HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:05 AM

Since bike riders are moving further out, build a light rail line parallel with a existing one. Have them close enough to bike from in the center between the lines, then build buildings that are for bikes there in between. At the light rail stops have big areas to park your bike.

the Powell or division train if it gets built and the burnside max would be perfect. Or have a subway that can fit as many people as two short light rail train. I like the subway more. That's my idea

Edit: crap I haven't been to Portland for a while, I forgot how far those two streets are from each other. Then maybe put the bike buildings( circular buildings with spiral bike paths in the middle) downtown

Last edited by dubu; Apr 22, 2017 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Portland actually has a lot of funded projects for high quality bike infrastructure in downtown:
  • Flanders Bridge over I-405
  • Sullivan's Crossing over I-84
  • Central City Multimodal Project ($8 million allocated, projects TBD)
  • West Burnside & 18th / 19th protected intersection
  • SW Bond, from the Tilikum Crossing to River Parkway, with a protected bike lane
  • Extension of NW 20th under Highway 30, including protected bike lanes
  • Repaving of Naito/Front north of NW 9th, which will include new (painted) bike lanes

It's frustrating how long how long it's taking for some of these to get off the ground, but when they do they'll make a big difference.

Looking further ahead, the new SDC list for the next 10 years, published today, also includes these projects as SDC eligible:
  • Willamette Greenway Trail, $2,500,000: Provide two paths in order to separate bicyclists from pedestrians in remaining gaps of South Waterfront's Willamette Greenway trail.
  • NW Naito/Front Corridor Improvements (9th - 21st), $3,608,417: Construct multimodal safety and access improvements including sidewalk infill, protected bike lanes, signal improvements, and lane modifications.
  • Bond Ave Extension, Phase 2, $16,000,000: Extend SW Bond one-way northbound from SW Whitaker to Porter, extend Portland Streetcar service north of the Tram, and convert Moody to one-way southbound operation to form a couplet
  • I-405 South Portland Crossing Improvements, $5,000,000: Improve opportunities for people walking and bicycling to cross I-405 on Harbor Dr, Naito Pkwy, 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and Broadway.
  • SW Broadway Bikeway and Streetscape Improvements, $1,500,000: Enhances the existing protected bikeway and sidewalks on SW Broadway adjacent to Portland State University. Includes the construction of a raised bikeway, sidewalk amenities, green street features, ADA improvements, pedestrian islands, curb bulb-outs, and a full signal at Harrison.
  • NE Multnomah Protected Bikeway, $2,000,000: Construct permanent improvements to the NE Multnomah St protected bikeway, including pedestrian islands and transit islands.
  • Broadway/ Weidler Corridor Improvements, Phase 1, $9,000,000: Enhance existing bike lanes and improve pedestrian/bicycle crossings. Add traffic signals, improve signal timing, improve transit stops, and construct streetscape improvements.
  • Central City Multimodal Improvements, Phase 2, $20,000,000: Construct high-priority bikeways, pedestrian improvements, and transit priority treatments in the Central City.
  • Inner Hawthorne Multimodal Corridor Improvements, $2,000,000: Construct an eastbound protected bikeway with transit islands to improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and comfort as well as transit operational efficiency. Explore feasibility of eastbound bus only lane as part of project design.
This is an impressive list. I can't wait to ride the The Broadway/Weidler PBL and Central City PBLs in particular (I thought the NE 7th bridge was in design phase? Not funded?). I agree with many of PBOTs initiatives and projects, and find them one of the most promising DOTs I have communicated with (in the US). I understand also their hands are often tied by political forces I do not understand.

However, I find their oft-used "lack of funds" reasoning somewhat deceitful. I observe a similar functional effect, with paint and sometimes a few pots. For example, the Jay St PBL in Brooklyn, and the NE Multnomah PBL in Portland. Add paint and pots: Instant PBL. If PBOT asked for paint donations to create a PBL on SW Broadway, it would be done in a week. There's no lack of advocates in Pland. A very nice can of paint and removal of one of the 3! car lanes would have allowed families to ride through downtown a decade ago. All Pland needs is leadership.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 10:11 PM

Potential bike/ped bridge types for NE 7th Ave across Sullivan's Gulch. I vote "Reach".

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 1:11 PM

I tend to prefer "Weave" myself. But all of the options are appealing to me. This bike/ped connection is going to do wonders for that area of the city.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 5:22 PM

All these designs look pretty nice and architecturally special. I prefer the one that will most likely be built with the funds they allocated. These sketch studies often tend to create excitement without too much thought of $$.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:58 AM
A before E

Reach is my favorite, but in reality I prefer the one that can get built.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:17 PM

This may need its own thread. A pedestrian/bike bridge has a chance in Clackamas Co. between LO and Oak Grove.

Bikeportland

Tribune

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
This may need its own thread. A pedestrian/bike bridge has a chance in Clackamas Co. between LO and Oak Grove.

Bikeportland

Tribune
Agreed! For the time being, the chatter is here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...125745&page=10

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:50 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/erry...2box_targeted_

Quote:
Check out Portland’s next car-free bridge design
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive | Posted May 31, 2018 at 11:59 AM | Updated May 31, 2018 at 11:59 AM

A rendering of what the bridge could look like looking west toward downtown (Courtesy of PBOT)

A rending of the north landing area of the Sullivan's Crossing (Courtesy of PBOT)

Designs for a new pedestrian and bicycling bridge spanning Interstate 84 in Portland are starting to take shape.

Portland’s Design Commission will discuss the latest designs at its June 7 meeting, the second briefing this year on the car-free bridge.

The Sullivan’s Crossing, an estimated $13.5 million bridge connecting the Lloyd and Central Eastside Industrial Districts, will span the freeway and connect to Northeast 7th Avenue on both sides.

Construction could begin July 2019 and last until December 2020, according to city records.

The close-in neighborhoods are separated by the freeway, and pedestrian and bike access are limited. The new span will be capable of handling emergency vehicles if necessary.

According to city documents, the basic structure and form of the Sullivan’s Crossing have already been determined. The Design Commission will give feedback and advice on the color of the bridge and lighting as well as “urban design elements at the north landing.”
...(continues)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 1:50 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 2:32 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...ngressman.html

Quote:

Earl Blumenauer bridge? Portland commits to naming new bike and pedestrian bridge after congressman
Updated Apr 26, 5:02 PM; Posted Apr 26, 5:00 PM
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland Commissioner Chloe Eudaly said this week that she plans to name a new bike and pedestrian-only bridge spanning Interstate 84 after U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer.

Eudaly, the city’s transportation commissioner, made the announcement Thursday night at the nonprofit Classroom Law Project’s annual dinner. Bike Portland first reported on the news. Blumenauer was at the meeting to receive a civic leadership award and was unaware of Eudaly’s plan.

The $13 million bike and pedestrian bridge expected to break ground this August has been known for years through the design and planning stages as the Sullivan’s Crossing. The bridge will connect the Central Eastside Industrial and Lloyd districts at Seventh Avenue, offering a new connection for pedestrians and cyclists between the close-in Northeast and Southeast neighborhoods. It’s expected to open by December 2020.
...(continues)

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 7:55 PM

DAR Drawings [7 MB] and Memo the Design Commission for the Blumenauer bridge (née Sullivan's Crossing).

They're at 95% design, so IDK what the purpose of a Design Advice Request meeting is.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 11:16 PM

Drawings and memo to the Design Commission for the Flanders Crossing.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
DAR Drawings [7 MB] and Memo the Design Commission for the Blumenauer bridge (née Sullivan's Crossing).

They're at 95% design, so IDK what the purpose of a Design Advice Request meeting is.
Summary memo

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 11:06 PM
A before E

Quote:
Drawings and memo to the Design Commission for the Flanders Crossing.
The Hi-diddly-ho Bridge looks good, very simple functional design. It sucks that the old Sauvie Island Bridge wasn't used for this.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:40 PM

Flanders' Crossing

I'd like to see how they get bicycles across 3 lanes of NW 16th here. That feat will probably require some new traffic lights and lots of striping.
The bridge is on the east and the bike lane is on the west side of 16th. Traffic coming off and going onto I-405 is heavy at Flanders and chris-crossing the lanes like crazy. There's considerable traffic coming off I-405 on the east that tries to turn west onto Flanders and traffic from the west lane on 16th trying to get over to turn east on Glisan or get onto I-405.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
I'd like to see how they get bicycles across 3 lanes of NW 16th here. That feat will probably require some new traffic lights and lots of striping.
The bridge is on the east and the bike lane is on the west side of 16th. Traffic coming off and going onto I-405 is heavy at Flanders and chris-crossing the lanes like crazy. There's considerable traffic coming off I-405 on the east that tries to turn west onto Flanders and traffic from the west lane on 16th trying to get over to turn east on Glisan or get onto I-405.
They're installing a traffic light at NW 16th and Flanders (as well as at NW 14th and at NW Broadway). There will be a diverter at NW 17th and Flanders, so that bikes can go straight but cars can't use it as a cut-through route. Lastly, they're re-configuring the Everett / Glisan offramp to be two lanes, and (if memory serves correctly) allowing right turns onto Glisan from the off-ramp through separate signal phases.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:14 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...s-forever.html
Quote:
Northbound Naito Parkway will have one lane for cars forever
Updated Aug 8, 6:18 PM; Posted Aug 8, 2:12 PM
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Ever since Portland first experimented with a protected two-way bike and walking path on Naito Parkway in 2015, crews removed the physical barriers and returned northbound traffic to two lanes for motorists come fall.

Never again.

Transportation officials confirmed this week that they won’t remove the plastic bollards on Naito Parkway between the Hawthorne and Steel bridges along Gov. Tom McCall Waterfront Park at the end of September this year.

That means northbound travel lanes will continue to be shared: One lane for cars and trucks, and a separate protected lane for bikes, scooters and pedestrians.

In some ways, the city has already prepared travelers for the new normal on Naito.

Crews installed Better Naito, the name for the no-longer-seasonal path, in late January this year rather than the customary May opening to give cyclists and pedestrians another route because of the months-long closure of the Eastbank Esplanade.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:24 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/20...-upgrades.html

Quote:
Travel & Outdoors
Portland’s Gateway Green bike park reopens with new upgrades
Updated Dec 15, 2020; Posted Dec 15, 2020
By Rosemarie Stein | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland’s Gateway Green, an outdoor destination on the east side, has reopened after the completion of improvements, including new paved and unpaved trails, accessibility upgrades, restrooms, and drinking fountains.

Portland Parks & Recreation installed several new inclusive features to better welcome cyclists of varying skill levels and physical abilities in the 25-acre park near the Gateway District. Gateway Green offers off-road cycling and other outdoor recreation in East Portland. It’s just east of Rocky Butte, and is straddled by Interstates 205 and 84. The park can be accessed via a bike/pedestrian path that flows through the park.

Portland Parks Commissioner Amanda Fritz called Gateway Green “a truly unique park,” in a recent release. “These improvements have enhanced natural habitat as well as providing more options for active and passive recreation,” she said.

Gateway Green’s newest features include:
  • Improved trails and paths, including a new gravity-oriented mountain bike trail
  • Habitat improvements and plantings
  • An asphalt pump track nearly 600 feet long
  • Improved park utilities, including drinking water and restrooms
...(continues)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure