HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Icon Bay Halifax in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I think the proposal is very attractive, but in the wrong location. The original proposal of two 9 storey apartment buildings was better IMO.
Were there ever any renderings of this? It would be nice to be able to compare.

Quote:
I rather see this new proposal in area where we need density i.e. the core.
I agree. As nice as the tower is, it would be much better to see it in a more walkable environment.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 7:29 AM
we built this city

Quote:
I think the proposal is very attractive, but in the wrong location. The original proposal of two 9 storey apartment buildings was better IMO.

I rather see this new proposal in area where we need density i.e. the core.
BOOOOOO

We need density everywhere... this is a perfect node for it.... especially if we get light rail or a dedicated bus for the railcut.

This is an amazing project and design and will compliment the Trillium downtown.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:05 AM

Bedford highrise project goes before council today
By PAT LEE Staff Reporter
Tue. Mar 23 - 6:55 AM

The skyline of the Bedford Highway could be a step clos­er to changing after tonight’s council meeting.

In a bit of administrative housekeeping, Halifax re­gional council is expected to give first reading to proposed amendments to the munici­pal planning strategy and land use bylaws to move along a project to build a 19-storey hotel or office and residential complex on the Bedford High­way.

The next step will be to hold a public hearing on the amendments, likely in April.

The application comes from developer Basin Vista De­velopments , headed by Youssef Ghosn, which wants to build on the site of the former Bay­view Motor Inn.

Cesar Saleh, an engineer with W.M. Fares Group of Hali­fax, which is acting on behalf of Basin Vista, said Monday the last time the proposal went before the public, it was generally well received.

“We had a public informa­tion meeting (last year) and the first meeting went fairly well," he said.

The complex will have a “vi­sually interesting" oval design that Saleh thinks will comple­ment the skyline in that part of town.

“It’s a very attractive build­ing and it works with the site," he said.

Earlier, the developer had proposed constructing two, nine-storey multi-use proper­ties.

Assuming approvals move along, Saleh said work could begin this time next year.

While part of the develop­ment could be earmarked for hotel space, he said the develop­er has not yet named a potential partner from that industry.

Located at 50 Bedford High­way, the steep sloping property is next to the Atlantic Acura car dealership.

At the public information meeting held last April, some in attendance expressed con­cern about increased traffic along the already congested Bedford Highway.

Others were concerned about the height of the building block­ing views of the basin.

Saleh said Monday the oval shape should help to diminish blocked views.

“It’s a small footprint to allow as little obstruction for the sur­rounding area as well," Saleh said.

“People will be able to see around the building. It’s not a massive brick wall."

( plee@herald.ca )

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:52 PM

I hope this goes through tonight, but it probably wont.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 3:07 PM

Tonight is only the first reading. There is no real reason for it not to proceed at this stage.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 5:24 PM

I really hope this project goes threw, It would look great in that area although I would rather it somewhere downtown.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I really hope this project goes threw, It would look great in that area although I would rather it somewhere downtown.
Was it just first reading and scheduling a public hearing or did the public hearing occur?

Here in Calgary - we do all 3 readings the same day; so the public reading happens at the same time as 1st and 3rd readings. I don't know why, but they do it that way. Granted our public hearings start at 9:30 and go to 9:30 (and then start again at 1pm the next day if need be).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 6:04 PM

This was only the first reading. I think the public hearing was scheduled for the end of next month some time.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This was only the first reading. I think the public hearing was scheduled for the end of next month some time.
April 20th to be exact.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 12:24 PM

Old burial ground may halt tower plan
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Sat. Mar 27 - 4:54 AM

Centuries-old French and Mi’kmaq burial grounds could derail a 19-storey development planned for the Bedford Highway.

Basin Vista Developments Ltd. wants to build a residential tower on the site of the former Bayview Motor Inn at the Halifax end of the Bedford Highway. But an archeological study that Basin Vista commissioned raises some major concerns.

"The area . . . has high potential as the site of part of a French military encampment in 1746 and may have been host to French or Mi’kmaq burials," says a report prepared by Davis Archaeological Consultants Ltd., now known as Davis MacIntyre & Associates Ltd. of Dartmouth. "It is recommended that professional archeologists be on-site during mechanical excavation of the cultural soils on the site during its redevelopment."

Are developers allowed to build on old burial grounds in Nova Scotia?

"Typically no," April MacIntyre, one of the archeologists who compiled the report, said Friday.

"There is a piece of legislation called the Cemeteries Protection Act which protects burial grounds, whether they’re pre-contact First Nations or historic period cemeteries. So it would protect consecrated ground as well as earlier First Nations stuff."

If any signs of burial grounds are found at the site, the heritage division of the provincial Tourism, Culture and Heritage Department will make the final call as to whether the development can go ahead, said MacIntyre, a partner with Davis MacIntyre & Associates.

"If they did happen to discover any human remains there, then the excavation would be halted right away and we would confer with the heritage division on what would happen next," she said.

Large projects have been halted in Nova Scotia before because of the presence of burial grounds, MacIntyre said.

"There was one a few years ago in Port Hawkesbury (in 2005) where I think the town was building a sewage treatment plant and they were warned before time that there was a historic burial ground there. And lo and behold, as they started excavating for the sewage treatment plant, they ended up discovering a couple of graves.

"They had to move across the street."

Archeologists will be on hand when excavation of the former motel site on the Bedford Highway starts next spring, said Cesar Saleh, an engineer with the W.M. Fares Group of Halifax, which is acting on behalf of Basin Vista.

Saleh said he isn’t sure what will happen if evidence of a burial ground is discovered.

"Anything further would be under their direction," he said of the archeologists.

The origins of the potential problem now facing the highrise development date back 266 years. After New Englanders captured Fortress Louisbourg in 1744, the French sent Duc D’Anville across the Atlantic with a fleet of 37 warships and 34 transport vessels to recapture Acadia.

The fleet, "battered by storms and delayed by calms," limped into Halifax three months later, according to the archeologists’ report.

"By this time, the men were suffering the ill effects of scurvy, typhoid and dysentery. With several thousand men dead, the surviving members of the fleet put ashore between Fairview and Rockingham along the (Bedford) Basin. They camped on the shore for a time, (and) buried their dead where they could in the rocky soil.

Perhaps adding to Basin Vista’s predicament, there may be Mi’kmaq graves at the site, too.

"Around this time (mid-18th century), some of the local Mi’kmaq are said to have dug up some of the sailors’ bodies and stolen their clothing, from which they became infected with typhoid," the report says.

"It is also possible that they became infected merely by trading with the French encampment. The disease then spread, killing a large portion of the natives in the area."

A native burial ground is believed to be in the same location, the report says.

"What they should be doing, actually, in my opinion, is determining if in fact there was such a thing," Dan Paul, a Mi’kmaq historian, said Friday.

"And if they do, then I would imagine that they should be consulting with our chiefs before they go any further."

Any burial ground found at the site should be recognized in some way, said Jean Leger, executive director of the Acadian Federation of Nova Scotia.

( clambie@herald.ca )

I of course respect cemeteries and all but how exactly does a former excavation pit have bodies buried under it? You'd think they would of dug up anybodies when the excavated the rock from the area.

Also they found a body at 6955 Bayers that didn't halt construction permnamently so I have high hopes that the same will happen here.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 3:32 PM

Well if there is an actual cemetary on site they're screwed, but if it's just one or two graves maybe they'll be okay.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 4:43 AM
Honored Member

The allnovascotia.com is reporting that the 50 Bedford Highway Bayview Motel Inn Tower will proceed in the spring 2011. This looks like 21-22 storeys on top of a 2-3 storey podium. It looks like the tallest to be built in Halifax in many years. It might not be beaten until the 32 storey King's Wharf tower is built.

They are building on the site of past developments so they don't expect to have problems with unmarked graves as has been reported.

The rendering that the allnovascotia.com posted is the one below (re-posted from Jonovision's posting of March 20 2009.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 4:56 AM

^While I am confident it will be approved they might be jumping the gun on this one.

The public hearing is on Tuesday.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^While I am confident it will be approved they might be jumping the gun on this one.

The public hearing is on Tuesday.
Right, I missed that. Allnovascotia.com reported that 5 councillors on the Chebucto Community Council voted to push this one ahead. If the regional council rejects it on Tuesday, then there is something seriously wrong with the regional council. In spite of all the strange things that happen in the HRM, I can't imagine that happening.

PS: It is interesting to note that several exciting new proposals are off the peninsula. Could this have something to do with the difficulties of developing in downtown Halifax? Will Halifax end up being a quaint historic city surrounded by a booming modern metropolis? In my mind I see the peninsula surrounded by tall ultra-modern skyscrapers in Dartmouth and the mainland Halifax area.

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 16, 2010 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 8:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Partly I think it's easier to develop but partly I also think it's just a symptom that the city is getting bigger. There are many areas now off the peninsula that are densely developed and have high land values.

In cities like Toronto and Vancouver it's common to have highrise residential buildings throughout the metropolitan area.

I have no problem with projects like this one, and I actually think it's kind of cool that there will be lots of highrise buildings around the basin (possibly more at Birch Cove).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 10:11 PM

This is up at council currently. Sloane asked where the waste water would go, Halifax or Bedford. When the answer was Halifax she said "of course", rolled her eyes and flopped back into her seat without giving any reason for her concern, typically childish behavior from her. So far from the general public there is only one person concerned, he is concerned about the traffic and wants it studied more. The condo president from the brick building behind was only concerned about blasting but was relieved to hear that they have do protection. He raised a good point that they would need a costly pre-examination of their building so they know where is stands before so it can be compared with the final condition of the building. Its up to councilors to debate it now...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 10:18 PM

She keeps bringing up points that really have nothing to do with the development, and that are false. Really makes me wonder why shes still in office.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 10:21 PM

^Sounds like Dawn's going against it (sewage plant and traffic).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 10:24 PM

Good old Outhit. He just owned Dawn!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 10:26 PM

Looks like most support the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs