HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Wow.

The building is just brutal from that last angle.

Looks like a 5 year old sketched it, and got bored halfway through.
It's the viewcone.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:11 PM

Such a lazy response. The viewcone is not the main problem. Sure, it is a problem, but in reality the view cone was always there. The building was designed with full knowledge of there being a view cone and yet the architect decided to half-ass the design and shave a piece off instead of doing something interesting with the zoning limitations.

The problem lies with lazy architects and cheap developers far more than with a piece of zoning policy, however frustrating that policy may be.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Such a lazy response. The viewcone is not the main problem. Sure, it is a problem, but in reality the view cone was always there. The building was designed with full knowledge of there being a view cone and yet the architect decided to half-ass the design and shave a piece off instead of doing something interesting with the zoning limitations.

The problem lies with lazy architects and cheap developers far more than with a piece of zoning policy, however frustrating that policy may be.
Trust me, it is the viewcone.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Trust me, it is the viewcone.
Needs a mall somewhere in there too.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:08 PM

You're missing the point Vin.

The viewocones, as frustrating as they can be, are not the excuse for a half baked response to them. The viewcones are the reason Trump Tower twists the way it does, the reason for Elan's angled facade or the triangular shape of Shangri-La. There are plenty of attractive ways to work with the viewcones, blaming them for shoddy design is not an acceptable excuse.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:35 PM

It looks like the Telus Garden condo tower crane is coming down. I just noticed today that the boom is lower than the roof now.

March 15 '16, my pics

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

The viewocones, as frustrating as they can be, are not the excuse for a half baked response to them. The viewcones are the reason Trump Tower twists the way it does, the reason for Elan's angled facade or the triangular shape of Shangri-La. There are plenty of attractive ways to work with the viewcones, blaming them for shoddy design is not an acceptable excuse.
Well, at least the setback isn't just an angled slice - like on the Main Post Office proposal.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

If not for the viewcones, this particular Telus Garden residential tower would just go straight up and symmetrical without that weird half semi-circle on top. Viewcones increase the possibility of a structure looking weird if a developer only has a certain budget, especially on this one here. On the other face not affected by the viewcones, the tower looks just fine and dandy. Also, I'm only commenting on this tower, not other ones.

Other than that, I don't see how else this tower is shoddy. I'm just incensed the City can't even let that little bit of viewcone slice go. That's very anal, especially for a non-sensical policy.

Last edited by Vin; Mar 16, 2016 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
It looks like the Telus Garden condo tower crane is coming down.
Yeah, it's bye bye crane and it will be a while before we will see another one hovering over the city skyline.

Telus Garden was a massive project now that I think about it. I remember there having been four cranes at the site at the busiest time, which is a lot in this city.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:52 AM

Quote:
If not for the viewcones, this particular Telus Garden residential tower would just go straight up and symmetrical without that weird half semi-circle on top. Viewcones increase the possibility of a structure looking weird if a developer only has a certain budget, especially on this one here. On the other face not affected by the viewcones, the tower looks just fine and dandy. Also, I'm only commenting on this tower, not other ones.

Other than that, I don't see how else this tower is shoddy. I'm just incensed the City can't even let that little bit of viewcone slice go. That's very anal, especially for a non-sensical policy.
You're still not getting the point. Viewcones themselves do not result in unattractive looking buildings. Some of the most attractive and pleasing buildings are a result of restrictions and constraints, physical or artificial. In addition to Trump, Elan and Shangri-la, the Vancouver House wouldn't have it's pleasing shape without the setback from the bridge as a constraint. Imposing restrictions and constraints do not hinder attractive design, so long as developers are creative. Instead of always needing to find fault in the city, you can blame the developer for not being creative with the Telus building.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:30 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post

Viewcones themselves do not result in unattractive looking buildings. Some of the most attractive and pleasing buildings are a result of restrictions and constraints, physical or artificial. In addition to Trump, Elan and Shangri-la, the Vancouver House wouldn't have it's pleasing shape without the setback from the bridge as a constraint. Imposing restrictions and constraints do not hinder attractive design, so long as developers are creative. Instead of always needing to find fault in the city, you can blame the developer for not being creative with the Telus building.
Didn't you get today's memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post

Lets make this crystal clear, no more view cone talks in this thread or any other building thread...If someone feels a viewcone pertains to a certain project thats great, bring that up in the viewcone thread. Pretty simple.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
No I don't read every single thread. But more than happy to oblige knowing the incessant and petulant whining will end.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I think Squeezied only likes reading my postings, and picks at any "fault" he can find.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I think Squeezied only likes reading my postings, and picks at any "fault" he can find.
Good to know you've realized your shortcomings.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:56 AM

This might take another day or two but I am getting a little excited about being able to see something soon that is close to the final look from this angle.

March 16 '16, my pics

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:16 AM

The ledges / frames do pull it together, but it's not as clean as it could be.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:57 PM

I think it was intentionally going for a granular finish though. I was skeptical, but I *really* like this building from this angle. But it does beg some questions:

1. If a building has one strong facet, but the rest of it is weaker, is it a failure? Or is okay to focus on a statment facade?

2. Would this one side of Telus be as impactful if the other angles were as ornate/interesting?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 7:47 PM

I actually like the west facade better, because it's plainer / cleaner, but the balconies on the west side would have been better with tinted glass or more frit to emphasize the horizontal banding - like a number of Toronto-style towers.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 3:18 AM

Welcome home.

Of course, they're not open yet. I took this pic a little while ago through the fence along Richards Street.

March 18 '16, my pic

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 9:38 AM

Thanks.

That's the same sliding door I saw on the Robson side.

Now that I look at the pic, that sliding door provides only a narrow opening, since only one side opens (i.e. versus double doors).

Can anyone else think of a condo tower that has a vestibule with two consecutive sets of doors like that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver