a real pity." So many tourists, he added, had stopped to snap pictures of the thought-provoking object sprouting at an odd angle from the earth.

In the background, you could hear the humming engines of two cranes standing guard over what looked like a whimsical toy that a perverse child had turned upside down and planted in the ground. Joggers, parents pushing strollers, office workers and tourists all paused to take in the curious sight.

Elaine Rusnack, who was born and raised in Calgary but now lives in Lethbridge, watched the sculpture's removal with her husband Terry. "I am so happy Jeff Spalding had the foresight to move it to Calgary," she said. "I can't wait to see where it is going to go."

Not everyone was so enthusiastic about the gently seditious artwork.

"I'm glad it's gone. I was dead set against it," said Barry Ehrl, who works in an office nearby. "It's sacrilegious. It's wrong. In this day and age, if it were turned the other way around, it would be fine."

"I hope they drop it in the ocean somewhere," said Larry Parker, a tourist from Wyoming. "I don't like the religious implications of it." If the structure were a school rather than a church, it would be okay with him. "I happen to be fairly religious," he added.

He also didn't feel the structure blended in well with the environment. "It looks a little awkward there."

Standing in workman's overalls, Tony Sawyer applauded its removal. "That's not art," he said. "It's a nice sculpture but it's not art."

Lost in the swirl of controversy was the fact that the sculpture was never meant to be permanent. It, along with 23 others on parkland and city property, were installed on a temporary basis for the Vancouver Sculpture Biennale - Open Spaces, an 18-month project meant to celebrate urban public art. They all went on the auction block March 1 so they could find new homes around the world.

One of the onlookers was Kelly Mullen, the wife of Neil Mullen, who owns ProTech Industrial Movers, the company handling the artwork's removal. "What they move is incredible," she said, adding that the company had recently moved some totem poles in Stanley Park.

The removal of the upside-down church and its transplantation to Calgary was just one big family operation. Neil's son Jamie is poised to receive the artistic hot potato in Calgary and put it back together again.

Although the church sculpture's removal took the better part of the day, Neil saw it as being all in a day's work. He specializes in moving art around. "Each one has its own challenges," he said. "But the guys are well-versed in it. We have every piece of equipment known to man."

Tourists seemed genuinely perplexed by both the structure and the controversy it had so obviously engendered.

One member of a group from England and Wales asked why it was upside down, pondered, then concluded that it was difficult to get into the mindset of it.

Pointing to the wide-open vistas around the sculpture, Joan Cass of Vancouver wondered whose view it was blocking. She is a staunch defender of the piece. "I'm very, very disgusted. It was controversial, unique, a conversation piece."

Cherry Rosario of Surrey and Dharmistha Patel of Vancouver, who would often come down to the spot to jog together along the waterfront, said they will miss the artwork.

"Actually, it's a little sad," said Rosario.

Patel felt the park board should have waited until at 2010 to remove it, but she was glad the sculpture is staying in Canada.

"Religious things always seem to bring up a backlash," said Rosario. "It's strange."

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/s...1-5821a1eb017f

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Say what you want about upside-down church but at least it's thought and conversation-provoking which is a big part of what art should be about. Most of the conversations around this:

were how the Victoria taxpayer got stuck with the $150,000 bill for such a meaningless piece of shit. I have a very hard time imagining a single piece of public art in either Vancouver or Calgary that is as pointless as this.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 9:42 PM
Movin' on up

I really don't see what the big deal is. I think this will actually be a burden off of DT Vancouver (Canada's most beautiful city, IMO). If Calgarians want it so bad, let them have it although it will do nothing to help their downtown.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jun 8, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 10:26 PM

That cost $150,000??????

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
That cost $150,000??????
For scrap metal X_X"

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 10:36 PM

I could see that worth $5,000-10,000....but how on earth is that worth $150,000???? Is the metal titanium???

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:01 AM

Quote:
I could see that worth $5,000-10,000....but how on earth is that worth $150,000???? Is the metal titanium???
Well... consulting and design? If any went in to it...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Well... consulting and design? If any went in to it...
They had to do public consultation and design on a piece of artwork???

In my opinion, artwork tends to be best if is spontaneous and left to the artists own imagination.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 8:49 PM

Just because its in my field, I thought I would point out that the photos from google cant be compared unless captured at same scale. I am not arguing they aren't accurate just they can't be compared without the scale info. So post some info.

(need help, message me)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Say what you want about upside-down church but at least it's thought and conversation-provoking which is a big part of what art should be about. Most of the conversations around this:

This is a good example of failed urban revitalization.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 10:44 PM

Of course you don't see what the big deal is, you don't see a whole lot of anything from what I've seen. You just revealed your own ignorance with that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I really don't see what the big deal is. I think this will actually be a burden off of DT Vancouver (Canada's most beautiful city, IMO). If Calgarians want it so bad, let them have it although it will do nothing to help their downtown.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:07 AM
Mac User

This pisses me off!!! That sculpture was cool an because it was so controversial it was a landmark and if it had stayed in Coal Harbor it would have became famous.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:10 AM
Mac User

Quote:
They had to do public consultation and design on a piece of artwork???

In my opinion, artwork tends to be best if is spontaneous and left to the artists own imagination.
Art and design are very similar, but design is better. You can call anything art, but design has some thought put into it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:20 AM

i wonder if someone from calgary can post a pic of its new home

but i was down there last week and its just a pile of dirt there now

looks awful and empty and why couldn't they have at least patched it up better

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:21 AM
Majestic

^ I don't think anyone knows precisely where it is going yet. I'm assuming that it will be somewhere in Eau Claire near the river...

I have to say that we are really enjoying these arts developments right now. The biggest I can think of are:
  • Upside Down Church
  • Curvy Wire Statue @ Arriva
  • Sculpture for The Bow

Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion