HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 7:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
The Carol & Co website gives a Feb 24, 1936 date for the photo plus bio bits for some of those pictured.

A search of interior pix of Ocean House didn't turn up one of this particular staircase, but there is one of a hallway also w/ scenic wallpaper:

pinterest

pinterest
The Mrs. Hearst, being Catholic, refused to give William a divorce so that he could marry Marion Davies.....sad really.

Marion's life is much more interesting and complex than most people realize today. Read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Davies

Its not true that Mr. Hearst was attracted to Marion because she was a famous movie star. He knew her from her teenage years... before she ever appeared in a movie.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 12, 2017 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 8:36 AM

El Molino Mills Alhambra

A friend sent me this small Vandercook-book knowing I'd like it....

SCB

SCB

I searched for a picture of the building and found this

http://www.cityofalhambra.org/images...olinomill.jpeg

I was unable, however, to locate an exterior view....the address leads to the terminus of the 710, but just outside the border of Alhambra limits..........whatever was there is gone. Anybody have any insight as to where El Molino Mills was?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"SteepleJill in Action"

I happened upon this fantastic photograph last night on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherie-May-w...EAAOSwr~lYnMFi

"Miss Cherie May, the only steeplejack on the west coast, perches on her board atop
the 14 story Hilton hotel in los angeles, and works on an electric sign."

ebay

I'm surprised the building is described as a Hilton hotel. Wouldn't it have been the Mayflower Hotel when this photograph was taken?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Mayflower didn't become part of the Hilton chain until the 1950s.

I smell "FAKE NEWS"... rather than being "the only woman steeplejack on the west coast," Cherie May was a stuntwoman--flying, racing cars etc. Quite a few reports of publicity stunts featuring her in the '20s/'30s.

LAT 4-7-28/5-28-32

LAT 5-16-32/5-21-32/5-29-32

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

I searched for a picture of the building and found this

http://www.cityofalhambra.org/images...olinomill.jpeg

I was unable, however, to locate an exterior view....the address leads to the terminus of the 710, but just outside the border of Alhambra limits..........whatever was there is gone. Anybody have any insight as to where El Molino Mills was?
I can't even see a likely building on the 1948 aerial view (the earliest available). For comparison, I've included a current view.

Historic Aerials/Google Maps

A little further digging suggests that at some point the company moved to 3060 E Valley Boulevard, possibly to avoid the path of the freeway. That's the building marked JK Restaurant Eq[uipment] on the right of the view above. Here's the front.

GSV

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:

Here's another "castle" in Alhambra. It looks very low rent compared to the Pyrenees Castle.
I believe it says Diamond Castle on the turret. Anyone know the history of this one?

USC Digital Library
While I was looking through vintage images of Alhambra to try and find a picture of the El Molino Mills for ScottyB, I found several photos of a pair of castles. The first, the Diamond Castle, previously appeared on NLA in late 2010 (above), but doesn't seem to have received any replies. The article below is from the April 1921 issue of Popular Science. I have no idea what "castles in the air" were being built by Mrs McClain.

books.google.com

This view of Diamond Castle is from LAPL. There are a few variations in the design. Note that they place it in Pasadena, and spell the owner's name differently.

Exterior view of Alexander McLean's residence, known as "Diamond Castle," in Pasadena.

LAPL

They also have several pictures of Tiree Castle. The earliest is dated 1916, and one of them gives an alternate street number of 444 (of unidentified street). Another comes with a note saying "Information on the photo verso states that this home became a restaurant in 1935, but is no longer in existence.".

Tiree Castle, a home in the form of a small castle in Alhambra, no longer exists. It was built by Alexander MacLean at number 414 of unidentified street. The woman on the left is Archie Maclean Owen, on the right is her sister Irene MacLean Fry.

LAPL

I finally tracked down this picture of Diamond Castle in a book called 'Alahmbra' by Michael Anthony Orozco and the Alhambra Historical Society. It gives the address as 414 W Grand Avenue. I find it a bit coincidental that both castles would have the same street number, but the 400 blocks of the cross streets of W Grand Avenue are directly north of it, and the Popular Science article says that one castle can be seen from the other.

books.google.com

Just as I was about to post, I found this clipping on Pinterest with some interesting information about Tiree Castle. There's no credit, but the original yellow highlighting suggests that it came from an online source. The page also has other pictures of both castles, one of which lists the address of Tiree Castle as 414 Grand Avenue. I wonder which castle was actually at that address.

Pinterest

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
It's an addition?

This is such a great find Chuckaluck! It's truly remarkable.

If you remember, we discussed this mysterious apartment complex earlier in the thread. I don't believe we ever came up with a good photograph of the place.

Below: A large portion of Normandy Towers is quite a distance from the street. The property looks to be in the shape of a L (lying down) with the west portion (left in the photo) continuing behind the private home.

google aerial

This is the view from Poinsettia Place. The sign simply says 'historic building'.

google street view

...see, I told you.

google street view

__

Normandie Towers revisited. "Charlie Chaplin's Courtyard Cottages" 7219 Hampton Ave. http://www.wehoville.com/2016/02/29/...est-hollywood/ Building permit? The structures were reportedly constructed in '24.

(Non-historic WHollywood zanja? )
GoogleSV

GoogleSV

GoogleSV

"Normandie Towers" (Pay no attention to the Chaplin apparition.)

Beyond the foliage.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8819/1...9863acf7_b.jpg

Revisited this remarkable 1926-image of the immediate area, remembered mostly for the Thief of Baghdad set on the Pickford-Fairbanks-UA lot. The mystery complex is barely discernable. Some NLA'ers might take interest in what appears to be on-going construction of the once-familiar Gasometer at roughly Formosa and Romaine. Unclear from the photo whether Formosa was much more than a dirt path near the GMTR. E.E. Kimbach's Dog Hospital appears substantial enough to house a zoo.

1926 - Pickford-Fairbanks Studio and surrounds.
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll65/id/4367

Poinsettia Pl. -1926

Poinsettia Dr. - 1926
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll65/id/4367

GoogleMap

1237 Poinsettia Dr. and Hampton
GoogleSV

EE Kimbach's Dog Hospital formerly at 7151 Santa Monica Blvd.

Last edited by BifRayRock; Feb 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 6:57 PM

Excellent post BifRayRock....very interesting!

I never noticed the 'mystery' building is visible in the 1926 'Thief of Baghdad'/Pickford-Fairbanks photo

Still perplexed by the sign on Poinsettia Place that simply says 'Historic Place'. (why even have it there if it's not going to tell you anything informative)

(funny comment about the zanja ) lol.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 8:15 PM

Thanks for the additional information on the Sumner Maurice Spaulding store in Pomona, tovangar2.

From one of Julius Shulman's earliest photosets to one of his later ones. This is "Job 6174: Bernard Zimmerman, Office Building (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1983". I've picked five of the seven black & white images, but omitted all the color shots. The first photo gives away the location as the corner of Olympic Boulevard and Maple Drive.

There's an airy stairwell at the side of the building.

The current Avon Rent-A-Car sign across Maple Drive seems to use old Precision VW frame seen here.

This external stairwell is at the rear.

I'll finish with the only interior view.

All from Getty Research Institute

The office building still looks very like the omitted color images, right down to the red rail on the roof. Despite there being 11 differently dated GSV images available for Olympic Boulevard east of Maple Drive, the Googlemobile misses the next few blocks to the west, which is odd.

GSV

The office building is directly opposite the former Beverly Hills Ford dealership which can be seen in Handsome Stranger's post #7549.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

A little further digging suggests that at some point the company moved to 3060 E Valley Boulevard, possibly to avoid the path of the freeway. That's the building marked JK Restaurant Eq[uipment] on the right of the view above. Here's the front.

GSV

Thanks Hoss! Apparently they moved to City of Industry later on.....I'm surprised I don't remember seeing any of their products growing up.

ebay

ebay

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 9:05 PM

A pasting ?

Quote:
"SteepleJill in Action"

Grand Avenue in all it's glory ! I looked at it close to enjoy it and didn't recognize the big dark building on the right at the top. Then it seemed too tall and too broad to be there – I guess at Olive and Third approximately – so I began to suspect a photo pasting.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

Thanks Hoss! Apparently [El Molino Mills] moved to City of Industry later on.....I'm surprised I don't remember seeing any of their products growing up.
The address I found was 345 N Baldwin Park Boulevard, City of Industry. It was an empty lot until recently, although the oldest GSV images show a large warehouse-type building there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:

"SteepleJill in Action"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post

Grand Avenue in all it's glory ! I looked at it close to enjoy it and didn't recognize the big dark building on the right at the top. Then it seemed too tall and too broad to be there – I guess at Olive and Third approximately – so I began to suspect a photo pasting.
I'm pretty sure that that's the Casa Alta Hotel/Apartments at 317 S Olive Street. The view below is from 1930.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 11:14 PM
BANNED

L.A. Herald Express, Saturday, September 22, 1951, with the caption, "John Paine says he was raped 9 times." [not the actor]
This was while he was being held in the L.A County Jail on pending charges and investigation. He complained about being sexually harassed while in jail. He probably needed to be in protective custody.

flickr

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 12, 2017 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 12:35 AM

Lightbulb Edgeware, Colton, Temple area from 1963 with OIL WELLS

Quote:
I've been intrigued by this large house northwest of downtown for quite some time.

gsv

I've been quite taken by this location myself ever since I saw Falling Down. Incredible view. This hill was worn down and less populated by then.

I just stumbled across this amazing video that showcases the Colton, Bixel, Court, Temple etc area from 1963. The whole hill looked populated with houses.
I think the Edgeware House is featured around 15:05 in the video. Not sure. It might have changed a little since '63.

Video Link

Same area in 1991 (Colton street is the road to the left of the White Square building on the right edge):

Photo by William Reagh. Can't remember where I found it. Had it saved on my pc.

I've been following this thread since 2011. Don't stop posting.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
The sailor is going on or returning from a weekend liberty because he's carryin what us Army guys called an AWOL bag. It has enough room to hold a weekend's supplies and is easy to carry on your lap on a bus or plane.
The real mystery is : How does he keep that cap on so far back on his head? Is it pinned there like a yarmulke?
He looks like he has been in the Navy for awhile...ribbons on his chest, turned up sleeves...hat on the back of his head...takes some doing.
This picture reminds me of when, in 1952, I was in the Navy... stationed in Long Beach...I would take the Red Car from the LA Subway Bldg. to Terminal Island...after staying the weekend with my folks. I remember many of those early foggy mornings walking to catch the train...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found several photos of a pair of castles.

On the subject of castles and "Castle Architecture" there is a notable example at 2925 Beechwood Drive, complete with an unknown (to me) noble archer. (Wonder if the residents get mail addressed to Sir Galahad. Rumor has it that Uther Pendragon summered in Los Feliz with Sir Guy of Gisbourne).

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/72818

GoogleSVU

1926 - Ginger or Blondie?

King Arthur or Dorian Gray?
GoogleSVU

And on a somewhat related note, The Enchanted Castle at 4857 Melrose deserves honorable mention. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=5421 http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=16112

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 12:42 AM

Here's a wonderful candid shot of Jean Harlow. (I'm always surprised when I come across a Jean Harlow photo that I've never seen before)

http://vintagegal.co.uk/vintage-fash...ion-obsession/

It shows Jean posing with friends Johnny and Ruth Hamp in Tijuana, Mexico.

I like what they're doing with their feet. You can tell they're having a grand day out.

& here's Jean with the Hamps again, this time at the Cocoanut Grove in March of 1933.

http://thecocoanutgrove.tumblr.com/p...t-grove-to-see

Across the table are Dick Powell, vocalist June MacCloy and Jack Campbell.

(I thought Dick Powell had a 'toothbrush' mustache, but on closer inspection I believe it's the top of that Geisha doll's hair-do)

info:

"Jean Harlow's close friend Ruth Hamp was the second wife of bandleader Johnny Hamp.
Ruth inherited the rights to Harlow's unpublished manuscript, "Today Is Tonight," from Harlow's mother Jean Harlow Bello
and subsequently published the romance novel in 1965."

Here's a studio portrait of all three.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...r&GRid=7995123

Has anyone read "Today is Tonight"?

I had no idea it even existed.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 13, 2017 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
I've been quite taken by this location myself ever since I saw Falling Down.
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but I've never seen 'Falling Down'. (not a big Michael Douglas fan)

Falling Down [1993]

http://www.themoviedistrict.com/falling-down/

But it certainly looks intriguing....now I can't wait to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen
I've been following this thread since 2011. Don't stop posting.
So glad you've been following NLA.

& thanks for the video link. (we've covered it before, but it was great to watch it again)

from the video

screenshot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQQ4US0t80M

I meant to ask this earlier. Can anyone make out the name of this noirish looking greasy spoon? (it looks like it begins with a B)

It's behind the bush in the photo below-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manitobamuseum/2982773090
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 13, 2017 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:00 AM

Black Cat Tavern

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...210-story.html

Laindependentdot com

A plaque on the wall outside the Black Cat Tavern in Silver Lake commemorates a demonstration held Feb. 11, 1967, protesting police raids Jan. 1, 1967 that saw six men arrested for kissing other men.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos