HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
OK, I'll go out on a branch--or a spine--and guess it's a form of Mammillaria geminispina!
Thanks odinthor. Would it grow indoors in a pot? (next to a window)
___

Tourist snapshot from 1960 of the Half-Moon bridge in Huntington Gardens (home of Mammillaria geminispina )

ebay

Does anyone know if it's still painted red?

I used to love going to the gardens with friends. It was like a slice of Heaven on Earth

I also remember going inside to see 'Pinky' and 'Blue Boy' staring at each other from opposite sides of a large room in the library.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 3, 2016 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Definitely in a pot (all of my cacti are in pots, the earliest in my collection for about 45 or 50 years)--with very good drainage (let them dry out for a couple of weeks or a month before re-watering)--and lots of direct sun (if they're new from the nursery, you should get them used to direct sun gradually, as people propagating them often grow them under gentler conditions for purposes of success in propagation). One of the amiable things about Cacti is that "Treat me rough!" (cue Gershwin song) is their motto...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 5:48 PM

'mystery' location #1.

Here's an Original Slide from 1958, Street Car #1422, Unnamed Street.

eBay

It's too bad the slide is a bit blurry, otherwise we would have been able to read the name of the business at far right---->
__

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 5:52 PM

Here's 'mystery' #2 for this afternoon.

Original Slide 1950, Two Pacific Electric Red Cars besides a mountain of dirt. (well, not exactly a 'mountain', more like a hill)-I wonder what was excavated?

Where the previous slide was blurry, this one is crystal clear. In the distance looms the majestic Los Angeles County Hospital.

(hmmm, I wonder if that 'mountain of dirt' shows up in any vintage aerials? ---hint. for Hoss)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:52 PM

Quote:

'mystery' location #1.

Here's an Original Slide from 1958, Street Car #1422, Unnamed Street.

eBay

It's too bad the slide is a bit blurry, otherwise we would have been able to read the name of the business at far right---->
The blurry business name is the American Cancer Society which was on Western near 8th. We've visited 8th and Western several times, but the pictures I remember are proving elusive at the moment. Here's another shot taken from near Oxford Avenue from a different angle (click the link to see it full-size).

www.pacificelectric.org

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

There's a 2012 post by rcarlton about the Hotel Stowell/E Dorado which contains quite a few pictures and some history. You can find it here.
Thanks Hoss! interesting history.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:

Original Slide 1950, Two Pacific Electric Red Cars besides a mountain of dirt. (well, not exactly a 'mountain', more like a hill)-I wonder what was excavated?

Where the previous slide was blurry, this one is crystal clear. In the distance looms the majestic Los Angeles County Hospital.

(hmmm, I wonder if that 'mountain of dirt' shows up in any vintage aerials? ---hint. for Hoss)
There appear to be other cars outside a "car barn" or other structure in the background on the right. The Pacific Electric logo appears above one of the doors on the car barn. The slide, on E-Bay, gives a date of November 1950 and says "in Macy Yards". There are various other pictures of the Macy Yards or Macy Shops online. The El Sereno Historical Society has a good shot of the Macy Shops with the County Hospital in the background on their website.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 9:01 PM

Thanks for the reminder about the El Dorado, HossC!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 9:07 PM

If anyone watched that classic WS "Game 7" last night...
I had to post a coda to my Catalina Cubs post yesterday:

The information in the post is from two articles, one from
the Long Beach Press-Telegram and the other is from the
Orange County Register.

Jay Berman/OC Register

This man is Lolo Saldaña. He was born on Catalina in 1929, 87 years ago.
He has many memories of the Cubs spring training seasons on Catalina. He played baseball (and golf) in high school
and the boys would often attend afternoon training sessions with the Cubs. Cubs uniforms and equipment were often
passed down to Avalon high school players when they had acquired some wear.

New York Times

Above is a 1947 photo of Lolo Saldaña (right) wearing a 1930 uniform worn by Cubs Hall-of-Famer Hack Wilson
when he had one of the best seasons anyone ever had. Lolo said, “And it just happened to be my size.”

The Cubs would leave Avalon shortly after the March St. Patrick’s Day events and play several spring games at
Wrigley Field in Los Angeles, home of their minor-league affiliate Angels, then make their way to Chicago
for the opening of the season.

Lolo went to college in Long Beach and Cal Poly where he was an excellent golfer and, for one thing or another, he might have turned pro. He had a stint in the Army in the early 50's.

He returned to Catalina and opened a barbershop in 1955 where he still works today. The walls, shelves and tables of Saldaña's shop are covered with baseball (and golf) related sports memorabilia, including photos, newspaper clippings, pennants, bats, hats and helmets. Baseball uniforms – many of them related to Avalon – are in a partitioned back room. It's like a West Coast annex of baseball's Hall of Fame, except you can't get a haircut at the Hall of Fame. More than six decades later, Lolo Saldaña remains a source of Cubs knowledge – and optimism.

He was at his chair, giving a customer a haircut, in mid-December when a neighbor – everyone is pretty much a neighbor in a city of 4,000 – stood in the door and commented on the Cubs' acquisition of pitcher Jon Lester.

“Maybe next year,” Saldaña told him. “This could be the year.”

It was!

MLB/CutFour

On the right, my time traveling Cub [see yesterday's post], first baseman Anthony Rizzo, practicing his 2016 World Series victory leap on Catalina!

"So...we cool now?"

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 9:36 PM

LA Conservancy hosting tour of Clifton's Cafeteria

If you want to tour the restored Clifton's Cafeteria, now's your chance. The reservations begin next week and are $15 for the public ($10 for members of the LA Conservancy).

https://www.laconservancy.org/events/cliftons-tour

I may do it, depending on my availability. Still pondering.

The LA Times has already documented the renovations here

http://www.latimes.com/food/la-dd-cl...togallery.html

And Hoss posted a bunch of the LA times photos here

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=30537

They're also doing a Historic Highlights tour that include The Millennium Biltmore Hotel (1923), PacMutual Building (1921), Central Library (1926), US Bank Tower (1989), and One Bunker Hill (1931).

https://www.laconservancy.org/events...ighlights-tour

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 10:36 PM

Just one image from Julius Shulman today. This is "Job 249: Stiles Oliver Clements, Security-First National Bank (Alhambra, Calif.), 1948". It looks like Mr Shulman got there before the finishing touches (and the sidewalk) were complete.

Getty Research Institute

LAPL has this picture of the completed building.

LAPL

Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I couldn't find an address for the bank online, so I hopped into the Googlemobile for a drive down Main Street with the hope of finding the building still standing. Luck was on my side, because I found it at 200 E Main Street, Alhambra. It even still houses a bank, in this case the First Commercial Bank USA.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post

There appear to be other cars outside a "car barn" or other structure in the background on the right. The Pacific Electric logo appears above one of the doors on the car barn. The slide, on E-Bay, gives a date of November 1950 and says "in Macy Yards". There are various other pictures of the Macy Yards or Macy Shops online. The El Sereno Historical Society has a good shot of the Macy Shops with the County Hospital in the background on their website.
Here's a similar image to the one mentioned by oldstuff. I chose this one because it's larger, although it does cut off the top of the hospital.

www.pacificelectric.org

Returning to the original image, there appears to be a gray car to the right of the car barns (above the K of the watermark). It must've been on Ramona Boulevard. Here's an undated aerial which shows that the 'mountain of dirt' was in fact the hillside that remained after the roadway had been excavated.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

I'd highly recommend checking out the three posts below where Los Angeles Past detailed the construction of Ramona Boulevard with some excellent pictures:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2382
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2383
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2384

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 11:53 PM

Yep, there's my 'mountain of dirt' along Ramona.

I didn't realize the twin street-car barns were so close to Ramona. (and good eye in spotting that gray car...it's nearly invisible)

Thanks for your help oldstuff and HossC.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 12:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Just one image from Julius Shulman today. This is "Job 249: Stiles Oliver Clements, Security-First National Bank (Alhambra, Calif.), 1948". It looks like Mr Shulman got there before the finishing touches (and the sidewalk) were complete.

LAPL

Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I couldn't find an address for the bank online, so I hopped into the Googlemobile for a drive down Main Street with the hope of finding the building still standing. Luck was on my side, because I found it at 200 E Main Street, Alhambra. It even still houses a bank, in this case the First Commercial Bank USA.

GSV
I have a connection to that old bank in Alhambra. When I was about 12 years old my aunt gave me an account in that bank. Each holiday or BD she gave me $5 to deposit in the bank. Eventually I had saved $60. I spent it on my 4 day trip to Rome, Italy in 1969...US military trips were a bit cheaper then.
[Back in those days you actually got interest on your savings....no more].
The inside of that bank has a nice light and bright feeling about it...huge windows on the north and west sides.

The nation of China targeted Alhambra to be one of their prime cities in the USA. Its now more than 49% Chinese immigrants as is San Marino and other nearby cities.
I like Chinese food....especially Shrimp with lobster sauce.

Rome Italy...those Marines were from my ship....USS Francis Marion APA 249

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 4, 2016 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 12:37 AM

Great pic CBD!

'mystery' location.

Does anyone know where in Long Beach this large 'California Garage' was located?

eBay

We've seen numerous 'earthquake' photos on NLA, but I don't remember seeing this large garage. (it's quite an impressive building)
I looks like it was designed with the garage on the interior with offices on the perimeter. (you no doubt entered under the four arched windows)

I wonder if an aerial would show how the building is laid-out (that's not really a hint Hoss, I already asked you once today )

Of course we need to figure out the address first. (I'm getting ahead of myself)
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 4, 2016 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 12:52 AM

While I was trying to find the above photo again on eBay (I couldn't find it ), I happened upon something I didn't know existed.

A Souvenir Folder of the 1933 Earthquake!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Postcard-SOUT...kAAOSwhkRWcBiu

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 4, 2016 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 1:35 AM

Oh no, not another miniature golf course mystery!

I meant to post the following three slides when we were discussing miniature golf last week.

The first pic is the best because there are obvious clues (to the location) on the building next door. (especially Franklin Flower Shop)

http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com...olf-1950s.html

This must be the young lady's boyfriend (?)

Here she strikes a pose.

On the blog where I found the photographs, the comments go back and forth on where this particular miniature golf course was located.
Finally it's decided the location is Hollywood. (which makes sense given the 'Franklin' clue)

So after a litany of comments it's decided (see below)

"Anonymous said...
Clearly Gittleson Brothers' on Hollywood Boulevard! Thanks for posting — many happy memories here,
and an apparent paucity of pictures or info about this wonderful, tree-shaded course...
'

You can check out the disparate comments here: (there are 29 of them!!)

That said, the only address I have in Hollywood for Gittelson is their office in Room 216 at 6513 Hollywood Boulevard (several blocks south of Franklin)

lapl

So, what do you sleuths think? Was this putt-putt course in Hollywood? (it looks like it to me).....but is it a Gittelson Bros. course on Hollywood Blvd.?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 4, 2016 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:41 AM

As Long As We Are Posting Military Photos...

...here is my before and after

April 1971 - I had graduated from Ohio University the month before and was instantly drafted in the Army.
To avoid being killed or Agent Oranged in Vietnam, I joined the Air Force.

A few months later, I was the "sharp troop" you see here.

So you all don't think I was a total loser, I did make Staff Sergeant before I got out in 1974.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
___

Tourist snapshot from 1960 of the Half-Moon bridge in Huntington Gardens (home of Mammillaria geminispina )

ebay

Does anyone know if it's still painted red?

__
It's no longer painted. The Huntington researched it and found that the bridges in Japan were not painted.

(Photo by me.)

Pinky and Blue Boy are in a new gallery that is attached to the old mansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos