HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 2:12 AM

they are doing some work at the north road overpass - looks like they are adding colums to the south of the over pass?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 3:11 AM

Pretty bumper to bumper lights... lol...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 5:38 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pretty pic from the webcam tonight - 6:00pm Saturday Feb 19th:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That pic almost makes it seem like both directions are jammed

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 12:25 AM

I think they are both jammed.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 2:00 AM

there was a really bad accident near langley wasn't there? they had to airlift some people out

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
This article seems surprisingly ahead of its time. I'm with crazyjoeda in that I didn't realize that they gave any thought to suburban sprawl back in the 60s. I would've guessed the term "suburban sprawl" had been coined much later.
It's interesting to see just how progressive Vancouver was even in the 60s. I'd like to see newspaper articles of when Seattle first built their freeways to see what criticsm, if any, people had for comparison.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 8:55 PM

That sounds about right... the North side of that overpass can already support 4 lanes - I expect the Brunette climbing lane will end just shy of the overpass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they are doing some work at the north road overpass - looks like they are adding colums to the south of the over pass?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
It's interesting to see just how progressive Vancouver was even in the 60s. I'd like to see newspaper articles of when Seattle first built their freeways to see what criticsm, if any, people had for comparison.

Just a thought: when Seattle built their first freeways (back in the 1950s if I am correct), was that not part of Dwight Eisenhower's massive "Interstate Highway" system, inaugurated in 1953, that had freeways (usually eight lanes in the cities) criss-crossing America, as part of 'the American Dream'(sic)?

Oil was fairly inexpensive then, and nobody (at least in the USA) seemed to realize it would ever run out. Freeways, like the tangle that criss-crosses Los Angeles, were designed to link city-to-city, suburb-to-suburb; owning a car was the natural thing, and mass transit (except in NYC and Chicago mainly) was limited to those cities.

What I'm saying is that at the time, freeways seemed all well and good, a house in the suburbs was most people's dream, and the massive problems of urban sprawl and choking traffic had not yet manifested themselves.

At least in the USA, it seemed a totally different mentality, a totally different vision of the future - even the long term future.
Or am I wrong?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
That sounds about right... the North side of that overpass can already support 4 lanes - I expect the Brunette climbing lane will end just shy of the overpass?
Plus there'll be a couple of extra lanes for the transit ramps to Government Road to the west.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
It's interesting to see just how progressive Vancouver was even in the 60s.
OTOH, if ya look a little closer at one of the articles this jumps out:

Quote:
[Highways Minister] Gaglardi did not comment on a suggestion by [Vancouver mayor] Rathie that the city "was anticipating your next announcement of a highway to connect with downtown Vancouver and West Vancouver."
That was in reference to a new freeway connection from Hwy 1, through east Vancouver and the downtown core, with a new third crossing to the north shore. The year was 1964, several years prior to the great freeway debates of '67/'68.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 1:22 AM

Quote:
ah its very close to the skytrain column

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 10:21 AM

Is anyone else as astounded by the height of the two center columns as I am?

Where do they currently stand for tallest freestanding objects in the lower mainland ?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 7:15 PM
ON3P Skis

I believe they will be in the top 3 for Vancouver, somewhere in the 550' - 600' range if I remember correctly? I'm sure it has been mentioned in this thread, just waaaay back.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 8:42 PM

Not quite as tall as Shangri-La. Maybe they look tall because they are so skinny.

Quote:
Pylons reach a height of about 160 m (524 ft) over the water, with the upper 40 meters (131 ft) reserved for the stay anchorage housings made of a composite steel concrete structure.
http://www.ibtengineers.com/PROJECTS...ortmann-1.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:36 PM

A question that may be difficult to answer.

I know the new bridge is light rail ready, but is there the option of running emu commuter trains under the bridge? Or is the grade too steep, or are there physical limitations?

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
That appears to be the plan...

http://www.pmh1project.com/inforoom/...nceConcept.pdf

And apparently, Brunette interchange may not change very much at all, just the lengthening of the two loop off ramps and that's about it...

http://www.pmh1project.com/inforoom/...playBoards.pdf

Anyway, update on the Lougheed overpass! Just three girders have been put on, I think about six? more need to go on.

Oh and the start of the HOV lanes have been moved back east closer to the bridge.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 11:14 PM

Great shot!

WRT LRT on the bridge - forummers have said it is engineered to support two tracks suspended under the deck of the bridge - but I haven't seen anything that specific published in writing anywhere (just the general "designed to accommodate future LRT" type of statement, without details as to "how".)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 12:09 AM

Looks like the Grandview exit is finally detoured.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 5:06 AM

Hello
I had a brief chance today to take some pics today in the sun.

They are not of the ramps (sorry) but it is a very cool and unique point of the project nonetheless.

Currently, the gantry crane putting together the north approach is directly overhead of the United Boulevard with many segments suspended above the traffic. Let me just say many are rubber necking it today! (Also it is scary looking through my sunroof to the concrete mass hanging above me as I wait to go on Mary Hill).

Here are my pics!

All pics my own, here in my flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/

Cheers

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 6:05 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Article about tolling and the port mann and red ink

Quote:
Despite growing evidence motorists will drive out of their way to avoid tolls, the provincial government is counting on many more drivers paying to cross the tolled Port Mann Bridge than it currently carries for free.
And if that optimistic forecast fails to materialize, the pricey project may gush red ink for years to come.
The new 10-lane bridge is expected to rake in $175 million in tolls in its first full year of operations in 2013, according to numbers tabled this month with the provincial budget.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_v...116879748.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure