HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:16 PM
What could go wrong?

I'm not commenting on the Water Utility decision, but regarding Lilian Thomas - seriously, does she EVER fucking do anything else on city council but fucking vote against things. I have never heard her vote FOR anything. Christ, someone please find a way to get this useless mitt off of city council.

.....holy shit she gets me worked up

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:32 PM

I'm with you, Biff. I cannot bear to listen to Ms. Thomas. I find her excruciatingly frustrating, and unworthy of her seat on council, considering her opinion of 'against any form of development' regarding any urban affair. It's mind boggling.

Harvey Smith also provides very little value. He is noted as being a very compassionate person, and although I don't doubt that to be true for a moment, purchasing the art of struggling, aspiring artists, and being the recipient of public sympathy for proving unable to maintain one's residence to the point of condemnation don't render you qualified to hold a seat on council. Not having a fresh idea this millenium is also a large grievance.

I'm not a fan of Dan Vandal, but I give him credit to having a path plotted and sticking to his guns. Same with Gerbasi, although there are a significant number of issues of which I side with her.

We released some dead weight last civic election, but clearly not enough. Using federal politics of Canada and the USA as a precedent, Winnipeg is left with neither a steady hand at the controls, nor change we can believe in.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:42 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm not commenting on the Water Utility decision, but regarding Lilian Thomas - seriously, does she EVER fucking do anything else on city council but fucking vote against things. I have never heard her vote FOR anything. Christ, someone please find a way to get this useless mitt off of city council.

.....holy shit she gets me worked up
Oh come on now. I'm sure she's voted FOR a raise in her salary

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

all lily does at councle is get firghts going over procedure

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:51 PM

Remarkably, I would support that. Not as a reflection of her abilities and accomplishments, but as a gesture to the notion that it is unthinkable to believe that we can draw first tier talent to run for council in all areas of the city (and thus, have a first rate council) offering up what we currently do now, which is a fairly meagre pay scale, prohibitive for many individuals of considerable business or urban acumen to consider a transition into public life at the civic (and provincial) level.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 3:00 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yes but jeff shes does it to the pont it creats fighting

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:05 AM

Perhaps you misunderstood my post, Adrian. I was not promoting viral intentions of any councillor to instigate fights at City Hall. It was a literal response to Greco Roman's facetious comment about hiking council salaries.

If you were referencing Lillian Thomas tabling salary increase proposals, and that being the conductor of said altercations, then I apologize. However, I don't have any knowledge of Ms. Thomas putting foward any such proposal. My apologies if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood my post, Adrian. I was not promoting viral intentions of any councillor to instigate fights at City Hall. It was a literal response to Greco Roman's facetious comment about hiking council salaries.

If you were referencing Lillian Thomas tabling salary increase proposals, and that being the conductor of said altercations, then I apologize. However, I don't have any knowledge of Ms. Thomas putting foward any such proposal. My apologies if I'm wrong.
go spend a day and watch cit councle its worth sitting there and seeing what goes on

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 1:47 PM

other moves at council yesterday

WATER AND SEWER RATES: Council voted 11-3 to increase water and sewer rates by 2.65 per cent in 2009, which means the average residential household will pay $795 next year instead of $775. Couns. Dan Vandal (St. Boniface), Lillian Thomas (Elmwood) and Harvey Smith (Daniel McIntyre) voted against the rate hike.

MUNICIPAL SALES TAX: Council voted 11-3 to support the Association of Manitoba Municipalities' call for a new one per cent sales tax that would help cities, towns and rural municipalities repair their crumbling roads and bridges. Couns. Vandal, Mike O'Shaughnessy (Old Kildonan) and Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan) did not support the mostly symbolic move, which the NDP government will likely ignore.

CHIEF PEGUIS TRAIL
: Council voted 10-4 to use a public-private partnership to extend Chief Peguis Trail, against the objections of Couns. Vandal, Thomas, Smith and Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 3:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

jesus people use alot of water i only pay about 380 a year

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg's credit rating remains steady
CJOB's Robert Holland reporting
11/20/2008

The major credit rating agencies -- Standard and Poor’s and Moody’s Investors Service have reaffirmed Winnipeg’s credit rating, at AA stable and Aa1 stable, respectively.

Deputy Mayor Councillor Justin Swandel says it's a strong vote of confidence in the City of Winnipeg, and its economic future..

Both rating agencies have identified the City’s prudent stewardship and strong fiscal management as factors contributing to their positive assessment.

In 2007, Winnipeg had a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $25 billion, civic expenditures of $1.03 billion, and a Council-approved capital budget of $427 million.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
jesus people use alot of water i only pay about 380 a year
i use $800. 2 adults, 2 kids aged 4&2. lots of dirty clothes and bath most night for them and it all adds up.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i use $800. 2 adults, 2 kids aged 4&2. lots of dirty clothes and bath most night for them and it all addws up.
in that case u guys are using less water per person then i am

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:03 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
i use $800. 2 adults, 2 kids aged 4&2. lots of dirty clothes and bath most night for them and it all adds up.

Nice to see someone in the same boat as me - my kids are 4 & 2 as well.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:40 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
other moves at council yesterday

WATER AND SEWER RATES: Council voted 11-3 to increase water and sewer rates by 2.65 per cent in 2009, which means the average residential household will pay $795 next year instead of $775. Couns. Dan Vandal (St. Boniface), Lillian Thomas (Elmwood) and Harvey Smith (Daniel McIntyre) voted against the rate hike.

MUNICIPAL SALES TAX: Council voted 11-3 to support the Association of Manitoba Municipalities' call for a new one per cent sales tax that would help cities, towns and rural municipalities repair their crumbling roads and bridges. Couns. Vandal, Mike O'Shaughnessy (Old Kildonan) and Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan) did not support the mostly symbolic move, which the NDP government will likely ignore.

CHIEF PEGUIS TRAIL
: Council voted 10-4 to use a public-private partnership to extend Chief Peguis Trail, against the objections of Couns. Vandal, Thomas, Smith and Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge).
I see Dr. No (Lillian Thomas) was at it again.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:42 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
go spend a day and watch cit councle its worth sitting there and seeing what goes on
Yaa, you'll come away with a new appreciation for why we need term limits.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:43 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
all lily does at councle is get firghts going over procedure
Its only a ploy to mask the fact that she is completely inept at what she is doing.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Yaa, you'll come away with a new appreciation for why we need term limits.
i am still against term limuts despite this issue..

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Wish I only spent that little. My wife and I and our 3 kids, 14 - 20 years of age. A little extra from topping up the pool in the spring, but we don't water the grass. Just purchased a high efficiency laundry pair to hopefully take a good bite of the water bill. With the amount of laundry everyone creates here I'm quite sure I'll notice the difference.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 6:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

u could also just send the kids to a laudry mat to do their own laundry thus giving u and the wife some time alone lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan