HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:16 AM

@Blitz, I agree with your point about Park. Her main issue for running was opposing the Fincore development across from her place on South St. and how she perceived it would negatively affect her property/area. She posted on the Fincore development forum here about it. Hopefully she shows a willingness to developing the area, as well as other places downtown, and not a NIMBY voice on council. She's said planning is her priority on council, and is "interested" in the developments of Middlesex Health Unit and In-fill at Central & Waterloo.

I don't know what "interest" she has, and hopefully it leads to smarter development and in-fill than NIMBYs and no-fill. I'll give the benefit of the doubt until the issues are raised and see what points and discussion are raised.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:38 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I'm a bit concerned about the lack of overall experience and I'm not sure Park was the best choice for the downtown ward but we'll see what happens and hope for the best.
Nowhere to go but up.

If things actually got worse, well that would be one heck of an achievement.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:35 AM

Out of curiosity, who would you have voted for ward 13/downtown? I personally placed Park as a distant third in my choices and was surprised she won so handedly after seeing her lacklustre displays in the all-candidates meetings. I suspect she won on name recognition and an appealing website, despite a lack of substance.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:49 PM

Park wasn't very impressive in the debates / candidate meetings. I felt the only one who was 'city council material' was Winninger. He doesn't live in the ward though and that probably hurt him.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Nowhere to go but up.

If things actually got worse, well that would be one heck of an achievement.
Which is what I'm excited for. A fresh, new and young council. People who are willing to learn, try out some new things, and hopefully bring potential back into the city of London.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 3:16 PM
User Registered

New council sworn in during the largest ever city council meeting: http://www.lfpress.com/2014/12/01/a-...vention-centre

It's easy to have high expectations for the new council based on how bad the old one was. Hopefully they can deliver.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 9:32 AM
Downtown

What's the best way to get involved in local politics? London's boards and committees?

Anyone here on any committees?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
What's the best way to get involved in local politics? London's boards and committees?

Anyone here on any committees?
Low-level committees are one way. There are also citizen advisory committees that don't have any real power but can give some good experience and get your name out there. Community associations are also a good starting place.

Fair warning however: like any other club or association these things tend to be dominated by stronger personalities and they can tend to have cliques. It just seems to be human nature.

OR: you can just be a wealthy businessman and try to go from no experience or understanding of municipal government to mayor in one step by financing your own election campaign.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:22 PM
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Low-level committees are one way. There are also citizen advisory committees that don't have any real power but can give some good experience and get your name out there. Community associations are also a good starting place.
Seems like a good option. I imagine having experience on these committees would help if one was ever to campaign for ward councilor, the next logical step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
OR: you can just be a wealthy businessman and try to go from no experience or understanding of municipal government to mayor in one step by financing your own election campaign.
Slowly working on this one, will let you know how it goes

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 2:24 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Sounds like Paul Cheng, who in the last mayoral race came a distant second behind Matt Brown (but way ahead of the chronically inept Joe Swan), despite having absolutely zero political credentials.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 2:00 PM
User Registered

The following News Release was issued this yesterday:

City of London

February 14, 2017

City Council announced tonight that City Manager Art Zuidema is no longer with the City of London effective February 14, 2017.

Council thanked Mr. Zuidema for his leadership during the last five years and wished him well with future endeavors.

Council also announced that Martin Hayward, Managing Director of Corporate Services, City Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer, has been appointed Acting City Manager.

-----

Does this mean his BRT recommendation can be reassessed? Or is it too late to change our minds?

EDIT: Free Press article: http://www.lfpress.com/2017/02/14/ar...council-debate

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Feb 15, 2017 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Does this mean his BRT recommendation can be reassessed? Or is it too late to change our minds?

EDIT: Free Press article: http://www.lfpress.com/2017/02/14/ar...council-debate
We can only hope...never was terribly fond of Art's concepts to be honest

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 7:14 PM

"It is dead because Western refuses to allow it on campus and the govt has a BRT business plan" -- Phil Squire in an email with me. He also said there's no way to expropriate Western property to force the city's will on them. Western, it seems, is untouchable and calling all the shots.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
"It is dead because Western refuses to allow it on campus and the govt has a BRT business plan" -- Phil Squire in an email with me. He also said there's no way to expropriate Western property to force the city's will on them. Western, it seems, is untouchable and calling all the shots.
So don't run it through campus then, simple solution. I do not see why the city is catering to Western, quite sad that they are making demands publicly rather than trying to work with the city to develop the best solution.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
So don't run it through campus then, simple solution. I do not see why the city is catering to Western, quite sad that they are making demands publicly rather than trying to work with the city to develop the best solution.
I agree. I'm getting sick of Western and them acting like they run this city. Honestly London should cut them off, I would never give them money for anything and not include them in anything. Build the LRT around the campus and even take all the buses out of campus too, see how western likes that.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 11:35 PM

Don't understand why the City cannot expropriate Western land. The City can apply to relocate a cemetery if it is deemed in societies interest. Mind you got to have one hell of a business case to get approval to move graves but it can be done with the stroke of a cabinet ministers pen.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
We can only hope...never was terribly fond of Art's concepts to be honest
I'm glad the bugger's gone. He was a bean-counter and a prick who ran roughshod over all kinds of people in City Hall who didn't deserve to be treated that way. He also killed off any chance London had of ever building an advanced public transit system that would have attracted young people and newcomers to the city.

Despite not being an elected official, he clearly held the levers of power in City Hall, and I am both surprised and disturbed to see that Motel Matt lacked the fortitude to stand up to him and remind him who was boss. No unelected official within any city government should have that kind of power, or be able to hold sway over the activities of all city officials the way he did.

A city manager has but one major role, and that is to follow the wishes and orders of the elected officials and to manage the day-to-day, operational affairs of a city.

As a secondary role, he should function in an advisory role so that the elected officials have accurate information about the city's resources and capabilities so that appropriate decisions can be made. Under no circumstances should the city manager issue orders or demands to elected officials. Nor should he manipulate data or other information the elected officials need in an effort to usurp power or prevent the elected representatives from carrying out the will of the people who elected them.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:22 PM

A used car dealership in front of bud gardens. I would say I am against this...

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...-17-Notice.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:16 PM

Who comes up with these sketchy ideas? Less cars downtown would be better. More biking and walking please.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:38 PM

Truly sad that we have 3 councilors still arguing about Fluoride in drinking water. Whats next? Anti-Vaxer arguments?

They wasted council and committee time talking about this is pathetic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy