HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Oh no, not another miniature golf course mystery!

The first pic is the best because there are obvious clues (to the location) on the building next door. (especially Franklin Flower Shop)

http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com...olf-1950s.html

On the blog where I found the photographs, the comments go back and forth on where this particular miniature golf course was located.
Finally it's decided the location is Hollywood. (which makes sense given the 'Franklin' clue)

So after a whole litany of comments it's decided (see below)

"Anonymous said...
Clearly Gittleson Brothers' on Hollywood Boulevard! Thanks for posting — many happy memories here,
and an apparent paucity of pictures or info about this wonderful, tree-shaded course...
'

That said, the only address I have in Hollywood for Gittelson is their office in Room 216 at 6513 Hollywood Boulevard (several blocks south of Franklin)

So, what do you sleuths think? Was this putt-putt course in Hollywood? (it looks like it to me).....but is it a Gittelson Bros. course on Hollywood Blvd.?
The miniature golf course comes up in the comments of a post on Paradise Leased. In reply, Kevin says "Gittleson Brothers Miniature Golf Course is correct. It was located on Hollywood Blvd. just east of Western on the North side of the street, next to a swim school. I believe “Thai Town” sits on the site now." There's a Facebook post on Vintage Los Angeles (of the picture above) which names the neighbor as Jen Loven's Swimming Center. The CDs say that that was at 5311 Hollywood Boulevard, which places the miniature golf course between N Serrano and N Harvard. I'd post a vintage aerial view, but Photobucket is currently nearly 17 hours into its four hour maintenance!

Although all the sites where I found the picture named the location as Hollywood Boulevard, the 1930s CDs have a jeweler called F H Seymour at 5537 Pasadena Avenue and a florist called Franklin Flower Shop at 5533 Pasadena Avenue. I found that quite a coincidence.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 10:07 PM

It's on the 5500 block of Figueroa* in Highland Park, the jeweler store's window has been bricked in and is now a optical shop(it's across the street from the current home of our old friend, "chicken boy"). The telltale sign is the large white building in the backgound, the Highland Theater.

*Figueroa is called Pasadena Ave in the 1921 Baist's map.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 10:55 PM

Glendale Bill, you are absolutely correct. Since PBucket is maintaining something, here are google sv links. One facade still sports the "Seymour Jeweler" signage. Without giving this much thought, I would surmise the date being late '40s early '50s.

Seymour Jeweler
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1088...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1087...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 11:00 PM

Thanks BillinGlendale, that explains a lot. It looks like the jeweler's sign has been uncovered fairly recently.

www.franklin1962.myevent.com

LAPL, originally posted by e_r

There's an open space visible at 5527 Figueroa on the 1948 and 1952 aerial views which could by the miniature golf course.

Last edited by HossC; Nov 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Replace hotlinked file with hosted one.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC
Although all the sites where I found the picture named the location as Hollywood Boulevard, the 1930s CDs have a jeweler called F H Seymour at 5537 Pasadena Avenue and a florist called Franklin Flower Shop at 5533 Pasadena Avenue. I found that quite a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
It's on the 5500 block of Figueroa* in Highland Park, the jeweler store's window has been bricked in and is now a optical shop(it's across the street from the current home of our old friend, "chicken boy"). The telltale sign is the large white building in the backgound, the Highland Theater.

*Figueroa is called Pasadena Ave in the 1921 Baist's map.
You've earned your stripes today BillinGlendaleCA

I would have bet money the color putt-putt photos were taken somewhere in Hollywood.

So who wants to contact the other blogs and tell them they have the incorrect location?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:29 AM

Do Not Try This Trick At Home.

detail

"Antique Glass Plate Negative, Los Angeles 1920, Auto Club Of So California, Motorcycle With Side_Car"

And yes folks, this is a 'mystery' location.

Here's the whole glass neg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Glas...0AAOSwal5YGTyn

Does this building look familiar to anyone?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:12 AM

Glass Negative #2

This one is fun because of what looms in the background.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Glas...4AAOSwnbZYGT9E

One of NLA's favorite subjects.....L.A. GAS gas-o-meter.

detail

And the building at lower right appears to be the Sperry Flour Company (which still stands!) -minus the two stop floors. -at 1617 E. 7th Street.

Earlier post with 'then and now' photos: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=36351

detail/glass negative

flipped

but what does it say below Sperry?......'something' snow.

So now I'm looking for this Poultry Company (I don't see it on Hoss's baist map)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 5, 2016 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:18 AM

Oh, and by the way, the trucks are R.E.O. (look below the steering wheel)

detail
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 5, 2016 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 3:28 AM

And not just an REO, but an early REO Speedwagon. (And people thought they made that name up.)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 3:31 AM

Sperry drifted snow flour

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 5:12 AM

Thanks Blaster.

re: The elusive 'Magnetic Mountain'

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/serv...164&trs=68252#

I've looked high and low for information on the 'Magnetic Mountain' featured in the tourist maps back in the 1920s and 30s (shown above)

I guess someone who lives in Los Angeles could drive up to Magnetic Terrace and see if their car rolls uphill. (shown below) -its a really short street.

gsv

The grade of the hill looks exactly the same as the 'magnetic hill' in Rose Hill Cemetery (shown below)

If you like, you can experience the mystifying magnetism in the youtube video below.

I like it when the girl's passenger says...."That's Creeeeepy."

Video Link

A little more info:

Whittier Gravity Hill

This gravity hill is rumored to be in a cemetery called Rose Hills located in Whittier, California (down in the Los Angeles area) on Workman Mill Road.
Apparently Rose Hills Cemetery has several entrances and several different sections. The gravity hill is located in the section that contains the rose gardens.
Proceed past the entrance gates and burial vaults, turn right and proceed along the base of a small hill, then make your first left and you are on the gravity hill.
Park near the bottom, put car in neutral and you will roll up the hill. Park at the top and you will not roll down. It works for cars, bicycles, and skateboards.

james rangel vlogs wrote:

"I live in Whittier and it's true! People say it's all the little kid's spirits trying to push you away."

In Quebec they have something called the 'Cote Magnetique'.

http://cabinsatlopstick.com/adventur...magnetic-hill/

So did I entice anyone to drive up to Magnetic Terrace?

originally posted by BifRayRock
__

side-note.

re: That second 1929 map.

I don't think we ever found any information on that Monkey Farm in Culver City either.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 9:15 AM

Even though Photobucket still haven't announced that their site is back up, it let me upload some images just now, so here's yesterday's Julius Shulman post.

I recently posted Julius Shulman pictures of Hardin Oldsmobile in Anaheim. Here's Steffy Buick, Anaheim from the same year. This is "Job 3719: William Ficker, Steffy Buick (Anaheim, Calif.), 1964".

Following on from the Smith and Williams Office Building, we have more hanging globes.

Shiny new cars inside, used cars outside. What are the cars on the far right?

All from Getty Research Institute

Many sources give an address of 953 S Anaheim Boulevard. I can see the building on the aerial views up to 1980. The 1994 image shows an empty lot, and the 2003 image shows the current building, the Walnut Grove Medical Center.

Last edited by HossC; Nov 13, 2016 at 2:02 PM. Reason: Fix link.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:12 PM

Re the third picture... in addition to the '64 Riviera in the showroom, and the range of Skylarks, LeSabres, Electras, Wildcats etc, the cars at right are Opels, which were sold by Buick in those days....

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:38 PM

Richfield Oil Tower

I loved this Art Deco building from my youth. Torn down in 1968 to build the ARCO twins. Something like it--but taller--should be built in DTLA.

Is there a developer out there who can build a 50+ (75????) story version? It would be AWESOME!!! L.A.'s Empire State Building.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca0...403p/resource/

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca0...407p/resource/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richfi...ia_(65013).jpg

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:

'mystery' location.

Does anyone know where in Long Beach this large 'California Garage' was located?

eBay

We've seen numerous 'earthquake' photos on NLA, but I don't remember seeing this large garage. (it's quite an impressive building)
I looks like it was designed with the garage on the interior with offices on the perimeter. (you no doubt entered under the four arched windows)

I wonder if an aerial would show how the building is laid-out (that's not really a hint Hoss, I already asked you once today )

Of course we need to figure out the address first. (I'm getting ahead of myself)
Here's another post that was delayed by Photobucket's outage.

The 1932/33 Long Beach CD lists the California Garage at 727 E 3rd Street. Could this be the same building? The windows on the upper floor appear to match.

GSV

---------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Re the third picture... in addition to the '64 Riviera in the showroom, and the range of Skylarks, LeSabres, Electras, Wildcats etc, the cars at right are Opels, which were sold by Buick in those days....
Thanks, GW. It was the Opels that were throwing me. I knew they weren't Buicks, but I just couldn't place them.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 5:36 PM

Could be Hoss! You're right, the second story windows match. I think that's it buddy!

I'll have to jump in the google-mobile and go take a look-see. (I really expected it to be long gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
...here is my before and after

April 1971 - I had graduated from Ohio University the month before and was instantly drafted in the Army.
To avoid being killed or Agent Oranged in Vietnam, I joined the Air Force.

This Bob Dylan poster was designed by Milton Glaser in 1966.

(the poster above was acquired by the Cooper Hewitt Museum/NYC in 2007)
It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.

You still have that poster FredH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH
A few months later, I was the "sharp troop" you see here.

I did make Staff Sergeant before I got out in 1974.
I've never heard of the term "sharp troop" before, but I have to admit you do look sharp.

Thanks for sharing your photographs!
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 5, 2016 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 5:58 PM

'mystery' location.

Does anyone recognize what street this is in Montebello?

"Montebello Fun Days 1959"

eBay

eBay

eBay

__

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 6:16 PM

Oh, is that what that Spielberg movie that came out this year was about...BFG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I loved this Art Deco building from my youth. Torn down in 1968 to build the ARCO twins. Something like it--but taller--should be built in DTLA.

You actually got to see the Richfield Building in person! In color!
Did you ever see the NBC Building at Sunset & Vine?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:

'mystery' location.

Does anyone recognize what street this is in Montebello?

"Montebello Fun Days 1959"

eBay
The pictures were taken on Whittier Boulevard in Montebello. Here are the businesses as they appeared in the 1960 CD. For search purposes: Antoyan Motors, B F Goodrich and the Aluminum Awning Company.

LAPL

This might be the Aluminum Awning Company store, but there's no trace of the other buildings.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Could be Hoss! You're right, the second story windows match. I think that's it buddy!

I'll have to jump in the google-mobile and go take a look-see. (I really expected it to be long gone)

This Bob Dylan poster was designed by Milton Glaser in 1966.

(the poster above was acquired by the Cooper Hewitt Museum/NYC in 2007)
It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.

You still have that poster FredH?

I've never heard of the term "sharp troop" before, but I have to admit you do look sharp.

Thanks for sharing your photographs!
_
ER - The photo was taken at my sister's apartment in Silver Springs Md. I doubt if she still has the Bob Dylan poster.

A sharp troop is supposed to be someone who wears a nice crisp uniform, has a nice haircut, and presents what they called good military bearing. Since I was out of uniform, with my fatigue shirt and civilian blue jeans, (and drinking a beer) I was making a joke on myself. The Vietnam era military was pretty off-kilter anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos