HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 1:43 AM

Just a concept but concepts are really the only time we see creativity from local architects - Portland Concert Hall:

Last edited by Sioux612; Sep 19, 2016 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:22 AM

Interesting read...

1964 Delta Dome campaign promised pro football in Portland, but Lyndon Johnson attack hurt effort
Posted December 05, 2017 at 07:11 AM | Updated December 05, 2017 at 07:15 AM
Douglas Perry

http://www.oregonlive.com/history/20...art_river_home

Quote:
Portland has the Trail Blazers, the Timbers and the Thorns, but still no top-level football, baseball or hockey team.

Back in 1964, many Rose City visionaries thought their town’s sports future would be very different than it turned out.

At the time, Portland was seeking to become the dominant professional-sports city in the Pacific Northwest. And for a while there, it looked like it might happen.

The reason: Delta Dome.

With a state-of-the-art covered stadium, boosters believed, major-league franchises would rush to put down stakes in Portland. Even the Summer Olympics was considered a real possibility.

But the Delta Dome didn’t happen, allowing Seattle to take the lead in the region. Portland’s rival built the Kingdome in the early 1970s and landed the football and baseball teams that Rose City fans had hoped to lure.

The Delta Dome plan called for a covered stadium in Delta Park. This had been the site of Vanport City, a massive, makeshift housing project built for shipyard workers during the early days of World War II. The neighborhood was wiped out in 1948, displacing some 18,000 residents, when flood waters breached the dikes holding the Columbia River back from the low-lying area.

An unnamed civil engineer promoting Delta Dome in 1964 insisted Delta Park was the perfect place for a stadium. “The likelihood of another flood is extremely slim,” the engineer wrote, “because of the nine dams now in use on the Columbia, and the planned work on diking by the Corps of Engineers.”

The proposed $25 million stadium was initially supposed to seat 46,000 spectators, with plans to later expand capacity to 80,000, “even 100,000!” Portlanders would speed to the stadium, boosters said, on the city’s “new freeway system.”

If approved by voters in 1964, the stadium was expected to be completed by 1968.
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:51 AM
A before E

I am torn on the Delta Dome, on one hand I am happy it didn't get built, on the other hand it would have been cool to watch them blow it up once it became obsolete. Though not as cool as blowing up a whale on the coast, but still cool.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 12:31 AM

Delta Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Interesting read...

1964 Delta Dome campaign promised pro football in Portland, but Lyndon Johnson attack hurt effort
Posted December 05, 2017 at 07:11 AM | Updated December 05, 2017 at 07:15 AM
Douglas Perry

http://www.oregonlive.com/history/20...art_river_home

...(continues)
I remember this when I was a teenager. I was disappointed that it was voted down. At that time we weren't able to vote until we were 21 so I wasn't close to being able to make my opinion known.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 12:38 AM

Coliseum Gardens

I'm a Portland native born at the original St Vincent Hospital in NW Portland - torn down years ago. I was a teenager in the 60's when buildings like the Hilton, Standard Plaza, Portland Center, etc... were going up. I remember a large billboard on NE Union (MLK) showing a project to be built near the Memorial Coliseum. It was called "Coliseum Gardens" & it included high-rise apartments & office buildings. As it turned out, only Calaroga Terrace was built. I've looked for years for information on it but have come up short. If anyone out there is able to find it I would love seeing it again.
Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 7:07 PM

This and The Weave falling through stings.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 10:58 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post

I forgot about this building, that's a shame that this never got built. This tower would have looked really good in that location and really would have helped build up that East Burn skyline. The plus side with that site is eventually something along this size will get built there because anything smaller wouldn't make any sense.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 4:32 PM

Anyone remember the plan for a Bridge that would span the Willamette and be just for Retail shops and markets? It had a huge PORTLAND sign over it. Always thought it was a cool ideal. The James Beard Market would have fit perfect on it, IMO. Wouldn't hurt tourism either . There was a rendering of it as well.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 10:37 PM
not qualified to comment

After a little digging, found this article from 2008:

https://www.landscapeandurbanism.com...e-to-commerce/

(Above images via Path Architecture)

Is this what you were thinking, Tykendo? I don't see a big "Portland" sign on it, so maybe there were multiple proposals.

Looks interesting, but as a proposed new pedestrian/transit only crossing, I'm happy with what we ended up getting in the form of the Tillikum Crossing.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:55 AM
A before E

I want to say that was mostly just a PSU Architecture Department project. I remember a class working on something like that one quarter around that time. I didn't think there was any real proposal for a market bridge like that.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post

Damn, I didn’t even know this was proposed. Such a shame it isn’t to be.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I forgot about this building, that's a shame that this never got built. This tower would have looked really good in that location and really would have helped build up that East Burn skyline. The plus side with that site is eventually something along this size will get built there because anything smaller wouldn't make any sense.
Something smaller is currently being proposed, as of a 9/26 pre-app conference...

Quote:
Construction of an 8-story hotel and associated public improvements. Guestroom count is expected to be 168 keys. Gross building square footage is expected to be 104,330+/-. Stormwater disposal methods: it is required to provide a 100% eco-roof, with up to 40% exemptions allowed for mechanical and rooftop equipment. However, if the total provided is 70% (or more), all management can be met and direct discharge to the public systems is allowed. Proposal is targeting a minimum of 70% eco-roof.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyjoe View Post
After a little digging, found this article from 2008:

https://www.landscapeandurbanism.com...e-to-commerce/

(Above images via Path Architecture)

Is this what you were thinking, Tykendo? I don't see a big "Portland" sign on it, so maybe there were multiple proposals.

Looks interesting, but as a proposed new pedestrian/transit only crossing, I'm happy with what we ended up getting in the form of the Tillikum Crossing.
No, but a great find, none the less. Thank You. No it was definitely a retail walking bridge, with a arched PORTLAND over it. Also there was a Arena rendering from the early 80's with an arena half built over the Willamette River, to the west of Memorial Coliseum that was interesting as well. I have a Kohn Pederson Fox table book that has pictures of the proposed Morrison Tower that i need to learn how to scan into site as well

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 5:51 PM

151 SE Alder St

Pelett Park (proposed by City Liquidators) at 711 SE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.

SE 7th & Burnside

139 SE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.

2755 SE Belmont St

33 N Fargo

3922 N Williams

Walnut Park

1120 NW 21st

404 NW 23rd Ave

1126 SW 18th Ave

330 SW 10th

Clay & Tiffany Apartments

416 NW 5th Ave (New Omni Tower)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:28 AM

Original Conway Master Plan with canals

Other rendering of original Conway plan

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:41 AM
A before E

I'm kind of happy the canals idea didn't happen, they would have been such an awkward addition to that area. Though it would be nice to see a new streetcar line running through that area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I'm kind of happy the canals idea didn't happen, they would have been such an awkward addition to that area. Though it would be nice to see a new streetcar line running through that area.
I do wish there was a more prescriptive master plan. It feels like the area is missing a central focus.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:32 AM

I agree, the canals would've been out of place and character for the neighborhood. I imagine the park once complete will be a focal point, but I do wish that the pedestrian arcade between 21st and 22nd wasn't cutoff by Q21 and instead went deeper into Nob Hill/Uptown.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 6:49 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I do wish there was a more prescriptive master plan. It feels like the area is missing a central focus.
I agree, so far it hasn't had much central focus, and the similar color patterns is making many of the buildings look the same. I agree with Adam, once things get built out more, that central feel to the area might start taking shape.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 3:50 AM

Block 33 (Old Town) (125 NW 4th Ave)

245 SW Salmon St (Hyatt Unbound)

950 SW 21st Ave (Portland Towers Addition)

804 SW 12th Ave (Medical Office Building)

2250 NW Flanders St

Conway Block 292E

Pearl U Store Self Storage

420 NE Holladay St Renovation

718 NE 12th Ave (Self Storage)

510 SE Morrison St

Platform Phase 1 (1130 SE MLK Blvd)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues